Fungus in camera lenses: risk factors ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never suffered from fungus in my camera lenses but it does seem quite common - especially in old lenses. I use elderly Leicas with elderly lenses. What are the risk factors for getting fungus? Can risk be reduced by specific storage conditions? (Or increased by specific storage conditions!). Advice much appreciated!

Edited by Collieslave

Although this subject has been covered hundreds of times here and other forums, it boils down simply to this: fungi spores are everywhere in the air. The more your lenses breathe, or you change lenses, or you keep them in dark or moist places, the greater risk of spores growing on them.

• Like 1

I have some old lenses and seen many. It was last week that I saw fungus on the lens of a 135mm Hektor for the first time ever.

Fungi spores may be everywhere but they are rare to settle and grow on glass. Moisture for extended times is the biggest risk. So don‘t let a lens which got wet during rain in your closed bag. Getting them out to „work“ in open light will be the most effective prevention.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies: as a pretty new member I had not appreciated that the topic had been covered 'hundreds of times' (should have done search, I suppose!). If I stored lenses in, say, a translucent plastic box, to minimize risk (ie darkness) should I leave off front and rear caps??!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for replies: as a pretty new member I had not appreciated that the topic had been covered 'hundreds of times' (should have done search, I suppose!). If I stored lenses in, say, a translucent plastic box, to minimize risk (ie darkness) should I leave off front and rear caps??!!

The light must consist of ultra-violet (UV) rays which cannot penetrate most plastics or glass, so IMHO, don't worry about it. Darkness largely coincides with storage; the storage circumstances are more relevant. Darkness does not encourage fungus expansion. Moisture does.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

The light must consist of ultra-violet (UV) rays which cannot penetrate most plastics or glass, so IMHO, don't worry about it. Darkness largely coincides with storage; the storage circumstances are more relevant. Darkness does not encourage fungus expansion. Moisture does.

Knowing we've spoken about this before, but UV from sunlight can penetrate glass, but it's usually less than 1%.

Fungus usually prefers darkness because in nature darkness is the only place without UV, not because it doesn't like visible light. Inside there is next to no UV so storage is all about humidity. 

• Like 1

Storing in a "translucent box"  immediately reduces the circulation of fresh air around the lens, any moisture will be trapped in the stagnant air, not good storage conditions I would suggest. 

By coincidence a short blog post was published this week by "Fixation" they are a London Photo dealer who cater to the professional, particularly photojournalist section:

https://www.fixationuk.com/tips-tricks-equipment-storage/

"Moisture, however slight, will naturally collect on your equipment and once the lid is closed on your protective case, the moisture will have nowhere to evaporate and can cause fungus to grow in lenses and the viewfinder of your DSLR."

Leather cases have always been suspect as the leather is naturally moist so another storage to be avoided.

Zeiss, who know a thing or two about lenses, have advice as well that incorporates all these points and those mentioned above:

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/camera-lenses/service/content/fungus-on-lenses.html

• Like 2