SL for manual focus lenses only

Steve McGarrett

On the weatherproofing, I'm sure I've seen a video of someone rinsing it under the tap after shooting in sea-water spray conditions.

With regard to using M and other lens with the SL. When I bought mine I swore I would never buy that horrible, heavy 24-90 lens; but use it solely with M lenses. However, after seeing images and reading reports about it, I decided to bite the bullet and try it ..... best thing I ever did. If you don't get it, to me it's like buying a Porsche and only driving it at 30 mph.

Before getting the 24-90 I used to carry the WATE, 35, 50, 75 and 90mm M lenses. Now I only carry the WATE, usually in my pocket and the zoom, which combined is actually lighter than the SL and individual lenses.

I'm so impressed with the 24-90 that I've just bought the 90-280 in readiness for a trip to New Zealand. Together with the WATE that should cover everything I'm likely to need.

Just my opinion, each to his/her own.

Regards, Tom

If you don't get it, to me it's like buying a Porsche and only driving it at 30 mph

I'm sure the lens is very good, but your comment sort of assumes you need the other focal lengths, which a lot of people don't. I only use 50mm for instance so buying the 24-90 would be a bit like buying a Porsche and only using it once a year.

No guarantee can or will be given,

See I just don't see the point then of marketing a camera as 'weather resistant' in that case. If you're not going to guarantee it against water ingress in any and all weather conditions, then why even mention weather sealing? It's a hell of a gamble to take with a £5000 camera.

Edited by geetee1972
  • Like 1

See I just don't see the point then of marketing a camera as 'weather resistant' in that case. If you're not going to guarantee it against water ingress in any and all weather conditions, then why even mention weather sealing? It's a hell of a gamble to take with a £5000 camera.

Best of both worlds: desirable feature to attract sales; yet limiting liability. There is no universal standard for weather resistance, more a matter of degree. And some is better than none.

See the camera and lens tear-downs by Roger at lensrentals to understand the variety of materials and build techniques companies use, including Leica.

Jeff

Yes that makes sense; it just think it leaves the consumer in a bad place. If you get unlucky it's going to be a very expensive mistake.

Better stick to underwater cameras then... all else is not fully waterproof. Common sense and good practice still applies, as any experienced photographer using expensive gear should recognize. Research customer experience (including service and warranty support) before buying, which is why I'm typically not an early adopter.

And carry personal insurance for circumstances the warranty doesn't cover, including loss or theft.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the weatherproofing, I'm sure I've seen a video of someone rinsing it under the tap after shooting in sea-water spray conditions.

With regard to using M and other lens with the SL. When I bought mine I swore I would never buy that horrible, heavy 24-90 lens; but use it solely with M lenses. However, after seeing images and reading reports about it, I decided to bite the bullet and try it ..... best thing I ever did. If you don't get it, to me it's like buying a Porsche and only driving it at 30 mph.

Before getting the 24-90 I used to carry the WATE, 35, 50, 75 and 90mm M lenses. Now I only carry the WATE, usually in my pocket and the zoom, which combined is actually lighter than the SL and individual lenses.

I'm so impressed with the 24-90 that I've just bought the 90-280 in readiness for a trip to New Zealand. Together with the WATE that should cover everything I'm likely to need.

Just my opinion, each to his/her own.

Regards, Tom

• Like 1

Yellow Mountains like in Huangshan? That should be on every photographer's bucket list.

Pictures, Waterden, we want to see pictures!

Yes, Huangshan. Check my Flickr site - under waterden - plenty of pics there. Easier than transferring them here. But understand please that a number are ooc - undeveloped. When I have time I'll fix that. Edited by Waterden

Here is one using Leica R21-35 Vario-Elmar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Waterden
  • Like 17

And this, R21-35

Edited by Waterden
  • Like 8

Another. R21-35

Edited by Waterden
  • Like 7

One more, with Leica R Apo-Telyt 180/3.4

Edited by Waterden
  • Like 10

I use my SL with prime M-mount lenses exclusively and really enjoy the shooting experience and the results. I own the 24-90 but never use it because of the size and weight. I realize that it is an exceptionally fine zoom lens, but it's just not right for me. Will probably sell it soon. The biggest problem I face is GAS, as there are so many excellent M-mount primes to taste. I have six at the moment and use them all depending on the occasion and my mood. And just when I didn't need it, Voigtlander releases a 40 f/1.2 VM. 40mm is probably my favorite all-around focal length, one that I could use 90% of the time and thus be able to sell some of my other glass. Decisions, decisions. I envy GeeTee and his single lens approach.

yes...GAS..

https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-Lenses/Noctillux-M-75-f-1,25-ASPH

I use my SL with prime M-mount lenses exclusively and really enjoy the shooting experience and the results. I own the 24-90 but never use it because of the size and weight. I realize that it is an exceptionally fine zoom lens, but it's just not right for me. Will probably sell it soon. The biggest problem I face is GAS, as there are so many excellent M-mount primes to taste. I have six at the moment and use them all depending on the occasion and my mood. And just when I didn't need it, Voigtlander releases a 40 f/1.2 VM. 40mm is probably my favorite all-around focal length, one that I could use 90% of the time and thus be able to sell some of my other glass. Decisions, decisions. I envy GeeTee and his single lens approach.

I was thinking about getting a Leica 50mm M f/1 for my SL.  It looks amazing on film.  Has anyone looked at it on the SL?  Should I save my pennies for for 0.95? or the new 75m 1.25?

Thanks for any insight.

The f/1 Nocti is wonderful on the SL. I used it for a little project, see here:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/11/buranoscapes-burano.html

the lens balances perfectly on the SL, focussing it is a breeze (much easier than on a M) thanks to the SL's MF magnification feature, and it plays rather nicely with the SL's sensor. I used it on any M I had, still use it occasionally on my M2, but I really enjoy it on the SL.

Best regards,

Vieri

• Like 1

The f/1 Nocti is wonderful on the SL. I used it for a little project, see here:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/11/buranoscapes-burano.html

the lens balances perfectly on the SL, focussing it is a breeze (much easier than on a M) thanks to the SL's MF magnification feature, and it plays rather nicely with the SL's sensor. I used it on any M I had, still use it occasionally on my M2, but I really enjoy it on the SL.

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri,

Thank you.  Amazing colors.  I definitely need to try it.

Subhash