SL for manual focus lenses only

Steve McGarrett

I decided I'm more of an SL guy than an M guy - both great cameras, just different.  I have the APO 50 Summicron-M and I am still debating selling it to buy the 50 Summilux-SL.  Leica Miami told me the Lux-SL imaged better on the SL.  It's just a much larger lens. 

I was thinking about getting a Leica 50mm M f/1 for my SL.  It looks amazing on film.  Has anyone looked at it on the SL?  Should I save my pennies for for 0.95? or the new 75m 1.25?

Thanks for any insight.

I looked at buying an f/1 Noctilux, but opted for the 0.95 instead.  In those days, I was primarily using the Monochrom.  My reasons were the swirly bokeh made me feel somewhat seasick and focus shift (it was more focus shift than anything else).  With the SL, focus shift won't be a problem.

If you search back through the LFI magazine, there was a very good comparison between these two lenses when the 0.95 was released.

I would expect the 75 Noctilux to be more optically perfect than the 50 Noctilux 0.95 - they will all have different character, and once you own one of them, I'd be surprised if you every want to part with them ...

I already have the 75 Summilux, so I won't be a buyer for the 75 Noctilux.

• Like 1

I stupidly sold the SL and missed it so much with my M lenses that I repurchased it.  While the M10 and EVF is great, nothing compares to focusing an M lens when using it wide open.

This is also why I'm thinking of keeping the APO instead of selling it for the Summilux-SL 50.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is also why I'm thinking of keeping the APO instead of selling it for the Summilux-SL 50.

On the SL?  I think the SL-50 has the edge, if you can tolerate the weight.

I've done a fair bit of research on this lens (none here I can try).  I already have the 50 Summilux-M (too small for the SL) and the 0.95 Noct (it's very nice on the SL), but I just love what I'm seeing with the 50-SL.

Size aside (it's smaller than the two zooms), the only real criticism levelled at the lens is the "slow" AF.  I have never gelled with AF that well; it infuriates me focusing on the wrong subject, hunting etc, and the various settings I don't seem to get right.  So, my workflow is to set the camera to manual focus, set the AF using the rear joystick then fine tune with the focusing ring.  Works a treat.

I will come to grips with the AF settings in the menu eventually.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Hello Everybody,

I had a similar complexity a number of years ago with a 135mm, F4,Tele-Elmar & an M3.

An M3, with is .91X range/viewfinder, was clearly designed to be used with a 90mm lens. All 50mm lenses & 135mm lenses w/o "goggles" also do just fine.

"Just fine" can sometimes be improved on.

I use the lens in its traditional range/viewfinder configuration for a lot of photos from Infinity to 1.5 meters/5 feet. I also use it, when appropriate, as an Infinity to 1 : 1 lens on my 1980's version of Today's Leica SL.

That is: Rather than choose 1 lens limited to 1 camera: I chose the 1 lens that worked best with BOTH range/viewfinder cameras & reflex cameras. I use the combination of camera & lens that I prefer, or which works better, given the situation.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1