Rendering of missed focus

Csacwp

I’m not suggesting it’s automatically art (or art at all). When I apply digital grain with VSCO on a soft focus image, it still looks wrong compared to film. Not sure why.

Because it's artificial grain and not grain of film that actually makes up the image.

However, I'm not sure I agree with your OP. I think you're confusing texture/grain of film images rather than the OOF rendering as such. Perhaps you can post some examples to show what you mean.

At the risk of being a PITA - why try to mimic? Too much of that and you will need medication. 

Both film and digital have their qualities. If you like what film gives you... If you like what digital provides...

They are not the same. 

Reminds me of some antique comedian - What we need here is sincerity. If we can fake that, we've got it made.

Edited by Michael Hiles

I just wonder if the new Thambar lens, which deliberately aims for soft focus, will work anything like as well on digital as it did on film. Although to be fair I seem to remember my father giving up on it in fairly short order, it going into a drawer and staying there. The evidence of the sample shots, which presumably were on digital, tended to bear out - better on film than digital. 

Wilson