Off to The Isle of Skye with just the Q.

Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So tomorrow I embark on a wee journey to the Isle of Skye in Scotland. 

After much deliberation over what to take, SL, Q, IR, this lens, that lens, tripod, blah blah blah.

I decided to take ONLY the Q

Wish me luck.

It is a very capable camera in the right hands but I have always had the comfort of having extra lenses and toys around to get a variety of shots from the same place. It will, I hope, give me a chance to use my brain again, with only a 28mm lens (albeit a damn good one) I will have to think more about composition and angles.

• Like 1

I applaud your decision. So much better than lugging around gear and spending time picking the "right" lens/camera combination instead of just shooting and "making it work". I subscribe to that philosophy. Here's a set taken only with the Q on a trip where I took only that camera.

https://brick.smugmug.com/Travel/2017-9-Seine-River-biking-and-London/

• Like 6

I applaud your decision. So much better than lugging around gear and spending time picking the "right" lens/camera combination instead of just shooting and "making it work". I subscribe to that philosophy. Here's a set taken only with the Q on a trip where I took only that camera.

Brick,

WOW!  What a great set of photos ..  really wonderful!  Thanks for sharing your Q work.

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

spectacular images.  i particularly enjoy the 'grain' you have introduced into the images. . .  

The Q and Skye were made for each other.

Did the same last year ... Skye Lewis and the Highlands ... not a photo trip ... vacation with my wife.

But the Q was brilliant and then some. My other camera is now a Hasselblad X1D ... and I would still opt for the Q.

May be Leica's best all around travel street camera.

90% was Manual Focus.

Color dynamic range and contrast/sharpness were outstanding.

I will part with the X1D prior to the Q.

All that extra stuff gets in the way of your vision and your memories.

BTW ... it is the best center console in the rental car camera I have seen. See a view ... slam on the brakes slide to the edge of the roadway ... grab the Q ... jump out and capture something 

most photographers will find once in a very long life.

Enjoy the trip ... one of my most favorite places on the planet.

I had a weeks trip to Skye earlier ths year, and took my SL +++. Unfortunately, on the first day I slipped with the SL on the tripod and the SL was broke. Fortunately a friend had a Q as his back-up and kindly lent it to me. I used it handheld, with large ND filters and long exposures and it produced a set of photo's I was exceptionally happy with. If taking just one small camera is your choice - the Q wont let you down.

• Like 2

Well I'm here, raining like mad now but managed to grab a few shots on the way. Tomorrow is another day.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Hello Marac,

I often do things with 1 camera with 1 lens with a rigid lens hood. The lens hood more for protection against inadvertent impact & damage than for flare suppression. Sometimes the "less can be more" Philosophy works quite well.

The 1 extra thing that I try to take with me whenever I can is a small, solid, table tripod, with soft, non-marking slippers, with a large ball head & a cable release. I use a home made version (Esthetically challenged.) of a Leitz/Leica table tripod with a medium sized version of a Leitz large ball head.  "Large" came in different sizes in different years.

Held against my chest it gives me +2 stops of added stability.

Against a tree, on a rock, inside a door frame, or against a wall it can add any number of stops of stability necessary. On a car with the engine turned OFF or even on a table: It can do the same thing.

A cable release alone sometimes allows for advantageous positioning & added stability in a number of situations.

The more you use this combination: The more ways you figure out how to use it.  

I have pretty much left a full sized tripod at home for very many years.

A photo taken at F8 at 1/8 sec can be very different from the same scene taken at F2 at 1/125 sec.

All of this taken apart & folded up takes very little space. Even together & open it is small.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Thanks Michael, definitely something I will be trying on my next visit up here.

Hoping for some stunning shots today from Elgol.

Here's one from yesterday

• Like 10

• Like 19

I’m totally jealous. Keep them coming.

Any experience in Cornwall? That looks like a very scenic area based upon watching Poldark and Doc Martin on TV.

Cornwall is beautiful, not as wild and mountainous as Scotland but some wonderful coastal scenes & St Michael's mount too. 

• Like 1

Weather was OK but very windy & cold.

• Like 19