Thoughts on M10 after six months

Eric1

Three flaws also in my M10...

- my 24 Elmar (coded) is not recognized

- always -3 in the report of the image if I make any correction in exposure

- a black line throughout all the orizontal lenght that sometimes appears at higher ISO (I hope this is solved by sensor correction by a file that Leica sent me)

M9 was good enough.

Yes, and in some ways better... at least I think the M9 had a slightly higher build quality. My M10 has a few little defects like a super tight lens mount and a spec of dirt in the finder where my old M9 was perfect (except for having to replace the sensor twice). Very minor quips though when compared to the speed of operation and the higher ISO ability of the M10. I often carry my original Monochrom and my M10 together and find the M10 a more instinctual and satisfying camera to use.

Yes, and in some ways better... at least I think the M9 had a slightly higher build quality. My M10 has a few little defects like a super tight lens mount and a spec of dirt in the finder where my old M9 was perfect (except for having to replace the sensor twice). Very minor quips though when compared to the speed of operation and the higher ISO ability of the M10. I often carry my original Monochrom and my M10 together and find the M10 a more instinctual and satisfying camera to use.

At the early stages, the forum was filled with threads on M9 issues..... sensor cracks, buffer problems, SD card compatibility concerns, color problems, red edge, freezes, discreet mode issues, and more. It was also, build-wise, noisier and less weather sealed than the M10 (or even the M240).

The M10, by comparison, is a much more mature and robust design, with far fewer teething problems generally IMO. Of course, there are always some sample variations. My M10 is problem-free.

Jeff

... The M10, by comparison, is a much more mature and robust design, with far fewer teething problems generally IMO. Of course, there are always some sample variations. My M10 is problem-free.

Jeff

Nice to hear. Other than the sensor replacements, my M9 was a joy to use. And my Monochrom is a joy to use. 

Don't get me wrong, my M10 is a wonderful camera. I love the size, sound, speed and image quality. I just expect perfect fit and cleanliness from Leica but not enough to send it in for repair. I'll put up with a slightly harder twist when mounting a lens rather than give up my camera for 6-10 weeks.

Nice to hear. Other than the sensor replacements, my M9 was a joy to use. And my Monochrom is a joy to use.

Don't get me wrong, my M10 is a wonderful camera. I love the size, sound, speed and image quality. I just expect perfect fit and cleanliness from Leica but not enough to send it in for repair. I'll put up with a slightly harder twist when mounting a lens rather than give up my camera for 6-10 weeks.

Call DAG and see if it's something he could deal with quickly. Maybe not, but worth a call. Or, with supply increasing, maybe your dealer could switch it out.

I just picked up an MM1, so there are definitely lots of considerations when choosing a camera.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never been interested in Cameras as long as they are sharp and I make all the decisions I am happy. And after 50 years 45 as a professional I am happy and so were my clients. I have used a Leica cameras since 1973 and nothing has changed.

Edited by Bokeh
  • Like 2

... I can fit more photos on one memory card, using both raw and jpeg mode, than I ever have before. I brought ten sd cards on my last ten day trip and filled up 3. Normally I would have filled up 7 or 8. This has been a nice surprise for me....

Phew! How many pictures is that? And how many GB are the memory cards? I try to be minimal. Probably a hangover from film.