Night photography examples with the Q?

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have good examples of photos taken during night scenes with the Q?  The Sony RX1R ii had really good DR and lots of details could be brought up from the shadows and darker captures.  The Sony had some issues with camera shake, though.  I guess that's one of the downsides of such a high resolution sensor.  I'd love to see some examples of low light photos with the Q.  Including ISO would be a plus.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I will post some below, but dont expect the Q to be even close to the Sony Rx2, I had the Rx1 and a nikon DF and they were miles ahead of the Leica in high iso. With the Q you need to hit exposure correctly to avoid horrible noise, and files can not be pushed unless you want banding. So if you are expecting to behave similar to the Rx2 in high iso you will disappointed, the Q is a great camera, but high iso is not one of its strengths. 

iso6400

37947091844_bdac561731_b.jpg20171126-L1140575 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso5000

32485018600_f308ded626_b.jpgL1050883 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso4000

31890041674_8d6ee77b44_b.jpgL1050742 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso6400

32655832175_90a595a99d_b.jpgL1050454 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso4000

32655836665_b04559bd6e_b.jpgL1050539 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso6400

37946761714_e3d932af15_b.jpg20171126-L1140228 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso3200

29114606795_de57ea6525_b.jpgL1030886 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Macberg

Thanks! I used lightroom un which i applied some mild noise reduction and then Photoshop for some curve adjustments. Results are not bad but if come close you will see that they are quite noisy. The files of the DF and RX1 could tolerate abuse at high ISO :)

• Like 1

My new Q  at night!

New Orleans, Bourbon Street.

1600 ISO 1/60 f2.0

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RickP
  • Like 3

Hi I will post some below, but dont expect the Q to be even close to the Sony Rx2, I had the Rx1 and a nikon DF and they were miles ahead of the Leica in high iso. With the Q you need to hit exposure correctly to avoid horrible noise, and files can not be pushed unless you want banding. So if you are expecting to behave similar to the Rx2 in high iso you will disappointed, the Q is a great camera, but high iso is not one of its strengths. 

iso6400

20171126-L1140575 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso5000

L1050883 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso4000

L1050742 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso6400

L1050454 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso4000

L1050539 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso6400

20171126-L1140228 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

iso3200

L1030886 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

In general, I concur, but with good noise reduction software, you can deal effectively with much of the Q's shadow noise while retaining detail, color and contrast. The best that I have found is DxO's Prime NR engine. It's freakin' amazing. Photo Ninja's NR (Noise Ninja) can also do a great job, but you have to know the proper method. I do not use Lightroom or C1, but I have used ACR fairly extensively, and it's NR cannot keep up with DxO's.

In general, I concur, but with good noise reduction software, you can deal effectively with much of the Q's shadow noise while retaining detail, color and contrast. The best that I have found is DxO's Prime NR engine. It's freakin' amazing. Photo Ninja's NR (Noise Ninja) can also do a great job, but you have to know the proper method. I do not use Lightroom or C1, but I have used ACR fairly extensively, and it's NR cannot keep up with DxO's.

Yes you can use software but that just makes the process slower. If you are looking into doing a lot of high iso photography is better not to look at Leica non of the current systems are good at high iso, even the m10 is so so, (but better then the Q).

If images like the ones I posted were the thing I shot the most I wouldn't be using a Q :) but since it's not the main thing I shoot, nor my income depends entirely on it , I can leave with the bad iso, terrible buffer and unexistent continuous focus capabilities :)

Just before midnight, while locking up the farm, the Q almost always near me...

Handheld, f1.7, ¼ second, ISO 1600, quick touch in LR CC...  

Foreground illuminated by home's interior lights.

Exterior?  Well we often have great skies.

• Like 2

just last week on park ave nyc ..... compared to my M9, well there is no comparison --

• Like 2

Leica Q, ISO 200, 1/25s (OIS on)    ;)

26545942011_0978ff1657_b.jpg

street light by Lukas R., auf Flickr

Maybe the people who bang on about street photography all the time and you like to describe themselves as "street photographers" will understand from this exceptional image that street photography does not need to contain pictures of people.

In my view best street photographs that has been posted up on this forum and it gives all the impression of having been a careful and thoughtful photograph.

No need to be a Ninja slipping away silently and unseen into the night.
  • Like 7

Leica Q, ISO 200, 1/25s (OIS on)    ;)

26545942011_0978ff1657_b.jpg

street light by Lukas R., auf Flickr

That's a great shot at ISO 200 1/25.  Did you spot meter the light and then pull up the shadows in post?

BTW, I looked at your flickr account.  The contrast and sharpness in your monochrome photos is phenomenal.

Edited by Dr. G