Has anyone ever tried one of these puppies

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked back on a thread from 2013 about using a M lens on a Nikon Body and came across this https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/208020-leica-m-mount-lenses-on-nikon-d800e/ I found this today on eBay and wondered if anyone has tried it. Its only 20 quid so I am happy to be a guyina pig and give it a go...............just wondered what has happened since 2013 if it will infact work//

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-F-Concept-Lens-Mount-Adapter-for-Leica-M-Rangefinder-Lens-to-Nikon-Camera-Body/272658447260?hash=item3f7bb5bb9c:g:YtoAAOSwM8ZZevQg

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

An M lens can't work on your Nikon as a normal lens, only as a close up lens.

The adaptor will effectively work as an extension tube. If that's what you intended it for then it should work fine.

James

Why is that mate..........??

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is that the same as the one I posted above Jaap?? https://www.ebay.co....toAAOSwM8ZZevQg

Neil

It is obviously not for Nikon. Mine is for a Leica M lens to Panasonic, but the build quality is good.

As James and John say, an M lens cannot focus to infinity on a Nikon body, as it is made for a thinner camera.

Why is that mate..........??

Long explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance but basically the distance from the lens mount to the sensor (27.8mm) for an M lens at infinity is shorter than that for a Nikon lens to the sensor (46.5mm) at infinity, so you can't get infinity focus by using an M lens on a Nikon reflex body because the M lens is too far from the sensor (46.5mm). It will focus but only much closer than infinity.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

I

Long explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance but basically the distance from the lens mount to the sensor (27.8mm) for an M lens at infinity is shorter than that for a Nikon lens to the sensor (46.5mm) at infinity, so you can't get infinity focus by using an M lens on a Nikon reflex body because the M lens is too far from the sensor (46.5mm). It will focus but only much closer than infinity.

It has been explained to Neil in the past i am sure, but it is so entertaining going over and over again over same old fundamentals.

If i said to Neil i am having Star beer now [and i am] he would know [hint not Nigeria but close]. 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I

It has been explained to Neil in the past i am sure, but it is so entertaining going over and over again over same old fundamentals.

If i said to Neil i am having Star beer now [and i am] he would know [hint not Nigeria but close]. 

Miaden

You must be in Angola then as that is the only other place I have had Star Beer...............it gois down better with a bole of peanuts and some erotic dancers :) :) Both of wich there are plenty in Nigeria :) :)

Neil

Fun that the manufacturer/seller does indeed give a sort of warning about the limitations of M lenses on a Nikon body...

"This fabulous adapter can enable the camera owners to increase the cameras' magnification and working distance. "

But as a smart salesperson, it presents is as a plus, leaving aside a trivial sentence like "does not focus to infinity"... :p

(maybe he could have at least said "does not focus to infinity with SOME lenses"... maybe the Macro Elmar M 90 , retracted, could even... B)  

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Fun that the manufacturer/seller does indeed give a sort of warning about the limitations of M lenses on a Nikon body...

"This fabulous adapter can enable the camera owners to increase the cameras' magnification and working distance. "

But as a smart salesperson, it presents is as a plus, leaving aside a trivial sentence like "does not focus to infinity"... :p

(maybe he could have at least said "does not focus to infinity with SOME lenses"... maybe the Macro Elmar M 90 , retracted, could even... B)  

:) Macro Elmar M 90 is interesting. It will be a very nice 90mm lens. Does anyone know amount of "retracted length"? We can compare with nikon mount distance.

Leica Macro Elmar M 90 collapsible minus extended length is 18mm. Nikon F flange distance is 46.5mm.

=> When collapsed, Macro Elmar M 90 will sit at 46.5-18=28.5mm distance, which is larger than Leica M flange distance of 27.8mm.

Conclusion: It will still not reach infinity.

Note: It will be interesting to do the same to Canon EOS mount which is only 44mm. It means it is possible to focus to infinity by collapsing the M lens.

reminds me of this guy who hacked off the front of his Canon 5D to use his Noctilux on it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Even if you could retract the lens back sufficiently to enable focussing at infinity, how would you focus it?  The mirror would need to be retracted ...

Even if you could retract the lens back sufficiently to enable focussing at infinity, how would you focus it?  The mirror would need to be retracted ...

No, indeed... the Macro Elmar 90 (differently from the "old" Elmar 90 retractable) does not protrude over the back flange, when retracted  (I am sure... have it.. and infact Leica says it's fully compatible with digital M bodies, while declaring a warning on all the "old" retractable lenses, prior to the Elmar M 50)

Leica Macro Elmar M 90 collapsible minus extended length is 18mm. Nikon F flange distance is 46.5mm.

=> When collapsed, Macro Elmar M 90 will sit at 46.5-18=28.5mm distance, which is larger than Leica M flange distance of 27.8mm...

Conclusion: It will still not reach infinity.

.. and you also must add to 28,5 the thickness of the adapter... no way, pity... ;)

• Like 1

Miaden

You must be in Angola then as that is the only other place I have had Star Beer...............it gois down better with a bole of peanuts and some erotic dancers :) :) Both of wich there are plenty in Nigeria :) :)

Neil

Hi Neil,

Other side of equator, Ghana.  They had peanuts in Accra, where i am never mind snacks, no working shower, thanks Star-god beer is cold.  Talking of  exotic girls of Nigeria, ts ts, not for sensible eyes on here.

Your question refer to registry distance, which is distance between lens flange and film/sensor plane.

For M cameras it is short only, 27.8mm, which means lens for M system only operate with cameras with same or even shorter registry.  For SL it is round 18mm for Nikon F it is 46.5mm, as you know SL works with M lenses with a help of extension tube [or M-L adaptor] that birings M lens to the correct registry on the SL camera.  Doesn't work with Nikon F as mirror box is deeper than M lens registry..