LUF Admin

Leica CL Announced - Mirrorless APS-C Camera with EVF

I might get one just to keep my film CL company. Does it do back-button focusing?

I believe it's by touch screen, as one reviewer complained that his nose tended to reposition focus.

It also appears that the CL is not weather sealed.

If so, these characteristics would make the SL more appealing for me. If only the native SL zooms were smaller and lighter (even at the expense of AF and/or focal length range).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

It's been a while since I've owned a Leica, but this may be the one I want to get. I stopped using and eventually sold my M, due to not enjoying manual focus with a rangefinder. I'm much better at it with an SLR.

I'll wait a year to see how Leica takes the time to do some firmware updates, but I may actually save up for this camera/lens combo. 

My only question is if it is water/dust resistant.

My only question is if it is water/dust resistant.

As I wrote, no, at least according to one review. Ok for drizzle and such, but not sealed like the SL.

Jeff

Leica got this sorta right.

The CL is well within the hipster photographers  budget and has that retro vintage appeal that is loved by this segment of the consumer market.

It may  also appeal to the disgruntled Fuji XE2 owners.

Except for the 35mm the lenses are a tad slow a couple of f1.2 lenses would make the whole CL line very desirable

Edited by imants

Leica got this sorta right.

The CL is well within the hipster photographers  budget and has that retro vintage appeal that is loved by this segment of the consumer market.

It may  also appeal to the disgruntled Fuji XE2 owners.

Except for the 35mm the lenses are a tad slow a couple of f1.2 lenses would make the whole CL line very desirable

No hipster, no disgruntled XE2 owner, although I do not like this X-trans sensor nonsense, but an owner of a bag full of M-lenses and a buyer of the CL. The CL will replace a loooong in the tooooth Rico GXR-m-mount and provide access to decent af lenses at the same time.

I'm not up with this at all. Why are Fuji XE2 owners disgruntled? Why would the Leica CL be better?

Disgruntled with what Fuji produced with the  X-E3 as it seems to move away from the classic style of camera  with its joystick bells and whistles  etc The Leica may be a better option despite the touch screen

Edited by imants

I understand that Leica UK are hoping, if all goes to plan, to have some limited initial deliveries in December. As I am top of the list at my dealer, hopefully therefore, I should have one by the time I leave on a trip to the Caribbean and New Orleans in mid-January. This dealer did very well on the SL and I had one in my hands on the day after the official UK release date.

Wilson

the Cl is really amazing !!!

it is full frame APS-C  (way better than the old original  35mm image area)

is has amazing EVF resolution 2,360,000 - I think that is class leading

It is water proof to 10000m+ above sea level

the best thing is it only costs $795 ( when you trade in an M10 , SL or better )

... what did I miss ???

it is full frame APS-C (way better than the old original 35mm image area)

is has amazing EVF resolution 2,360,000 - I think that is class leading

the best thing is it only costs $795 ( when you trade in an M10 , SL or better )

... what did I miss ???

It's sleek and clutter-free without joystick, back focus button or tilt screen.

Jeff

It's sleek and clutter-free without joystick, back focus button or tilt screen.

Jeff

I don't know. It's not water-resistant, and it doesn't have a tilty-flippy screen (at least it has touch). For the price, for a camera aimed at (richer) enthusiasts, why not have more versatility in the screen?

The more I think about it, the more I know that Leica is just a name, and people buy it because of that. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but how long can they last on just a legacy? 

Personally, I like how the camera looks; I was about to get one, but then I ran across a Fuji again and I just can't justify buying a Leica due to the price and how less useful it is compared to a Fuji.

I don't know. It's not water-resistant, and it doesn't have a tilty-flippy screen (at least it has touch). For the price, for a camera aimed at (richer) enthusiasts, why not have more versatility in the screen?

The more I think about it, the more I know that Leica is just a name, and people buy it because of that. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but how long can they last on just a legacy?

Personally, I like how the camera looks; I was about to get one, but then I ran across a Fuji again and I just can't justify buying a Leica due to the price and how less useful it is compared to a Fuji.

I was merely playing with the post above mine. While it's always entertaining to participate in these new model frenzies.... the speculations and the inevitable debates after...Leica offers capable tools with increasingly diverse choices. And almost always including terrific lenses.

These are good times for photographers. Choices abound across brands. I hope Leica succeeds with each new product release, as continued profitability is good for all current customers. I've been one for over 35 years, although not likely a CL buyer. Maybe an SL, though, depending on the future native lens line.

Jeff

it is full frame APS-C  (way better than the old original  35mm image area)

is has amazing EVF resolution 2,360,000 - I think that is class leading

... what did I miss ???

I like how waterproof it is at altitude. Great for sea-level rises. 

Seriously, I wonder about how dusty the sensor will get while changing lenses. Always a big concern in a windy climate. 

I am a recent convert to the SL, after a couple of years with Sony's Nex/A7 range. Extensive use in China in recent weeks has made it clear that, sensor apart, this the best camera I've owned. Not so say the sensor is inadequate - far from it - but for heavy cropping the 42mp Sony is better. The SL's sharpness has been a revelation, notwithstanding this.

I see the CL as a natural accompaniment. More of a sidekick than backup body. I too tried one in Mayfair and was also surprised by its compact size. It will fit my jacket pocket with the 18mm pancake lens attached. Great idea to make this a pancake! This also means it is a useful alternative to the Q for street work although the inability to preset distance focusing accurately may still make the Q the preferred choice. However, the Q can't take all the other T, SL, M and R lenses so I doubt this minor disadvantage matters.

So, I have ordered a CL and, after a couple of years' dithering, have finally decided against the Q. It will be interesting to see if this impacts Q sales. I think it might well.

I like how waterproof it is at altitude. Great for sea-level rises. 

Seriously, I wonder about how dusty the sensor will get while changing lenses. Always a big concern in a windy climate. 

David, 

I would hope the CL would have the same sensor auto-clean facility that the SL does. I did not expect a lot from the SL but its sensor stays amazingly clean. I have only had to clean mine twice in the two years (and three days) that I have had the camera. Of course with the 24-90, I change lenses a lot less frequently than I do when using an M. 

Wilson

David, 

I would hope the CL would have the same sensor auto-clean facility that the SL does. I did not expect a lot from the SL but its sensor stays amazingly clean. I have only had to clean mine twice in the two years (and three days) that I have had the camera. Of course with the 24-90, I change lenses a lot less frequently than I do when using an M. 

Wilson

Wish I could say the same. The sensor cleaning on the SL is weak compared with Sony / Canon, etc and mine got very dusty in just a few days heavy use (albeit with infrequent lens changes) recently. Not stuck on dust and easily removable at Leica Store (although the Rocket blower would not shift it) but worse than other sensors I've used. YMMV