Leica CL Announced - Mirrorless APS-C Camera with EVF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope you are right. I am very much impressed by Panasonic technology.  My GX8 makes me wish there were a Leica version with a Leica-type UI.

Jaapv, I wish there was a Lumix version of the Q... Like a more affordable PanasoniQ. I bet the GX8 with the Leica 15mm must make quite a nice combination.

Guest sailfish

If the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH lens or Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 lens were coupled to the new Leica CL camera via the M Adapter, will the camera auto focus feature be operable? I think this is the case but would appreciate confirmation on this point. Thank you.

If the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH lens or Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 lens were coupled to the new Leica CL camera via the M Adapter, will the camera auto focus feature be operable? I think this is the case but would appreciate confirmation on this point. Thank you.

No AF with M lenses plus adapter on CL.

AF only with T, TL, SL lenses.

All Leica M lenses are manual focus, so there is no way for the camera to set focus automatically.

All Leica M lenses are manual focus, so there is no way for the camera to set focus automatically.

Techart PRO's adapter (M lenses to Sony) allows autofocus to work with M-lenses. But who wants to use a Sony anyway ;-). CL for the win.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ask the CL has the stabilizer?
thank you
marco from Florence

Very sadly not, nor has it sensor cleaning, which might be an even bigger omission. Given that Olympus and Sony can fit it in even smaller cameras, the size limitation of the CL is not a great excuse. As it is not even dust sealed like the SL, in very dusty environments, that will mean cleaning the sensor every few days. Leica do not even mention sensor cleaning in the manual, which again, is a distinct omission. 

Wilson

....it's hard to see that the Q - irrespective of it's popularity up to now - can offer something truely unique compared to the L-systems...

A sensor which does not accumulate dust as badly as camera body taking interchangeable lenses. Edited by jaapv
repair quote

A sensor which does not accumulate dust as badly as camera body taking interchangeable lenses.

Not my experience with the SL after 2+ years of regular use. I have cleaned the sensor once (or possibly 2 times) during this time - that's all. 

• Like 1

Not my experience with the SL after 2+ years of regular use. I have cleaned the sensor once (or possibly 2 times) during this time - that's all. 

Me too. The SL stays remarkably clean to the extent for shorter trips with the SL, I don't now bother taking a sensor cleaning kit. I would not dream of even going off on a week-end trip with a digital M, without at least a basic sensor cleaning kit of a couple of wands and a mini-bottle of Visible Dust fluid plus a HEPA Rocket Blower. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I only needed to wet clean my M240 once in two years, and have yet to wet clean my M10. But I change lenses infrequently and often indoors before a daily outing where I may use only one or two lenses. My M8.2 required more attention.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can the EVF brightness be adjusted on the CL?

(Long running gripe with the SL!!!)

Has anyone tried the Novoflex Eos adapter to see if this will work with Canon lenses?

I am very tempted by the CL. Just trying to work out which camera has to go to make room for it!

• Like 1

No adjustment .... just like the SL. No issues for me even in bright light though. 

The Novoflex adapters only work with the SL ...... for AF as it accesses the SL firmware to do this.

The TL/TL2 are incompatible and the CL will no doubt be the same (I will check later today)

• Like 1

Never quite understood why only the back LCD (OLED?) can be adjusted for brightness but not the EVF. I find the SL OK but I know others don't like it. I suppose the reasoning is that the EVF is always covered by your eye so ambient lighting does not alter like it does for the back screen. 

Wilson

• Like 1

well it does ...... in the sense that it renders the subject in the EVF as if it was perfectly exposed. If it functions like the SL, it is not adjusted to compensate for ambient light at the rear of the camera .... or if it is I have never noticed it. A small number of users had issues with the SL EVF being too dark when used in bright sunlight etc. With the CL finder being offset you can get your eye up very close and generally block out most ambient light so I can't see it being much of an issue ...... particularly for those with more neanderthal genes ....

• Like 1

but the SL has sensor cleaning, the cl not. I have had quite a bit dust on my T cameras so if the CL is likt e the TL it is quite prone to dust and sensor shake anti dust function would be very welcome.

• Like 2