Fomapan R100 Transparancy Film

mikemgb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

B&H currently has this in stock, has anyone tried it?

I always wanted to try Agfa Scala but back in the day I couldn't really afford it so never bought any. I'm seriously considering buying 8 rolls of Fomapan and a developing kit, reviews are not positive, would I just be wasting money?

Some research tells me the R100 film may just be regular Foma 100 repackaged. The magic is in the R100 developing kit, which is a DR5 kit capable of reverse processing just about any black and white film, supposedly it works very well on TMax 100 as well as Fomapan 100.

I may pick up a kit sometime and play with it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have been shooting for years with Scala, and still have a small batch left.

So I tried the new formulation of Fomapan R100 with great anticipation, wanting to fill the gap in my film stock.

Try what ! can, the results with R100 are far below Scala in many conditions.

The darker regions all seem to 'close up' wth Fomapan R100, (higher infrared sensitivity?) whilst Scala delivers wonderful gradations even in shadowy areas.

For me the  loss of Scala was a bigger shock than losing Ektachrome....(Which we hope will come back).

So far, in a side by side comparison, I have to admit that the ADOX Silvermax is by far the closest to Scala for B/W transparencies, closely followed by Rollei Retro 80, also developed as slide.

Scala was so chromatically subtle from white to black and everything in between that I never missed color film when using it.

Sumolux

Edited by sumolux
  • Like 1