Versions of summicrons

Jakobben

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

Ever since I got my M240 I’ve had the suspicion that a 35mm summicron would be my perfect fit. I initially got the 50mm summicron, needed something wider, but was afraid the 35mm was too close, so bought a 28 elmarit. Later I got a 90mm summarit, 15mm Voigtlander and lastly I tried the voightlander 35mm Ultron to see if the 35mm actually was for me or not. I really like the 35mm focal lenght, and the Ultron is beautiful optically, but I never liked the ergonomics (or aesthetics). So now I’m thinking of selling it (and my old Canon gear that I never use), to get the Summicron I’ve been dreaming of for years. Now the question is which one.

I’ll probably want to go with an ASPH version, but is there a big difference between the two? I’ve seen few comparisons, and actually I haven’t found much information about the new version anywhere (proper reviews and such). Is that because they are so similar, or is it just still a too new lens? Anyone in here tried both?

Lastly, I cannot seem to find a lot of photos of the new version with the new hood on a M camera... Am I looking the wrong places?

Thanks!

First of all:

http://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2016/7/9/leica-35mm-summicron-asph-i-vs-ii-24mp-vs-42mp-resolution-test?rq=35mm%20summicron%20asph

I bought the V.1 Asph because i can’t afford the new one. I‘ve never liked 35mm before but now I LOVE IT! this lens is fanstastic. i‘m not sure if there‘s something like focus shift at some apertures (don‘t know about the new one either), but it doesn’t matter to me anyway. i always shoot wide open (it is sharp enough wide open and gives you 3D look), or stopped down to 5.6 or 8 for landscapes at infinity..

Edited by Dario Antonaci

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/255654-new-summicron-asph-35mm-how-and-why-did-they-improve-the-current-one/

You should also consider the 35 Summarit....better flare resistance, no focus shift, cheaper and plenty of fans here and elsewhere (Puts rates it higher than the version 1 Summicron ASPH in some respects).

Best to rent, demo or borrow.

Jeff