XY/CL design vs TL design

rchrd

Why does the shutter speed dial lack numbers? And why two dials? Traditional analog-style controls are so much easier than having to peer into an LCD. Otherwise, great design, something long missing from the Leica line-up.

I read that those dials are push button as well. You can change mode. The design is a combo of traditional and modern. I like it.

• Like 1

Part of the problem with a digital-only display is there are no reference points. It's also a three-step process to set the shutter speed (turn camera on, look at LCD, click dial) as opposed to one step (align shutter speed with marker). I prefer the X series dials. The Fuji X series cameras also have traditional dials.

• Like 1

Part of the problem with a digital-only display is there are no reference points. It's also a three-step process to set the shutter speed (turn camera on, look at LCD, click dial) as opposed to one step (align shutter speed with marker). I prefer the X series dials. The Fuji X series cameras also have traditional dials.

... as does the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've watched a few vids now and to be fair it's more of a mini SL than it first appeared, although not seemingly a good choice for sports/action it looks like a nice street/travel camera.

The multi function dials look like a good idea as everyone will set the camera up to suit their preferences. Given that the L mount lenses don't use aperture rings it makes more sense.

It's a much more interesting proposition than the T line IMHO. Who knows, if I had a spare few grand I might even try one!

Looks pretty awesome to me. In calling it the CL, I might have put one of the dials on the front, which might also be better for index finger access instead of thumb access. But it looks great to me, and I'm very glad of another camera choice from my TL glass. I'll be getting one ASAP.

not much difference..the CL seems more like a Mini M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Your recipes are badly formulated.

1 turn camera on

2 look at LCD while...

3 turn dial

1 look at marker while ...

2 turn dial

3 turn camera on

Recipes? I'm not cooking up anything, and I hope the camera doesn't overheat!  :unsure:

With a traditional shutter speed dial you can see what speed is set whether the camera is turned on or not. So simple!

The CL may be easier to use than a touchscreen interface, though.

not much difference..the CL seems more like a Mini M

Some of these dimensions are misleading, as you can see from what they're actually measuring.

The basic body shape of the CL is smaller side to side and top to bottom than the TL2. Front to back it is the same. 

Add in the lugs, buttons, dials and VF rear protrusion, and the CL is slightly wider and higher.

In the hand, the CL looks and feels smaller than the TL2. I couldn't feel any weight difference.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Recipes? I'm not cooking up anything, and I hope the camera doesn't overheat!  :unsure:

With a traditional shutter speed dial you can see what speed is set whether the camera is turned on or not. So simple!

The CL may be easier to use than a touchscreen interface, though.

You can't take photographs with the camera switched off so knowing the shutter speed doesn't help.

You can accidentally alter the manual shutter speed dial while the camera is off (eg while fishing it out of the oven).

• Like 1

You can't take photographs with the camera switched off so knowing the shutter speed doesn't help.

You can accidentally alter the manual shutter speed dial while the camera is off (eg while fishing it out of the oven).

Well, actually, it does help me! I have the camera pre-set and ready to go. Anyone else do this? (Pre-heat to 180C, fan bake, ISO 160.) I then just turn it on and make a minimal adjustment using the manual setting, usually the aperture. I seldom use auto only.  I don't think I have ever accidentally altered the shutter speed dial. Otherwise, results would definitely be overcooked or underdone!

Well, actually, it does help me! I have the camera pre-set and ready to go. Anyone else do this? (Pre-heat to 180C, fan bake, ISO 160.) I then just turn it on and make a minimal adjustment using the manual setting, usually the aperture. I seldom use auto only.  I don't think I have ever accidentally altered the shutter speed dial. Otherwise, results would definitely be overcooked or underdone!

David

Canon and Nikon abandoned specific dials for Aperture and Shutter speed years ago (because it tied the user down unnecessarily). Fuji have stepped right back again, and you, and others obviously like it.

Leica have taken it to it's logical conclusion (first with the SL, and then with this camera). As there are no literal dials and buttons they can all be configured just as you like them . . and they can also be saved into a series of user presets - I have 5 principle ones on the SL (and the CL): daytime, nighttime, event, tracking, monochrome - each one has different ISO values and parameters, different mode (PASM) different AF setting and different drive mode setting. it's great - although of course it may be of absolutely no interest to lots of users.

The major part of the testing for the CL was done on a 3 week walking tour in Crete - I had the CL over one shoulder and a Fuji X-T2 over the other, because I needed to get a handle on the pros and cons. Actually, I really liked the way that everything on the Fuji was nailed to dials and buttons, what I didn't like was the huge menus with lots of silly options which somebody had asked for (so they put it in). 

But in the final analysis I preferred the modern and reduced option set for the CL, and the fact that I could have 6 user sets which allowed me to set EVERYTHING with two buttons. 

it takes all types!

all the best

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 4

Almost every M user would disagree with you. As do I.

Gordon

I think that's right - the digital M cameras have retained this direct dial approach, with minimal menu options.  So, if you like to look down and see what the settings are, the M10 is the perfect camera - everything visible.

The SL, TL2 and CL are completely different cameras, with completely different approaches.  For them to have the same direct dial approach would not be a good thing, in my view - it would clutter the camera in a way which would defeat the simplicity of their design.  Unlike Jono, I don't use profiles on my SL and TL2.  Like you, before I head off with my camera, I check the settings for the day, and alls good - typically I set the ISO for the day and roughly set aperture and shutter for what I'm likely to need, and as I use exposure preview I then fine tune each image either with the aperture or the shutter as required for the image.

Whether this is with an SL, TL2 or M, actually the process is pretty much the same - not much different to you, except that I turn on the camera first.  I do this with he M digitals as well, as I don't have an M10 (I need the camera turned on to check ISO).

Cheers

John