Desperatly need a body for my Noctilux and 28mm 5.6 Summercrome

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

Since selling my Leica SL (last month) I am desperately needing a body for my Noctilux and soon to buy 28mm 5.6 Summercrome. When I sold my SL I initially thought I could use the TL2 (which you can) but due to the fact that it has a cropped sensor it just doesn't look like Noctilux files should look. I gave my TL2 to my wife and was thinking that I could use my Noctilux and Summerchrome on her Sony A7!!............has anyone on here done that??

I like the look of the M10 but scared that I will run into the same issues that I had when I had a M9P and M240 (problems with rhe rangefinder due to my discriminating eye sight). I belive that Leica is coming out with a new mirrorless camera next week but it looks like that will also be a crop sensor.

As for the Sony I just know that the buttons and menu will kill me.......I had one when they first came out and hatted the menu and buttons along with the EVF too

Ideas

Neil

Hello

Since selling my Leica SL (last month) I am desperately needing a body for my Noctilux and soon to buy 28mm 5.6 Summercrome. When I sold my SL I initially thought I could use the TL2 (which you can) but due to the fact that it has a cropped sensor it just doesn't look like Noctilux files should look. I gave my TL2 to my wife and was thinking that I could use my Noctilux and Summerchrome on her Sony A7!!............has anyone on here done that??

I like the look of the M10 but scared that I will run into the same issues that I had when I had a M9P and M240 (problems with rhe rangefinder due to my discriminating eye sight). I belive that Leica is coming out with a new mirrorless camera next week but it looks like that will also be a crop sensor.

As for the Sony I just know that the buttons and menu will kill me.......I had one when they first came out and hatted the menu and buttons along with the EVF too

Ideas

Neil

Sheesh... Why did you sell your SL? It is about the only option for your requirements. I'm not convinced that the 28/5.6 will deploy its full character on a Sony, the sensor simply is not adapted to Leica wideangles. Nor to other RF lenses, but it probably won't show on your Noctilux, depending on how critical you are.

I would say, swallow your seller's remorese and get another SL.

• Like 2

Yeah that's tricky mate, it's very frustrating trying to find the silver bullet that solves everything especially if you have eye troubles.

It's an SL or M10 really. Or put up with the adapted Sony.

The one camera you love and have stuck with this whole time is the S. That seems like a good indication you should just focus your attention on that and maybe consider the Q for a small AF summerphone replacement.

Edited by Paul J

Have you tried the Hasselblad X1D? It seems like something that could work for you combining the image quality of the S and the small size of the M and autofocus so you don't have to worry about eye sight.

You could probably just do a straight swap too with what you have.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have no experience with former Leica cameras, but I find the M10 easy to hit focus with the 28 Elmarit and 50 Summilux. I do wear rather strong glasses and have some additional eye problems.

Stephan

Did you have a M something before the M10...............is it "IN YOUR FACE" easier to focus than the previous M's that you may have had. I did try and get a demo M10 but that was like getting a (No don't even go there Neil) :) :) :)

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

why not buying the SL again?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

I just cant do that..........The reason I sold the SL was that I wanted a compact system to use when the S007 was at home but basically the SL is the same size as the S007 so if I am going to go out with the SL then I might as well take the S system. I was really hoping that the TL2 was going to tick all the boxes which it definatly does with the TL lenses but unfortunately not with the Noctilux :( And seeing as the little dinky 28mm Summerchrome woukld be a 35mm on the TL2 then that wouldn't work either.

Neil

Stephan

Did you have a M something before the M10...............is it "IN YOUR FACE" easier to focus than the previous M's that you may have had. I did try and get a demo M10 but that was like getting a (No don't even go there Neil) :) :) :)

Neil

No, the M10 is my first Leica and after focussing with MF lenses on a D700 with Milvus lenses, I find the M10 easy and fast to focus, although the Summarit 90 2.5 is more of a challenge. Hardly any misses with the 50 1.4. I focus with my left eye as that is the best of the two. 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil,

Why?

Why did you sell the SL (which is what I would recommend if your eyes aren't up to the RF)?

Why are you going to buy another M mount lens if you don't use an M body?

?

See above

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Why not the SL? It may not be the perfect solution but, on your criteria, it looks like the best option until Leica brings out a smaller full frame mirrorless.

Paul

I hear you man but unlike you and many others when I am done with something I just get rid of it and move on...............I'm not a whorder :). Im pissed off that the TL2 didn't do what I tought it would do but looking back (im not going to even try spelling that) I should have realized it wasn't going to look the same.

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Sheesh... Why did you sell your SL? It is about the only option for your requirements. I'm not convinced that the 28/5.6 will deploy its full character on a Sony, the sensor simply is not adapted to Leica wideangles. Nor to other RF lenses, but it probably won't show on your Noctilux, depending on how critical you are.

I would say, swallow your seller's remorese and get another SL.

Jaap Im not even going to try the lenses on the Sony..............they didn't work well on the sony when I had one so there not going to work now unless there has been some new software upgrades

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yeah that's tricky mate, it's very frustrating trying to find the silver bullet that solves everything especially if you have eye troubles.

It's an SL or M10 really. Or put up with the adapted Sony.

The one camera you love and have stuck with this whole time is the S. That seems like a good indication you should just focus your attention on that and maybe consider the Q for a small AF summerphone replacement.

Paul

Does the contact give you AF? is it going to be significantly better/different than say my 70mm Summerlux? ..................If so then I might just get one and give it a go as you are right I just love the files of the s007 and the lenses

Have you tried the Hasselblad X1D? It seems like something that could work for you combining the image quality of the S and the small size of the M and autofocus so you don't have to worry about eye sight.

You could probably just do a straight swap too with what you have.

Yes mate I tried the Demo in Scotland at Ffordes and didn't like it............it was slooooow and for me clumbersome but that's manybe not fare as I was just trying it in the car park with nuk and she was cold wet and nipping my head so I dint have a really good play with it

Neil

Mate,

i tried the M9 years ago.Too difficult for my bad eyesight. Gave up on it. Now got the M10. Much easier to focus. 

Also I tried contact lenses when taking photos. Much better too.

Now even bought an M9P as backup camera. I have the Noctilux, 135mm Apo as well. Both are the hardest to focus lenses i heard but no problems with my new glasses or contact lenses

The SL doesn't do anything for me.

Good Luck

Paul

Does the contact give you AF? is it going to be significantly better/different than say my 70mm Summerlux? ..................If so then I might just get one and give it a go as you are right I just love the files of the s007 and the lenses

Yes mate I tried the Demo in Scotland at Ffordes and didn't like it............it was slooooow and for me clumbersome but that's manybe not fare as I was just trying it in the car park with nuk and she was cold wet and nipping my head so I dint have a really good play with it

Neil

Cool. I think it makes sense to focus on the S, that is what you've stayed with this whole time. Just hang onto the Noctilux for now.

The Contax adapter gives full AF and Auto aperture. The 80mm isn't better than the Leica 70 but it is the closet thing to a Noctilux in its wide open characteristics, swirly backgrounds etc. and has the lowest available depth of field with AF in medium format. It does looks quite Noctiluxy even on the cropped Medium Format sensors.

Hasselblad X1 has had updated firmware and is suppose to be much better. They are bringing out an 80mm f2 or faster next year - The rumour is f1.4. So that could be a proper Noctilux alternative. Probably better to wait till next Photokina for that decision.

Kipon just bought out an M Lens adapter for the Hasselblad too. You would have to crop the vignetting out for the Noctilux but that could be a reasonable compromise if it means you can simply everything down to one small system that gives you both worlds.

Edited by Paul J

Neil, the M10 is easier to focus than previous digital Ms but probably not in-your-face easier in the way you'd like.

But, you could use the detachable EVF with the Noctilux and that would be a breeze in most situations. The 28mm Summaron is dead easy to focus, and at f11, which is surprisingly useable on the M10, you can pre-focus at around 1 meter and then use it without focussing at all if you want to.

You should try it out. I think the M10 files are noticeably nicer than the M9 and M240's too, though as always, not everyone agrees. But they're wrong!

• Like 3