Leica CL Announced - Mirrorless APS-C Camera with EVF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica today introduces the Leica CL, a new mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor. Sensor and image processor are indentical to the Leica TL2 but design and user interface remind more of classic Leica values. Another big difference is the electronic EyeRes viewfinder with 2,36 MP resolution.

The Leica CL will be available by end of November in black only, the price is $2,795 / £ 2,250 / 2,490 €.

» Details about the Leica CL

Leica CL at a glance:

• 24 MP CMOS sensor and Maestro II image processor
  • Electronic viewfinder (2,36 MP) with 0,74x maginfication
  • Electronic shutter up to 1/25,000 sec (until 1/8.000 sec mechanical)
  • Contrast AF with 49 AF sensor elements
  • Sensitivity ISO 100 – 50,000
  • Serial speed 10 fps
  • 4k Video at 30 fps, Full HD 60 fps
  • WiFi / Remote operation via App
  • UHS II compatible

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LUF Admin
Added price information
  • Like 7

Just seen and played with the CL at Leica Mayfair. I'm coming at it as a M240, SL and TL2 owner, for whom the TL2 is my pocketable, going out to dinner camera.

My big surprise was how small it is. Shorter from side to side by a few mm than the TL2, and the basic body height is less. The CL's EVF just tops the TL2's shutter button.

My interest was AF in particular. I tested it in dark doorways in Bruton Place with my 60 and 23 and with the new 18. The 18 was fast, as I expected. The 60 was much faster than on the TL2 both in reduced hunting, and in faster focus movement. I could still get it to hunt, but I had to work at it. I hope they can update the TL2 to do the same in firmware. My 6 v s firmware was updated on the CL, so I'll see if that makes a difference on its own.

For those who get hot looking at camera bodies, this one is neat and jewel-like. The much discussed bumps just don't stand out.

Bottom line - I may see if I can swap my TL2 for the CL.

• Like 8

Increasingly I am finding the SL, excellent though it is, too heavy to carry around for a half day, let alone a whole day. This could be my answer. I am a fan of the film CL and often use it with the 35 ASPH Summicron. The only downside is the lack of weatherproofing, although, I have noted Jono's comments on his Blog on the new CL. 

Wilson

• Like 2

I have ended up putting a CL and standard zoom on order with Ffordes. I have asked if they will take the SL 90-280 zoom tele off my hands. I have hardly ever used it, as I find it just too heavy. It stirs up the arthritis in my cervical spine after about 5 minutes use and I have never been a big tripod user. 

Wilson

One other thing.....

Although this looks like a typical Leica, a mini M, I was told it is also cast and machined alloy, like the SL and TL. I didn't look closely, but I don't think this is leather or fake leather covered - it's a textured finish of some sort. It didn't feel any the worse for that.

Probably be another year or two before it appears in this country if at all -- much like the mythical M10! Great idea, something missing from the Leica line-up for a long time. My only beef is where are the settings on the shutter dial? Traditional analog style controls are so much easier.

Probably be another year or two before it appears in this country if at all -- much like the mythical M10! Great idea, something missing from the Leica line-up for a long time. My only beef is where are the settings on the shutter dial? Traditional analog style controls are so much easier.

I haven't looked at the manual, but I imagine the shutter is one of the two soft dials on the right, above the LCD.  As wit the TL2, depending on which mode you're in (P-A-S-M), those two dials will either control aperture and shutter, aperture and magnification or shutter and exposure compensation.  As they're soft dials, you can sign them as you wish.

I agree that traditional dials are easier, but this camera, like the TL2, is fully electronic - so Leica has reduced the dials and doubled up their use.  Actually, more than doubled.

Interesting that the EVF has slightly less resolution (pixels) than the 020 version on the TL2 and M10.  I'm not sure that will matter.  I'll be sticking with my TL2.

• Like 1

Something very wrong with your distributor in NZ! Both M246 and M10 were available here in Oz within 4-6 weeks of order.  Regarding the CL, I'll stick with my X100F for now ;>)

It's hard to tell if you would like the camera without actually being able to see it in store. New products take ages to arrive. I guess were are just a small market so not really worth bothering with. There was one M10 in Christchurch for a while. 

It's hard to tell if you would like the camera without actually being able to see it in store. New products take ages to arrive. I guess were are just a small market so not really worth bothering with. There was one M10 in Christchurch for a while. 

Small but beautifully formed  :)

Wilson

• Like 1

I don't think I'd have any trouble getting either an M10 or a CL if I wanted them.  I got the TL2 very soon after the release.

Yeah, but were they in store? I can order them here, too, but it's nice to see them in the metal if possible.  

Yeah, but were they in store? I can order them here, too, but it's nice to see them in the metal if possible.  

Progear has a reasonable number of Leica products in store.  I tend to buy everything either online or to order - I rarely go into the shops to look.  Leica has been trying to establish a "boutique" here for some time (not an official Leica Store), but as usual their requirements for carrying purchased stock were too onerous.

• Like 1