M10 or M-D the hard choice!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes and there’s nothing wrong with asking people about experiences but in the end your camera has to feel good in your own hands.

There’s another point though that’s important here and that is rangefinder photography. OP comes from see through the lens systems (DSLR, mirrorless EVF) and that is quite a different way of looking, composing and making photographs. The journey with the M240 was short. Now the M-D is quite an expensive way of getting to know whether your portfolio is getting better or worse with RF photography comparing to your DSLR or EVF portfolio. So maybe it’s an idea to ask people about these portfolio’s besides asking camera-owners about their experiences.

Yes the good important point is RF photography with traps that even with decades of RF I fall into the traps regularly, the last one not later than yesterday.

This is a bit out of topic, but concern rangefinder "traps".

This is the "crap image"

the RF trap is when I framed, the "image" was "all is in focus in viewfinder", but forgot to focus adjust :o

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The frame just before the former "crap image"

And here what I wanted, a bit better (some crop ;) )

all photos with Monochrom and Summicron-M 50mm

yesterday, Place de la Révolution Française, Montpellier

• Like 1

I find it odd that M10 users would quibbled over the reasons for stripping out the LCD to an M-D. Compared to an A7, D850 or 5D, an M10 is already a stripped down camera. The M-D is just a further step.

I agree with Ian’s post above, to a point. His post captures the argument against the M-D nicely, except that removing or adding the LCD has zero impact on the final image. No matter how many functions, aids and other information an LCD gives you, a picture remains a function of framing, focus and exposure (ISO, aperture & shutter). The M-D has all that. I loved my M60.

Choosing between the M10 and current M-D is a tough choice. I think I’d go with the M10 for now. I like to think an M10 version of the M-D will come with the newer Visoflex giving you better ttl functionality and WiFi ... that would be the camera I’d hold out for.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Dear all

I would like to thank you for you advices in this matter just left Red dot camera in UK and placed the order for M10 after thinking alot about this decision, I decided on M10 for alot of reasons first that M10 is going to be the future on all the releases from Leica in next 4 years with new sensor and new processor.

As from photography prospective normally I travel for project that I should leave no chance for guessing and chance, I should always know on spot that I have captured the story that I intended to do so, yes the M-D is camera that I might enjoy more using than M10 but I have to be rational on equipment and to deliver the project is more important than how much did I enjoy the experience of using a camera.

Buying M-D means somewhere in the future I am going to buy SL or even M10 for reasons mentioned above so why dont I buy the camera that will serve me well in pleasure and projects.

I have to look at cameras as photography instruments and decide upon the way I shoot, I am a travel photographer and do need to shoot sometimes on location with softbox and flashes under uncontrolled environment so M10 will serve me better in these situations.

Any way I thank you again and appreciate all the inputs frm everyone in this matter

• Like 7

Good choice.  Enjoy it!  I'm sure there is either an M-D or version 1 Monochrom in your future!

What lenses will you be using?

Thanx

Currently i am using 50mm cron and 28 cron and planing to add 90mm cron and thats more than enough for me, sometimes i like to go super wide so maybe a good 15mm Voigtländer will do

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The point is that the M10 is not much better, it is just more refined in some aspects, mainly the thickness and the viewfinder (both the optical and accessory electronic one). Which makes it a favourite for users who wanted those refinements - fortunately, as Leica needs to sell cameras.

The M-D, however, is a completely different experience in photography, as it forces you away from the instant result of digital. 

So, given your post, my advice would be to get the M-D. There will be very few advantages from a hypothetical M10-D, no use waiting to see if it might materialize in the future, as it would add little to your experience. But wait for November 21st, on the minimal off-chance, Leica has been known to pull weird surprises out of their collective hats on occasions like this.

I had an M-D and loved it. But I have a couple of M10s now and haven't regretted losing the M-D a bit. 

The idea that the M-D forces you away from digital is a bit of a misnomer. I don't have review on my M10s at all, but there are times when I do use review to ensure critical framing. And then there are those times when I need to ensure sharpness. For instance, I recently two pictures of the same mosaic. I thought I had the first shot nailed, but a close review showed that I had shot at a slight angle so a portion of the frame wasn't critically sharp the way I needed it to be. I shot it a second time and it was perfect. I wouldn't have had that second photograph with an M-D. 

I just finished a project where I was shooting the M10 with ISO 6400 and even ISO 10K. The images are great. The M-D can't do that. It had trouble sometimes even at 1600 when I used it. So, I wouldn't go with an M-D now that the M10 is out. 

• Like 1

Dear all

I would like to thank you for you advices in this matter just left Red dot camera in UK and placed the order for M10 after thinking alot about this decision, I decided on M10 for alot of reasons first that M10 is going to be the future on all the releases from Leica in next 4 years with new sensor and new processor.

As from photography prospective normally I travel for project that I should leave no chance for guessing and chance, I should always know on spot that I have captured the story that I intended to do so, yes the M-D is camera that I might enjoy more using than M10 but I have to be rational on equipment and to deliver the project is more important than how much did I enjoy the experience of using a camera.

Buying M-D means somewhere in the future I am going to buy SL or even M10 for reasons mentioned above so why dont I buy the camera that will serve me well in pleasure and projects.

I have to look at cameras as photography instruments and decide upon the way I shoot, I am a travel photographer and do need to shoot sometimes on location with softbox and flashes under uncontrolled environment so M10 will serve me better in these situations.

Any way I thank you again and appreciate all the inputs frm everyone in this matter

:) Good decision.

The reasons win over the heart.

M10 is the best suited your photography anyway.

Don't forget to order some more batteries for M10.

• Like 2

Wise and anti-autosuggestive decision indeed. I mean, the M-D being "the real photography" is a self-suggestion which will probably rather harm and limit in the long run than enhance your creativity, especially now that I see what your kind of work actually is

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Wise and anti-autosuggestive decision indeed. I mean, the M-D being "the real photography" is a self-suggestion which will probably rather harm and limit in the long run than enhance your creativity, especially now that I see what your kind of work actually is

Indeed, I think the one advice that was in my ear when i was in the shop yesterday that someone in this thread said “ you are trying to over doing it “ and i do agree that is nice to have simple equipment with you to get the job done but over doing by limiting myself on location when i am traveling thousands miles is something i shouldn’t be doing

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Indeed, I think the one advice that was in my ear when i was in the shop yesterday that someone in this thread said “ you are trying to over doing it “ and i do agree that is nice to have simple equipment with you to get the job done but over doing by limiting myself on location when i am traveling thousands miles is something i shouldn’t be doing

To repeat myself: M-D experience is unique in digital Ms  (with M Edition 60 of course).

Maybe one day if you have opportunity to try M-D, try it ...

M10 battery life is something to remind me that M-D battery life (4 or more times better than M10's) is from another planet.

I do have several M10 batteries and I don't use LV or EVF much.

A screen can be misleading. If I do not  put my display on LOW on my M10, I tend to underexpose (especially for prints, for presentation on screens it might be nice mostly) and battery-life is even shorter.