Elmarit 28 11804 build question

Stein K S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A used copy of this Elmarit 28 v3 is on its way to my home by post. A very late serial number 3576xxx produced in 1991, 49mm filter and with Leica name in front. I have only seen a couple of pictures of it so far. If it is produced in Canada or Germany I do not know.

However, both Puts compendium and Leica wiki make me curious.

The photo of this lens in Puts compendium look quite different from the one I am buying. Did the 11804 undergo some external changes during production 1979-1991?

In the Leica wiki (here) the lens shown is like mine. But the description says that the engravings say Leitz and not Leica all the way through last production ending with serial number shortly after mine. Makes me also wonder. Any comments on this?

And one last additional question: What can I expect from this lens (part of my story is that 28 is not my most frequently used lens... and I also owned but sold the tiny asph version which I never really liked... some use the term ¨too clinical¨).

Thank you for all feedback!

Edited by Stein K S

I use the 28mm a lot. I use the ver. 4(46mm), and this ver 3 is a little bit bigger in the lower corner

of the viewfinder, but I shoot with both eyes open so I know what's there anyhow. It is a great focal

length, and I felt it forced me to be more bold with my approach to my subjects and fill them tighter

into the frame. The hood, if included, is a little bulky...

• Like 1

The 28/2.8 v3 is one of my favorite lenses. I believe they are all Canadian.  IIRC, Its size is because at the time it was designed there were no built in 28mm frame lines in the viewfinder so it was assumed you would use an external finder with it. Without the hood, the blockage is far less. Its rendering is true Mandler.

Here, on the M9:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

[...] In the Leica wiki (here) the lens shown is like mine. But the description says that the engravings say Leitz and not Leica all the way through last production ending with serial number shortly after mine. Makes me also wonder. Any comments on this? [...]

Simply untrue:

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The photo of this lens in Puts compendium look quite different from the one I am buying. Did the 11804 undergo some external changes during production 1979-1991?

Yes, like many other Leitz lenses , it had several variations.... the first ones (like mine) had the "long" front writing LEITZ LENS MADE IN CANADA, and serial number at side, and this one, in turn, have had two different focus tab...and also two slightly different kind of barrels (sse hereunder 1st/2nd pic)  then the serial number went on front ring, with LEITZ, then LEICA (and E49) writing ...

There are other small variations (for example, the writing engraved at base "made in Canada E49" is black or White paint filled) and also the "1913-1983" series.

Most Canadians, even if Wetzlar items are reported (I don't remember to have seen one) - good lens, but the v4 is definitely better (I have v1 v3 v4)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Yes, like many other Leitz lenses , it had several variations.... the first ones (like mine) had the "long" front writing LEITZ LENS MADE IN CANADA, and serial number at side, and this one, in turn, have had two different focus tab...and also two slightly different kind of barrels (sse hereunder 1st/2nd pic)  then the serial number went on front ring, with LEITZ, then LEICA (and E49) writing ...

attachicon.gifElmarit_28_III_my.jpg

attachicon.gifElmarit_28_III2978037.jpg

attachicon.gifElmarit_28_III_3189779.jpg

There are other small variations (for example, the writing engraved at base "made in Canada E49" is black or White paint filled) and also the "1913-1983" series.

Most Canadians, even if Wetzlar items are reported (I don't remember to have seen one) - good lens, but the v4 is definitely better (I have v1 v3 v4)

Hi and thanks a lot Luigi

You explain very thoroughly all the elements that confused me. Good!

When did production move to Germany? My copy is among the last 250 units produced. In a couple of days I will know & I will report country of production.

I believe version III was made from 1979 to 1991 in both Germany and Canada throughout the time period. The ELCAN ones say so on the front.

The ELCAN ones say so on the front.....

... or at base....

• Like 1

Hi to all

I received my used copy of this lens being one of the very latest produced. And it says LENS MADE IN CANADA at the base and Leica and E 49 in front. So where are the german made... if there are any? ;-)

Not too happy about the condition though (even if it was quite cheap). Wobbly front piece, wobbly focus tab and one of the pins to mount the hood missing. The look of it including the glass seems very nice though (a bit wobbly aperture ring, but nice & smooth focus)... and the very few indoor pictures taken last night seem quite nice.

Would you know if these three ¨faulties¨ (the front wobble, the focus tab wobble and the hood pin) would be easily fixed in Solms? I guess the price I paid can defend a CLA...

Thank you for all feedback!

Would you know if these three ¨faulties¨ (the front wobble, the focus tab wobble and the hood pin) would be easily fixed in Solms? I guess the price I paid can defend a CLA...

Wetzlar can probably fix it (you will need to send it in for a quote) but be warned that the service department now charges pretty eye-watering charges for even a straight service. A CLA on a film body at Wetzlar is now nearly £800. It won't be a great deal less for a lens, especially one that needs some repair work.

Edited by wattsy

Wetzlar can probably fix it (you will need to send it in for a quote) but be warned that the service department now charges pretty eye-watering charges for even a straight service. A CLA on a film body at Wetzlar is now nearly £800. It won't be a great deal less for a lens, especially one that needs some repair work.

Thanks!

And I guess I am somewhat aware of this... the last lens (a very nice copy) I sent in for CLA a few years ago costed close to 500 euros... :-(

• Like 1

This V3 Lens was reviewed here years ago. I have it for few months, but sold it due to enormous size for 28 2.8 lens and crappy (IMO) hood.

28993095972_745c22125f_b.jpg

Version V3 is known for its own rendering. It is not so visible on digital and color, but on BW darkroom prints:

30939031535_e93e602828_b.jpg

30292449066_3d9837ed65_b.jpg

On digital it was true Leica lens. Sharp, no issues, fine colors.

• Like 1

Wobbly front piece, wobbly focus tab and one of the pins to mount the hood missing.

The wobbly front (which me too experienced) can be easily fixed also by a good lab (I had my one fixed in Milano, 50 Euros 5 years ago)

The focus tab... :unsure: ..well, is a bad design... my one started to wooble.. then went broke... I doubt that a Leica repair is Worth...

The pin... I  suppose that if one is so lucky to find a spare... but isn't SO annoying.. hood can still stay on firmly, I think.

All in all... I am not sure that a trip to Wetzlar is convenient... maybe you can ask for a quotation from CS and then decide. Personally, I took the occasion of my broken tab to justify the buy of a v4 B) ... and replaced the tab of my v3 with a fine spare made with 3D Printing by a Forum Member, cheap and elegant.

Edited by luigi bertolotti