Sign in to follow this  
theQ

Leica Q question - internal sound (not OIS)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I've noticed recently that when ON, Q makes this constant noise - sort of like hard-drive working/internal electonics buzzing... not the OIS element in lens when the camera is OFF, nor the clicky aparture sound). It's an electronic sound, just like a computer or other larger device emites... especialy noticable when I put my ear to the lens or LCD... but can be heard even from some distance, when the room is quiet...

Is this normal? Should I worry?

thanks

Hi there,

I've noticed recently that when ON, Q makes this constant noise - sort of like hard-drive working/internal electonics buzzing... not the OIS element in lens when the camera is OFF, nor the clicky aparture sound). It's an electronic sound, just like a computer or other larger device emites... especialy noticable when I put my ear to the lens or LCD... but can be heard even from some distance, when the room is quiet...

Is this normal? Should I worry?

thanks

Hi,

I'm sorry tot tell that, but it's not normal. I got my Q six months ago and never had this problem. No noise at all if we except the OIS when the camera is OFF.

When did you get your camera ? Do you use the updated firmware ? Does it happen all the time ?

Maybe you could try to re-install the 2.0.

Hi,

I'm sorry tot tell that, but it's not normal. I got my Q six months ago and never had this problem. No noise at all if we except the OIS when the camera is OFF.

When did you get your camera ? Do you use the updated firmware ? Does it happen all the time ?

Maybe you could try to re-install the 2.0.

I've to make a correction : If you are in a very quiet room and if you stick your ear to the camera's body, there is a slight noise. On my camera that's really subliminal. 

I've to make a correction : If you are in a very quiet room and if you stick your ear to the camera's body, there is a slight noise. On my camera that's really subliminal. 

Yep, I agree but I do have to put my ear right up to the camera - just never heard it before since I am not in the habit of photographing with my ear (rather than eye) up to the camera. 

Reviving this thread for the Q2.

I just got the Q2 and hearing the noise.   I first noticed in a quiet room, with the camera on a table.  Up to my ear it sounds like a whirring hard drive 

Anyone else? 

I noticed it too.  I initially thought something was loose in the camera but realized it was probably OIS.  Pics looks fine.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:58 PM, HighlandK said:

Yep, I agree but I do have to put my ear right up to the camera - just never heard it before since I am not in the habit of photographing with my ear (rather than eye) up to the camera. 

This might change, when Leica incorporates a phone into the Q8.

After all, we have phone cameras, so why not camera phones?