M262 hourglass and lock up problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

262 I have 2 points you should try.

1. update the firmware to 1.0.0.7 the newest from Leica.

2. always format the card in the camera not with a third party formatter.

I hope this helps.

None of them help. All is covered and tested in this topic already and is confirmed by Leica as firmware bug, which is not going to be fixed.

Disappointing to read that Leica will not fix the issue. I can only surmise that is must be a rare thing. I have a 262, but for only a short time. I have not had any issues with locking up. 

As a general comment, sometimes the SD card is to blame. Have you tried using another brand card that is 100% sure to be a factory original?  As an example, I have had issues with Lexar high-speed CF cards in my Canon 1DX. The problem manifests only with that particular brand.  I've also heard of many instances of counterfeit cards causing a broad range of issues. The fake cards are quite common from online sites like Amazon, eBay, eBay, etc. 

I’ve had mine now since Feb, 2016 and it’s been a LONG time since I’ve seen it happen to mine, but these things are computers in camera clothes, so nothing would surprise me tomorrow if it happened anymore than when my PC winks at startup and I just have to power the thing down and restart.

Edited by Gregm61

There is very specific scenario (workflow) in which this bug will present itself, so this problem should not be confused with any other problem also causing freezes.

It is shown in the video posted in this topic and there is step by step guide how to reproduce this issue. If you don't follow the steps exactly, then the bug will not occur or it will take considerably longer time to occur.

1) Auto Power Off must be disabled.

2) File format must be DNG only.

3) Auto review must be at least 3 seconds.

4) ISO must be at least 2500 (seems to happen faster if the shot is made in low light, meaning it takes more power from the camera)

Take the photo and zoom in the preview right away, take another photo and zoom in the preview right away and so on. Sometimes it's enough to just take 10 pictures with this settings until the "hourglass mode" kicks in. After you see the hourglass you can take about 2 or 3 additional photos with this method and the lockup should occur (as tested by Exodies, on M240, there will be no hourglass and the lockup should occur without "warning").

So as my default workflow is to take photos at night (almost exclusively ISO2500+) and I need want to confirm focus very often because at night I need to use wide aperture, then this bug will occur very-very often and it is not rare at all.

Edited by 262

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just found this thread after experiencing the same issue. However, the conditions for the freezing effect may vary. In may case Auto Power Off is ENABLED and Auto Review is OFF. Thus I guess the invariants are storing as DNG and immediately reviewing a picture taken. Does storing as DNG + JPEG has any effect in your case?

Cheers, Andreas

28 minutes ago, witz said:

Just found this thread after experiencing the same issue. However, the conditions for the freezing effect may vary. In may case Auto Power Off is ENABLED and Auto Review is OFF. Thus I guess the invariants are storing as DNG and immediately reviewing a picture taken. Does storing as DNG + JPEG has any effect in your case?

Cheers, Andreas

Auto power off and auto review settings are optional. I did include these settings only to make it easier for the testers to confirm the problem.

If you camera does power off while testing, you need to start from the beginning (meaning, if you always turn off your camera after few shoots, then this bug will never happen).

Auto review probably will make this bug appear faster if you don't confirm the focus of every shoot.

JPEG+DNG option will make this bug go away (probably JPEG file is used in preview instead DNG). Also after you see the hourglass warning, you can switch to JPEG+DNG, then camera crash will be postponed for a little bit.

I have to also mention that I can't say for sure that JPEG+DNG will fix this problem completely, because I don't feel comfortable to use my camera in this extensive testing. But I can say that camera seems more stable if JPEG+DNG is selected instead of DNG only. But while using JPEG+DNG I will fill my cards faster, camera is probably bit slower and battery life is also affected.

Edited by 262