The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Coupling Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spikemozeley

spikemozeley

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:44

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Hi everyone,

Today I tested a 50 Summicron to use on my Monochrom.
After mounting it my coupling mechanism seemed to get stuck. Also the lens makes a sound like there is some grit stuck in it. Unually when the lens is not mounted it makes no noise.
When trying other lenses back on my body the coupling seems fine and there is no noise.

Thoughts?

#2 jdlaing

jdlaing

Benutzer Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 5,388 posts
  • City / Ort:The Republic of Texas

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:27

Which 50 Summicron?

#3 spikemozeley

spikemozeley

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:22

Is from 1993 according to serial. Not sure what version number. Very strange to me that it sounds gritty when mounted but not when unmounted.
I check all my other glass and none make the same noise on my body. I was worried that it was my body so thankfully that's not the case!

#4 pop

pop

• Moderators
  • 20,372 posts
  • Locationnear Basel

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:56

The manual for the Leica M (Typ 240) contains the following statement:

Cannot be used:
– Hologon 15mm f/8
– Summicron 50mm f/2 with close up.
– Elmar 90mm f/4 with retractable tube (manufactured from
1954-1968)
– Some versions of the Summilux-M 35mm f/4 (not aspherical,
manufactured from 1961-1995, Made in Canada) cannot be
fi tted to the Leica M or will not focus to infi nity. The Leica
Customer Care department can modify these lenses so that they
can be used on the Leica M.

It appears that these and/or similar restrictions existed for the earlier digital M cameras as well, even though they were not mentioned in the respective manuals.

Philipp

Beiträge in dieser blauen Schrift schreibe ich als Moderator. --
I use this blue typeface when I write in my function as a moderator.

#5 Rus

Rus

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:36

Just my wild stab in the dark....

Have you tried turning the focus ring on the lens while using a finger to press against its rear focus cam? 

It may be something wrong with the focus cam / focusing unit of the lens. When mounted, the camera's RF roller cam presses against the lens's rear cam, and the pressure perhaps prevents it from turning at the same angular speed as the focus ring, which may also be why there is that scraping feeling. 

Edited by Rus, 15 November 2017 - 10:36.

#6 spikemozeley

spikemozeley

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 22:51

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I have just discovered that it is in fact my body. The focus mechanism is sticking.
Disappointing as it's a new camera only a few months of use...
  • Rus said thank you to this

#7 Rus

Rus

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 23:21

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the problem with the camera. My friend's M240 used to loose the coupling when focused to close distances. It turned out that the RF roller cam was somewhat stuck once it extended out to a certain degree. He gave the roller cam a few pushes back and forth, which seemed to loosen it. Not a long-term solution though, but it did the trick for him for a while. In the end the camera went back to normal after some intensive use. 

From your descriptions the problem with your MM seems somewhat more serious, but I guess a trip to a qualified service person should fix it, as it does sound like a mechanical problem rather than a fault with the electronics.

Edited by Rus, 15 November 2017 - 23:22.

#8 exile

exile

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:47

Very sorry to hear about the camera Spikemoseley, but also wanted to congratulate you on the best thread title I've seen in 10 yrs of membership on this forum. Good luck with the fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic