First Leica: M240 + Voigtlander 35mm or...?

FirstLeica

I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago. I'm more of a 50 shooter, so I started with a 50 and an M240, but very soon thereafter added a 35.

I went for the 35mm Leica Summarit-M, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. It's not mentioned in the forums as often as the Summicrons, Voigtlanders, and Zeiss options, but it's a very solid lens and a great performer. I was able to snap mine up used for around $800. You can easily nab both a second-hand M240 and one of these lenses - both in mint or near-mint condition - within your $4K budget these days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have an M 240 and now own the newer Voigtländer 35mm F1.7 Ultron Aspherical. It's about $1K AUD, fantastic lens with very smooth bokeh (unlike the Summilux donut bokeh). It vignettes a lot at F1.7 but the lens is quite sharp, very well made and sturdy and has been with me the whole year. It even has a minimum focus distance of 0.5m.

They're so good I bought the 50mm F1.5 Nokton Aspherical for about the same price. Beautiful lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Nick Bedford
  • Like 1

I use the 240 with a 35 f2  Biogon. I have the Lux and Cron and for some reason, the Biogon is not as clinical. It draws in a manner that gives a pleasing image without reading sharpness contrast etc. 

The thing about Leica glass that goes way back, is not the sharpness. There's many sharp lenses out there. The single most important element is the CONTRAST. There is nothing being produced by anyone that comes close to the contrstof Leica glass. 

That being said, for me I'm a streetshoter and prefer not to have that sharp biting contrast. The Biogon does that. It has a nice rendering and is no slouch but what it does that my other lenses don't do, is stay on my 240.

Happy New Years all

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks guys. I think I’ll go for a used 35mm Summicron ASPH, as most of you have recommended—since the lens holds its own value.

Will probably go for a used M9 and upgrade in the future.

Be it an M9 + ‘cron or M240 + Voigtlander, I don’t think any of those options will disappoint!

Beware that many Summicron 35/2 asph lenses have been made for film and need to be calibrated by Leica for digital use. Properly calibrated 35/2 asph like mine have no significant focus shift or any other focusing problem. Also the M9 makes more digital noise than the M240 in low light. I have no experience with the Ultron 35/1.7 but i've seen superb pictures made with it so i would be tempted by this lens on a second hand M240 if i were in your shoes.