The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo

lens correction for S lenses on the SL

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 stephan_w

stephan_w

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • City / Ort:Nord-West-Schweiz,Südbaden

Posted 14 November 2017 - 19:11

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

just a question: As the lenses of the S don't cover the frame equally on the SL as they do on the S, wouldn't it be necessary to have distinctive lens profiles for the lenses on the SL?

#2 scott kirkpatrick

scott kirkpatrick

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,282 posts
  • City / Ort:Jerusalem

Posted 14 November 2017 - 21:30

I can't imagine that the S lenses need much of a profile, but if they do, Leica can just take the central portion of whatever vignetting correction was derived for the S and use it on the SL.  Color correction would be more work, as the chips are different, and they might be likely to leave that alone.  But I doubt that it is needed.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick, 14 November 2017 - 21:30.

#3 Vieri

Vieri

Leica Ambassador

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationSan Ginesio, Italy
  • City / Ort:San Ginesio, Italy

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:34

Stephan, S lenses on the SL are already automatically profiled-corrected in camera exactly as SL lenses. Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri Bottazzini

Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP

VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

#4 stephan_w

stephan_w

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • City / Ort:Nord-West-Schweiz,Südbaden

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:19

Stephan, S lenses on the SL are already automatically profiled-corrected in camera exactly as SL lenses. Best regards,

Vieri

hm. this would mean that an additional correction in LR would not be needed, or make things worse?

#5 scott kirkpatrick

scott kirkpatrick

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:48

hm. this would mean that an additional correction in LR would not be needed, or make things worse?

Whatever you like, but I wouldn't bother.

#6 Vieri

Vieri

Leica Ambassador

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:07

Basically, Camera Raw tells you that the lens' profile has been applied already (I don't use Lightroom, but since the engine is the same I assume it will behave in the same way). In my experience, such profile corrects CA / vignette perfectly, and distortion almost perfectly for the 24mm and 35mm I used. The 70mm I also used was corrected perfectly for everything. The 30-90mm was corrected perfectly for CA and vignette, and about 90-95% for distortion (according to the different focal lengths). If you have a clear horizon, and feel that you need to dial in some more correction, just go ahead - your eyes will tell you where to stop. Other than that, I wouldn't bother messing with what the camera gives you.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

Vieri Bottazzini

#7 Jared

Jared

Benutzer

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:21

Glad that they have already built in the profiles for the S lenses, but I'd be surprised if they actually have much content.  Since the lenses are meant to cover a larger imaging circle than the SL possesses, I would imagine distortion, lateral chromatic aberration, and in particular vignetting would all be trivial when these lenses are used on a full frame camera.

#8 Vieri

Vieri

Leica Ambassador

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:51

Glad that they have already built in the profiles for the S lenses, but I'd be surprised if they actually have much content.  Since the lenses are meant to cover a larger imaging circle than the SL possesses, I would imagine distortion, lateral chromatic aberration, and in particular vignetting would all be trivial when these lenses are used on a full frame camera.

It depends on the lens Jared. The 24mm S definitely has distortion visible even on the SL; just look into an S viewfinder and you'll see it with your naked eye. The 30-90mm is a complex lens, and would distort at the wider focal length visibly on the SL as well. The 70mm is fine. The 35mm needs a very slight distortion correction on the SL.

Vignetting is much less of an issue, of course, again it is difficult to judge with the naked eye but I think you can safely assume it is non-existent using S lenses on the SL.

LCA is difficult to see with the naked eye, but when is there is there, it's not much dependent on where in the frame you look.

Best regards.

Vieri

Vieri Bottazzini

#9 scott kirkpatrick

scott kirkpatrick

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:16

It depends on the lens Jared. The 24mm S definitely has distortion visible even on the SL; just look into an S viewfinder and you'll see it with your naked eye. The 30-90mm is a complex lens, and would distort at the wider focal length visibly on the SL as well. The 70mm is fine. The 35mm needs a very slight distortion correction on the SL.

Vignetting is much less of an issue, of course, again it is difficult to judge with the naked eye but I think you can safely assume it is non-existent using S lenses on the SL.

LCA is difficult to see with the naked eye, but when is there is there, it's not much dependent on where in the frame you look.

Best regards.

Vieri

One of my gripes as we have gone through multiple firmware upgrade cycles on the SL is that only the worst problems with M and R lens profiles (and now S) seem to rise to the top of the queue and get resolved.  The clearly damaged profiles for five of the R telephotos got fixed long ago, but there are no distortion corrections in the profiles for the 35-70 R zoom, and several others.  It was easy to check this for M and R lenses, since these can be manually set if you use any M or R lens and a dumb adapter.  I could check SL profiles in the DNG (with some Adobe tools) if I have links to DNGs taken using the Leica S lenses at the affected focal lengths on the Leica S to SL adapter so that the lens ID is known to the camera.  There are places where well-posed requests get collected for things to be fixed.

scott

#10 Vieri

Vieri

Leica Ambassador

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:45

One of my gripes as we have gone through multiple firmware upgrade cycles on the SL is that only the worst problems with M and R lens profiles (and now S) seem to rise to the top of the queue and get resolved.  The clearly damaged profiles for five of the R telephotos got fixed long ago, but there are no distortion corrections in the profiles for the 35-70 R zoom, and several others.  It was easy to check this for M and R lenses, since these can be manually set if you use any M or R lens and a dumb adapter.  I could check SL profiles in the DNG (with some Adobe tools) if I have links to DNGs taken using the Leica S lenses at the affected focal lengths on the Leica S to SL adapter so that the lens ID is known to the camera.  There are places where well-posed requests get collected for things to be fixed.

scott

Scott,

I wonder if R zooms do transmit focal length information to the camera. If they don't, it is clearly impossible to add correction profiles for them.

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri Bottazzini

#11 gvaliquette

gvaliquette

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:14

Scott,

I wonder if R zooms do transmit focal length information to the camera. If they don't, it is clearly impossible to add correction profiles for them.

Best regards,

Vieri

They do, if ROM

Guy

#12 Vieri

Vieri

Leica Ambassador

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:41

They do, if ROM

Guy

Thank you Guy, I suspected as much but wasn't sure. If Scott's lenses are not ROM, that would explain why he doesn't see corrections. Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri Bottazzini

#13 scott kirkpatrick

scott kirkpatrick

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:29

Thank you Guy, I suspected as much but wasn't sure. If Scott's lenses are not ROM, that would explain why he doesn't see corrections. Best regards,

Vieri

Cmon, Vieri, I'm sometimes careless, but I'm not that dumb!  I have and use the 15/2.8, 16-35, 35-70/4.0, and 80 Summilux, 90 APO Summicron, 100 APO Elmarit macro, 180 APO Elmarit, and 280 Telyt 4.0 R lenses, all of them purchased with ROM in order to get relatively recent copies.  They report their lens ID and focal length if they are fixed focal length, and the two zooms that I have report their current focal length (although you tend to see it only in the review of a shot).  I was the person who reported the damaged lens profiles to Leica when the SL was new, and they got fixed.  I have complained to the appropriate people about the lack of distortion corrections for the wide angle ends of R Vario lenses, and the lack of corrections for the 15's, but those didn't get enough priority to be added to SL firmware.  The fact that several of these lenses were not in-house designs may have been a factor.  

Anyway, I don't see distortion corrections because Leica has not provided them for certain legacy R lenses that do need them. 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick, Yesterday, 20:30.

#14 Vieri

Vieri

Leica Ambassador

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:34

Cmon, Vieri, I'm sometimes careless, but I'm not that dumb!  I have and use the 15/2.8, 16-35, 35-70/4.0, and 80 Summilux, 90 APO Summicron, 100 APO Elmarit macro, 180 APO Elmarit, and 280 Telyt 4.0 R lenses, all of them purchased with ROM in order to get relatively recent copies.  They report their lens ID and focal length if they are fixed focal length, and the two zooms that I have report their current focal length (although you tend to see it only in the review of a shot).  I was the person who reported the damaged lens profiles to Leica when the SL was new, and they got fixed.  I have complained to the appropriate people about the lack of distortion corrections for the wide angle ends of R Vario lenses, and the lack of corrections for the 15's, but those didn't get enough priority to be added to SL firmware.  The fact that several of these lenses were not in-house designs may have been a factor.  

Anyway, I don't see distortion corrections because Leica has not provided them for certain legacy R lenses that do need them. 

Chill Scott. I am sorry if I didn't know your full history, if I didn't know whether your lenses are ROM or not, and tried to help. That will not happen again, don't worry. Best regards,

Vieri

• LAHilltop said thank you to this

Vieri Bottazzini

#15 scott kirkpatrick

scott kirkpatrick

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted Today, 08:16

Vieri, sorry for the aggrieved tone of my response.  The post in which I had just answered that question appeared in a different thread (https://www.l-camera...able/?p=3396428 ).  So we had been speaking in different rooms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic