Coupling Issue

spikemozeley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

Today I tested a 50 Summicron to use on my Monochrom.

After mounting it my coupling mechanism seemed to get stuck. Also the lens makes a sound like there is some grit stuck in it. Unually when the lens is not mounted it makes no noise.

When trying other lenses back on my body the coupling seems fine and there is no noise.

Thoughts?

The manual for the Leica M (Typ 240) contains the following statement:

Cannot be used:
– Hologon 15mm f/8
– Summicron 50mm f/2 with close up.
– Elmar 90mm f/4 with retractable tube (manufactured from
1954-1968)
– Some versions of the Summilux-M 35mm f/4 (not aspherical,
manufactured from 1961-1995, Made in Canada) cannot be
fi tted to the Leica M or will not focus to infi nity. The Leica
Customer Care department can modify these lenses so that they
can be used on the Leica M.

It appears that these and/or similar restrictions existed for the earlier digital M cameras as well, even though they were not mentioned in the respective manuals.

Just my wild stab in the dark....

Have you tried turning the focus ring on the lens while using a finger to press against its rear focus cam? 

It may be something wrong with the focus cam / focusing unit of the lens. When mounted, the camera's RF roller cam presses against the lens's rear cam, and the pressure perhaps prevents it from turning at the same angular speed as the focus ring, which may also be why there is that scraping feeling. 

Edited by Rus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the problem with the camera. My friend's M240 used to loose the coupling when focused to close distances. It turned out that the RF roller cam was somewhat stuck once it extended out to a certain degree. He gave the roller cam a few pushes back and forth, which seemed to loosen it. Not a long-term solution though, but it did the trick for him for a while. In the end the camera went back to normal after some intensive use. 

From your descriptions the problem with your MM seems somewhat more serious, but I guess a trip to a qualified service person should fix it, as it does sound like a mechanical problem rather than a fault with the electronics.

Edited by Rus