Desperatly need a body for my Noctilux and 28mm 5.6 Summercrome

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Cool. I think it makes sense to focus on the S, that is what you've stayed with this whole time. Just hang onto the Noctilux for now.

The Contax adapter gives full AF and Auto aperture. The 80mm isn't better than the Leica 70 but it is the closet thing to a Noctilux in it's wide open characteristics, swirly backgrounds etc. and has the lowest available depth of field with AF in medium format. It does looks quite Noctiluxy even on the cropped Medium Format sensors.

Hasselblad X1 has had updated firmware and is suppose to be much better. They are bringing out an 80mm f2 or faster next year - The rumour is f1.4. So that could be a proper Noctilux alternative. Probably better to wait till next Photokina for that decision.

Kipon just bought out an M Lens adapter for the Hasselblad too. You would have to crop the vignetting out for the Noctilux but that could be a reasonable compromise if it means you can simply everything down to one small system that gives you both worlds.

Paul

First thing I am going to do is try and get a demo with the M10, Ideally I want something small to take out when the S is at home, the M10 may fill that gap if the focusing isn't two bad................money wise M10 ~$6 grand (Contax ~2k plus $1800 for an adapter) that's already 2/3 of a new M10 but saying that if I cant focus the M10 then the Context will be the best way to go. With regard too the Hasselblad I think I would have a better look at it if Hasselblad come out with a version 2  just to see if they are serious since the other company took over

Neil

Neil, the M10 is easier to focus than previous digital Ms but probably not in-your-face easier in the way you'd like.

But, you could use the detachable EVF with the Noctilux and that would be a breeze in most situations. The 28mm Summaron is dead easy to focus, and at f11, which is surprisingly useable on the M10, you can pre-focus at around 1 meter and then use it without focussing at all if you want to.

You should try it out. I think the M10 files are noticeably nicer than the M9 and M240's too, though as always, not everyone agrees. But they're wrong!

yea I forgot about the EVF. That 28mm is sweet. I had a play with it on my SL before I sold it and you are write about the pre focusing .......................Noctilux plus 28mm would pretty much do it for me, but I am not convinced that the M10 rangfinder will cut it. I will only be in KL for a few days then off to japan, maybe the leica dealer in Kyoto will have a demo but I doubt it............Then I am heading to Phuket so no real chance to have a demo.

Anyway I am in no hurry (even though the tital says I am) I am happy to play with my new 4x5 until I am back in leica ville

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I agree with Peter.

I'm in a similar boat and I've kept the M, pretty much just for the Noctilux. That damn Noctilux makes these decision very hard! I could never give it up.

Out of all the pictures I have ever taken I like my Noctilux pictures best.............even if the focus is sometimes off

You cant beet the squiggly bits :) :)

Neil

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Sounds like a good plan and I hope the M10 works out for you - that would be a win/win situation.

Same for me re Noctilux - best ever, nothing else like it. If it were just for my personal work I could even just get away with just that one lens on an M body.

Between now and getting a demo with a M10 I guess I can always screw the Noctilux on my M6 :). Just never managed to get the squiggly bits with my M6

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

........The reason I sold the SL was that I wanted a compact system to use when the S007 was at home but basically the SL is the same size as the S007 so if I am going to go out with the SL then I might as well take the S system.....

Not really... the Noctilux is what precludes compactness. The S weighs almost exactly twice the M10, while the SL is only about 25% heavier. And most of the SL size difference compared to the M is due to the grip and the protruding VF....the S is much thicker all over. And if one uses the external EVF on the M, the differences are minor, and the SL EVF is superior.

Check the camera size comparison web site. People often perceive size/weight differences due to ergonomics, carrying methods, etc..

Jeff

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Not really... the Noctilux is what precludes compactness. The S weighs almost exactly twice the M10, while the SL is only about 25% heavier. And most of the SL size difference compared to the M is due to the grip and the protruding VF....the S is much thicker all over. And if one uses the external EVF on the M, the differences are minor, and the SL EVF is superior.

Check the camera size comparison web site. People often perceive size/weight differences due to ergonomics, carrying methods, etc..

Jeff

Jeff

Without a doubt the reason I sold the SL was like I stated above. As for looking at comparisons on the web, they will give you a basic idea but at the end of the day nothing beets holding it in your hand and comparing..............Ive already had M bodies as you know so I already have an idea what to expect as far as weight and size..............for once in my life I am not in a hurry to buy anything (yes that's me talking) :) :)

Neil

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Best combinations:

SL + 50 Noctilux + 28 Summilux

or 

M10 + 50 Apo Cron + 28 Cron

and finally stick with it.

Bobby

The 50 APO is not the same as the Noctilux and the 28mm Summerlux is not as sexy as the Summercrome. If I get the M10 then it will have the Noctilux or Summercrome on it

Neil

• Like 1

Jeff

Without a doubt the reason I sold the SL was like I stated above. As for looking at comparisons on the web, they will give you a basic idea but at the end of the day nothing beets holding it in your hand and comparing..............Ive already had M bodies as you know so I already have an idea what to expect as far as weight and size..............for once in my life I am not in a hurry to buy anything (yes that's me talking) :) :)

Neil

I've handled and used all three systems. The SL is far closer to the M than the S in size and weight. And both much quieter and more responsive than the S without the huge flapping mirror.

Again, you should consider your grip/carrying options. The S weighs as much as 2 M10s. The SL is marginally more.

But the M10 is sweet. You need to give it a proper try... eye correction, calibration check, etc.. not just a quick look.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

If zone focused you should be OK using approximate RF focusing. This would suit the 28 down to the ground, but the Noctilux in a different matter, unless using the Thorsen Overgaard technique: I believe he uses LV on the M240 and more recently the M10.

Basically, I think either camera will suit your needs. Also remembering sharpness is a bourgeoise concept.

It really depends on personal vision state. I knew people who have to quit photography due to their vision state and only able to return to it after modern EVF were introduced. They made it is with Sony FF, in particular.

Forgot to mention, I have Russian 28 f6 and with added focus collar RF is not really needed, but zone focusing by positioning of the focus tab. Fast fifty is very different story, then....

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It really depends on personal vision state. I knew people who have to quit photography due to their vision state and only able to return to it after modern EVF were introduced. They made it is with Sony FF, in particular.

I wear glasses for reading and recently have progressive glasses that sharpen up my long vision to saying that I drive my car without glasses and can happily wall around with my S007 without glasses......its got a built in diapers

Neil

Hello Neil,

Did you think about an M3 with a quick-load for the Noctilux? With a shoe mounted viewfinder for the 28.

Using the M3's .91x magnification rangefinder to focus for BOTH.

This will make it easier to focus BOTH more accurately.

Then: Just add a good meter. There have been a number of useful metering Threads on this Forum.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I wear glasses for reading and recently have progressive glasses that sharpen up my long vision to saying that I drive my car without glasses and can happily wall around with my S007 without glasses......its got a built in diapers

Neil

Built-in diapers would help incontinence if that was a problem but they won't help your eye-sight. ;)   Mrs Malaprop would be envious.

Pete.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Built-in diapers would help incontinence if that was a problem but they won't help your eye-sight. ;)   Mrs Malaprop would be envious.

Pete.

Confused Peter

The S007 has a built in Diopter ??