My Astigmatism is making the M10 tough - SL?

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Dr G,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have not used either of the 2 lenses, but: 2 points for consideration:

1. As with pretty much of all of the current State Of The Art Leica lenses: In many situations, without a tripod or flash, in terms of much of the way people would use these lenses, we are writing about: "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" calculations here. That is to say almost all, if not all, of them outperform many users handheld abilities. This often makes the differences academic & not relevant in most situations.

2. If, in the future, you decide to add an M10, or later, or earlier Digital/Film "M" body: It is easier to use the APO 50mm, F2 with both cameras than it is to use the SL lens on an M body.

Both systems have fine cameras.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

If you’re comparing the SL50 and the 50 APO, I don’t think even on a tripod you’ll find substantial differences.

The choice for me comes down to:

- AF

- weather sealing

- f1.4

- ability to shoot on M and SL as mentioned

- size and weight

- price

I own the 50 Summilux M and still chose the SL50 over the APO for now.

The APO is a stunning lens so I’d be happy to have it as well but don’t need three 50s.

• Like 1

Certainly not an affordable solution but I had laser corrective surgery on my eyes over 20 years ago. What a difference it made in my enjoyment of life without glasses. I wore bifocals and have not worn glasses except to read and they are the over the counter 1.25 magnification. I only use them to read the newspaper or a book.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to wear progressive trifocal glasses until my cataract surgery, when I opted for distance vision; now I only use reading glasses.  That said, the EVF on the SL beats an M with Walter Eye Piece.  I use either the Summilux 35mm 1.4 or the Noctilux with the M and SL.  After a day of street shooting with the SL w/Nocti the weight does not bother me anymore, considering that  I'm 5'6", 135 lbs. and 73 years old.     The better choice for me is the SL which would be best when the SL 35mm lens comes out.        jdfloresjr.com

I have astigmatism and myopia. My glasses or contact lenses fix both. My polarised sunglasses are a pain with the EVF... but it's not a deal breaker.

I also have an M10 and an SL and the 50 SL, 50 APO and a 50 Noctilux.

The SL with its native 50 has the highest IQ.

If I could only keep one camera it would be the SL.

If I could only keep one 50 it would be the APO. My go to travel/walkabout lens... staggeringly good in such a small package including a brilliantly integrated slide out hood. Easy to focus, fast enough, lovely rendering. A masterpiece.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a dilemma.  I really like the M10 with the APO summicron combination, but I'm having a tough time with the rangefinder due to my astigmatism.  I could get the Walter correction lens, but I'm wondering if moving to the SL is a better choice.  I have the Q on order after shooting with it for a while and also have the RX1R ii.  I like different things about each the Q and the RX.  Keeping them both would put me at around $8K.  For a bit more I could have the SL and grab a prime lens (maybe SL 50mm which would also give me AF) or the 24-90.  Obviously it would give me the EVF vs the RF.  I do shoot a lot in low light and the Sony sensor in the RX is exemplary in this regard.  Any thoughts?  

CL.

You can get almost everything of SL except the larger sensor. I would not get into FF vs. HF or any hair splitting differences.