The case for buying good quality binoculars ...

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On a number of occasions I've been surprised by some Leica enthusiasts' binocular choices; they've bought cheap Chinese binoculars not knowing the first thing about what constitutes a good binocular or how to use them properly … or how to assess them before purchase. Why is it that some photographers who appreciate Leica quality cameras and lenses, seem content to use cheap binoculars which are incapable of providing good observing experiences? 

The following article documents one particular Chinese model's shortcomings and thus might be of interest to anyone contemplating purchase of a binocular:

https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?art=174

… if you're considering buying a binocular please don't judge by external appearances and take note of the article's findings. 

If you cannot afford a new Leica binocular there are usually lots of secondhand models listed by Leica dealers. 

I've always found that secondhand non-Chinese binoculars, particularly Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Meopta, offer far better value and performance than the 'badge engineered' Chinese models. 

If you want to buy a binocular and are not sure what to look for or which type to consider there are lots of articles online to help you e.g. 

https://www.allbinos.com/10.1-article-All_you_want_to_know_about_binoculars_but_you_are_ashamed_of_asking_Why_binoculars_.html

dunk

• Like 5

Also consider that Leica binoculars come with a life-long full guarantee against repair costs. They are a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. Look through any of the three top brands Leica, Zeiss and Svarovsky- and compare with any other - the difference is more than obvious.

But, before buying binoculars, consider what you will be using them for.

Zeiss binoculars will have an almost rectilinear rendering, which is fine when looking at static objects like architecture.

Leica and to a certain extent Svarovsky have a distinct pincushion distortion to counteract the "Globe Effect".

When you are panning to follow a moving object, the impression with a non-distorting binocular will be the world spinning around you, to the point of motion sickness with some people.

Leica binoculars have been compensated by the pincushion distortion and will not do that.

• Like 2

There are other good manufacturers of binoculars though.

It's also a case of application - as with anything. I wanted a small pair of decent quality binoculars to keep in my coat pocket when I go to watch rugby (as my seat is behind to posts it's difficult to see exactly what's going on when there's action at the other end of the pitch).

I paid about £100 for a weather sealed compact pair and I'm very happy with the optical quality (I have looked through Leica's etc. too).

That is, of course, another consideration: A nice 5x20 or such will be great in the theatre, (or rugby ;) ), but  not so much observing wildlife, whilst a huge 12x50 won't be much use in town.

My guidelines:

Theatre and casual use: foldable 5x20 or 6x25,

Naval: 6x40 or 7x42 or 7x50 (night), as larger magnifications will lack stability,

General wildlife etc. Anything from 8x32 to 10x42, depending on the size and weight that is deemed acceptable,

Note that some 8x32 and 10x32 binoculars by Leica will have close-focus capability, making them useful macro instruments.

From static positions like a hide 12x42 or 12x50. But 10x42 is fine as well, giving a wider field of view.

The first number is the magnification, the second the diameter of the front lenses.

Confession: Nowadays I will sometimes leave my 10x42 Trinovid hanging around my neck and use the stabilized 800 mm on my camera instead :( The Trinovid is at least 15 years old, and was rather beaten up. Leica refurbished it completely last year - for free.

• Like 1

The majority of all binoculars manufactured, particularly the budget priced models, are made in two factories in China … often with the same badge engineered 'chassis' which are assembled to different internal specifications … particularly as regards glass types and types of coatings used. It's not until a binocular is used for serious observing e.g. astro phenomena that instruments' weaknesses become fully apparent. Any binocular will provide a magnified view but the better designed /manufactured instruments can provide really stunning observing experiences. I use several different binoculars for astro observing ranging from 2.3x to 40x magnification. Only one is Chinese … a Quantum 7.4 25x100 model … which was absolute rubbish 'straight out the box'; it required rebuilding and recollimation by a binocular expert and purchase of decent eyepieces before it was a usable instrument. 

dunk 

• 1 month later...

My most used binoculars are the Steiner Commander 7х50 Compass HD, the Giro Fujinon Stabiscope 12 X 40 and the only Leica binocular I have, the LEICA GEOVID 8Х42 The rest of my binos are cheap disposable Chinese models.

Yevgeny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first got into binoculars, I had cheap brands and then a pair of Nikon’s that cost me £100. I then went up to about £200 with a pair of Opticrons, I think. I thought they were ok.

Then, on my first visit to Islay, our cottage had a long, open field at the bottom of the garden with a visiting Golden Eagle. The Opticrons were “ok”, but it was clear I wanted or needed something better. I phoned ffordes to see if they had a second hand air of Leicas and if they could guarantee delivery to me, on the island, before the end of the week. They couldn’t.

I bought my Trinovids when I got home and have never used anything since.

These Trinovids are actually my first ever Leicas of any description. I bought my M2 about 6 months later

• Like 1

We have a huge annual flocking (if that is a word) of swans on the Mississippi river nearby. The swans are in a tight cluster ranging from 1/4 to a mile away. A young couple had a Leica binoculars on a tripod. We spoke. He offered to let me view the swans. I was absolutely ruined for life by the contrast, crispness, color fidelity. I could have fainted!  I know what I'll buy Molly for her next birthday.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Very interesting. I learned a lot here.

Another excellent source for binocular knowledge and reviews is the Cloudy Nights 'Binoculars' section https://www.cloudynights.com/forum/64-binoculars/   … it's geared to astronomical observation but astronomers use all types of binoculars from 2x magnification to 40x … and beyond. Stars are particularly good subjects to test a binocular's strengths and will show shortcomings which are not apparent when used in daylight. I once owned what should have been a superb high end Japanese 16x70 observation binocular and in daylight it was excellent … but at night it exhibited non-correctable blurring through one of the oculars when observing stars (unlikely due to coma) . A most experienced UK binocular expert and repairer (Tony Kay in Selsey … see above #11) could not remedy the defect so the binocular was sold 'with all faults' … but was OK for daylight use. Tony Kay also rebuilt my Chinese Quantum 7.4  25x100 observation binocular and made it into a usable instrument . Tony used to import giant observation binoculars from China during the 20th C. and he mentioned that they all required careful rebuilding and collimation before he could sell them … such was the poor QA in Chinese optical factories at that time. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

In early1999 we were in an airport lounge in Asia and one of the magazines had a story on good quality compact binoculars - Compact is important to us since we always travel carry-on only.  In it we were surprised to find Leica 10x25 Trinovids just under $300, which struck us as a low to fair price if they performed as well as the brand's stellar reputation.   We went to a local Leica dealer and tried those binoculars and the Zeiss equivalent comparing both to our 10x25 Nikons (We gave the Nikons new to my father for one of his birthdays.  We were seldom successful at buying him things he really wanted, and he'd put away the unwanted gifts for a period of time before he re-gifted the Nikons back to us, forgetting where he got them).  The Leicas were better than the Zeiss, but both made the Nikons seem like toys in comparison.  As with Andy, that was our first Leica, and nearly a year later, Barbara gave me my first Leica.  She gave me my 10th Leica for Christmas this year. 

In Belize Barbara slipped on some moss and fell into a river with her Trinovids.  Leica found them irreparable, but gave us an at cost replacement.  Since then we've added a second pair of compact 10x25 Ultravids.  For our purposes they are both as good as it gets.

• Like 1

In about 1962 I bought a pair of refurbished ex navy 6x30s. No idea who made them but I figured that of they were good enough for the navy they would do for me. Still have them and they seem good to me, but like Jaap I prefer for sport or wildlife (only in wildlife parks so far!) to use the 400mm lens I have on a Nikon aps-c then pics can be taken as they are seen.

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of Leica 7 X 42 Ultravid HD Plus binoculars a couple of years ago for a birding trip to Costa Rica.  I did a lot of research into the "big 3" high end brands of Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss.  They are all fine I believe, but for my money (having looked through all 3 on a previous birding trip), Leica was the favorite. Color rendition is truly beautiful, and everything is superlative.  I absolutely love them.  I had to then decide did I want 7 X 42 or 8 X 42, and came down on the side of 7 X 42 for the slightly better ease of tracking birds in flight.  There's not that much difference between 7x and 8x magnification.  I am way beyond satisfied. 

I am a sick person, I have 4 Leica binoculars. Two of them are the 10x25BCA, one is 10x32BA and another the Ultravid 10x42HD. It was like eating peanuts, once I got started i could not quit.

Do you use them for different purposes/conditions?

Jeff

Do you use them for different purposes/conditions?

Jeff

When hiking, the wife and I would each carry a pair of he 10x25's. I have had the 10x32's for many years and when we acquired a condo up on a nearby lake, I wanted a pair up there to use and got the 10x42. We now have retired and moved to a small town away from Austin. We sold the condo and our home in Austin so hence I have a lot of binocs. We use them every day here as we have a lot of birds deer etc come through our back area.