Now It Comes To Your Screens...

sabears

I feel involved because the item is in Italy... Genova, the town of the "historical" importer of Leitz (Cattaneo) and where still exists one of the best (he too "historical") indipendent lab for Leitz gear (SAMCA - they had - have(?) - many original test&repair Leitz equipment) ; so , for an Italian does not sound strange that some odd part sprouts out from Genova (and... original s/n !!) : who knows what's the story behind.... :rolleyes:

I don't understand why this is attracting such a price - what would the person who wins do with it? Add it to another body & create a Franken-leitz? Keep it as a collectable?

I presume you would leave it as is & not repaint/restore it?

To me the first option, to say, a "100% original black paint M3" is about to born somewhere ...

To me the first option, to say, a "100% original black paint M3" is about to born somewhere ...

It can be, indeed... I don't know exactly if the black paint M3s are different in something from the chrome ones (of the same time), apart the finishing, but I think no... so, supposed this top is original, if one takes on a std. body of same age and rebulids a M3 (ok.. you have to provide a black bottom plate, too... in some way...) , it's hard to say that it is not original... or at least can be defined as "orignal and restored"... :huh:.

Anyway... (not to defend a compatriot, who I absolutely don't know) I'd say that the sale is rather "clean", in itself... no worse than other items one can find both on eaby and at dealers : he offers for sale an M3 top which is black and bears a certain s/n on which the seller does not declare anything... so good for him if he finds a buyer... :rolleyes:

Btw... I've just noticed that the item apparently has been sold...  no comment on price... :huh:

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It can be, indeed... I don't know exactly if the black paint M3s are different in something from the chrome ones (of the same time), apart the finishing, but I think no... so, supposed this top is original, if one takes on a std. body of same age and rebulids a M3 (ok.. you have to provide a black bottom plate, too... in some way...) , it's hard to say that it is not original... or at least can be defined as "orignal and restored"... :huh:.

Anyway... (not to defend a compatriot, who I absolutely don't know) I'd say that the sale is rather "clean", in itself... no worse than other items one can find both on eaby and at dealers : he offers for sale an M3 top which is black and bears a certain s/n on which the seller does not declare anything... so good for him if he finds a buyer... :rolleyes:

Btw... I've just noticed that the item apparently has been sold...  no comment on price... :huh:

I agree: the bad news is that inside the M3 there is no an engraved serial number  to check (as in older screwmount cameras)...

In any case, this will be not a cheap fake (to find all the little black paint parts it's not easy or cheap) I guess.

I agree: the bad news is that inside the M3 there is no an engraved serial number  to check (as in older screwmount cameras)...

In any case, this will be not a cheap fake (to find all the little black paint parts it's not easy or cheap) I guess.

The price of constructing a fake would be part of the gamble. In New York Phillips recently auctioned a Rolex for US$ 17 million plus. Now the news is babbling about a DaVinci that could go for 100 million. A few years ago there was some idle talk of France selling the Mona Lisa to help pay bills. One billion est. It's all just a souffle now. Don't slam the kitchen door...

The price of constructing a fake would be part of the gamble. In New York Phillips recently auctioned a Rolex for US$ 17 million plus. Now the news is babbling about a DaVinci that could go for 100 million. A few years ago there was some idle talk of France selling the Mona Lisa to help pay bills. One billion est. It's all just a souffle now. Don't slam the kitchen door...

Cough cough. $450 million...