how does 1.25 magnifier look

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am wondering what is the down side of using 1.25 magnifier on M camera, or to be more specific what is the different between m10 viewfinder and m 240/262 with 1.25X? 

the way I see it from papers spec with 240/262 1.25 the view finder will be around 0.8 where the M10 is 0.73 so is that better choice ?

is there is any down side for using 1.25 that I should know about ?

Down side is Lack of Contrast :p .

Long time ago, with my M8 (8-9 years ?) the viewfinder in this then new digital M was so "small" that I needed to add x1.25 mag. when available.

This was because I wanted to use my Noctilux 1.0 and Summilux-M 1.4/75 on this "tiny VF" to have more margin focussing in low light.

I did't know that the VF magnifier (I had also x1.4 !) change the VF contrast and had some flare in VF with night time photos : low light + lamps in VF.

Some Leica mag. change the VF diopter (but some not !) so focussing/viewing is less comfortable than without mag.

I understand why some magnifier from third party brands offer mag. with adjustable diopter.

When M9 period came, I don't need VF magnifier anymore.

So with later M, just for curiosity I tried x1.25 mags. and let them in drawer.

With M10, I planned to use x1.25 (so 24001 adapter was bought) but after trying, the nice M10's VF don't need that.

Never try on M-D ;) .

No need to say that new M with LED lighted framelines are the best M finder with no flare and plenty contrast to focus/frame even with Noctilux.

Down side is Lack of Contrast :p .

Long time ago, with my M8 (8-9 years ?) the viewfinder in this then new digital M was so "small" that I needed to add x1.25 mag. when available.

This was because I wanted to use my Noctilux 1.0 and Summilux-M 1.4/75 on this "tiny VF" to have more margin focussing in low light.

I did't know that the VF magnifier (I had also x1.4 !) change the VF contrast and had some flare in VF with night time photos : low light + lamps in VF.

Some Leica mag. change the VF diopter (but some not !) so focussing/viewing is less comfortable than without mag.

I understand why some magnifier from third party brands offer mag. with adjustable diopter.

When M9 period came, I don't need VF magnifier anymore.

So with later M, just for curiosity I tried x1.25 mags. and let them in drawer.

With M10, I planned to use x1.25 (so 24001 adapter was bought) but after trying, the nice M10's VF don't need that.

Never try on M-D ;) .

No need to say that new M with LED lighted framelines are the best M finder with no flare and plenty contrast to focus/frame even with Noctilux.

Thanx 

I would like two ask when u say new M you mean M10 alone or all the new generation including 240/262 ?

I have a magnifier. Don't use it much. Only with 135mm on tripod, and I have used that lens for less than 10 images since 1995!

The magnifier is really not comfortable to use for me. Loss of contrast as noted, eye relief is terrible. I would rather use an M3

Thanx 

I would like two ask when u say new M you mean M10 alone or all the new generation including 240/262 ?

New generation M that have LED lighted framelines began with M (type 240) in 2012.

Some "limited M9" had that feature just before the M240 line.

As I came late to this family (M240), I didn't know that the M finder progressed in contrast/no-flare .

I used Monochrom and M9 when I discovered the progress (not so big, but very comfortable in low/difficult lighting).

And another topic: I changed to M-A :) to replace all my film-use M.

Best VF of all M.

Edited by a.noctilux

... what is the difference between M10 viewfinder and M (Typ 240/262) with 1.25×?

Two differences:

• Magnification — M (Typ 240) w/ 1.25× loupe is 0.85×; M10 w/o loupe is 0.73×.
  • Field-of-view — in M (Typ 240)'s viewfinder w/ 1.25× loupe you cannot see the 35-mm framelines at a glance (need to move the eye around); in M10's viewfinder w/o loupe you can see the 28-mm framelines.

When the camera's eye-piece and the loupe are meticulously clean then the loss of contrast will be negligible.

Magnification won't correct eyesight deficiencies; it will just magnify them. Always correct vision first, via glasses, contacts, diopters, etc. Astigmatism can especially mess with M focusing.

Jeff

Agree.

After getting my  first digital M I picked up the 1.25x and 1.4x magnifying eyepieces to help with focusing and they did help a bit.  I used a corrective diopter due to declining near-focus ability and I also suffered from  astigmatism and cataracts.  After my cataract surgery (which also corrected  the astigmatism) I still need the  diopter, but not the magnifying eyepieces.

• Like 1