M6 Thinner Than MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... just acquired an MP (chrome), and noticed right away that it felt slightly thicker than my M6 classic (black chrome). Only by just under 1mm (measured at the top plate, where the Leica script is on the MP), but it surprised me as I'd not read that this was the case anywhere before. Every other dimension is identical. Anybody know why this might be, and/or can confirm it using their cameras (i.e. it's not just something a one off with one of mine)?

... just acquired an MP (chrome), and noticed right away that it felt slightly thicker than my M6 classic (black chrome). Only by just under 1mm (measured at the top plate, where the Leica script is on the MP), but it surprised me as I'd not read that this was the case anywhere before. Every other dimension is identical. Anybody know why this might be, and/or can confirm it using their cameras (i.e. it's not just something a one off with one of mine)?

how accurately are you measuring? in a couple of weeks, when my stuff is out of storage, I'll measure all my M cameras with callipers. 

I’m more intrigued now so have ordered a digital caliper. I’ll post a picture once it arrives (a photo without it doesn’t really prove anything).

I suggest a Mitutoyo. It will last a lifetime.

Edited by pico

Tried again: all measured at the right of the eyepiece (seen from the rear) and the left of the viewfinder window (seen from the front) - between the viewfinder and the window for illuminating it (digital calliper):

M3:         32.3   mm

M2:         33.4   mm

M6 (TTL) 33.4   mm

M10        33.8   mm.

The measurement of the M3 doesn't show it's real "thickness" since it has the elevation in front, which I left out. 

The differences are less than a pea - even in the land of princesses.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

Compared to world peace, it doesn't. I found/find it interesting though, partly because I'd not read it before - the accepted reality seems to be that the MP uses the same body size as the M6 (classic).

I have neither an M6 nor an MP ... but my two M bodies' top caps, M-A and M10, both are 33.6 mm. The bottom plates, however, are slightly different—32.2 mm for the M-A; 32.4 mm for the M10.

The Leica M9's depth was 37.2 mm at the top and 35.6 mm at the bottom.

I don't have any digital callipers nor an M6 but I know that the MP and M-A top plates are interchangeable. Assuming Olaf's measurement of his M-A is correct, the MP top plate is therefore also 33.6mm. All we need now is somebody to accurately measure the M6 top plate. :D

:D

People here you are crazy.

So I'm crazy too:

Just "digital calipered" now:

- M-A (silver chrome) 33.83 mm at "i" of top Leica logo

- M6 (0.85 black chrome) 33.33 mm at same place

my conclusion is BC is thinner (0.5mm !) than silver chrome :p

Only for fun.

Those measurements are nothing in real life use.

Or in each M, this "fine measurement" is fingerprint of this particular M :rolleyes: .

• Like 1