rogerfcoyne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Brothers.

Using my Leica 120mm lens on my S 006 in conjunction with a Lee filter lens.

I see subjects that may benefit by using a filter. The Lee 72mm adaptor is fitted to the lens however to focus... the filter ring comes into contact with the forward moving centre focus element only by a couple of millimetres. This prevent correct focus.

Any one had this issue and how was it resolved...... 

Regards  Roger

I wonder if the lee filter adaptor has a longer thread than a normal filter, and protrudes into the lens barrel area a bit further and causes issues.

Do you have an accurate depth gauge or could you hold a filter up next to the lee adaptor to see ? (If I was still working at our local camera store I would take my digital callipers in and do some measuring next time you visited, unfortunately Im not there anymore) 

If the adapter has a longer thread than the filter, I would buy the cheapest filter i could find, then remove the glass (with a hammer if necessary) and then screw the adapter into the filter, and use the filter to stop the adapter from poking in too far.

• Like 1

Roger,

I just bought a relatively cheap screw-in filter with front and back thread, broke the glass and mounted on the lens. Then you screw the LEE filter adapter on the front thread of the screw-in filter. You gain those 2-4mm that you need to avoid the LEE adapter preventing from the internal element of the lens to retract all the way in to focus at infinity. You can even buy the cheapest filter as you get rid of the glass, just pay attention to the quality of the ring of the filter as you may have a preference for brass, etc. 

cheers, 

Lorenzo