Best M Lens for Aps-c (TL2) /CL

That's right. I love also the AF but....

I'm "old" leica M user (leica M6).

I have tried the new digital M9 and 240. But my age 51 years, I'm have a bit hard by focusing.

Now I have bought a TL2 and a TL 35mm summilux and love that combination.

BUT I have M optics (24 2.8/35 2.0/90 2.0 NOT APO old kendes) and I really like the quality and the feeling of using them manuel.

I have thought of M 28mm (42) and 50mm (75) + the 35mm (50) TL and the new 18mm. Or the wide-angle zoom.

The Zeiss 50mm planar was quite easy to focus and gave me stellar results. 

I have had a more difficult time with the Leica noctilux and the Leica R80 1.4 wide open, though MF is achievable.

I have also enjoyed using the Voigtlander 15mm v3.

And, not on point to your question because of the autofocus, but I have really, really enjoyed using the TL 60mm 2.8 macro.

Just some thoughts.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

What do you think is the best M lens for aps-c (TL2)?

Has anyone tried 28mm f.2.0 / 2.8? = 42mm?

I have only M lenses for my T, including the 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH.  I do like that lens for its compact size, and in certain circumstances, I like its rendering, which to my eye is driven by detail and contrast. But it is among my least favorite lenses at the moment.  For a wide angle, I much prefer and tend to shoot more often the 21mm SEM.  This lens is absolutely outstanding on the T and given the live view/EVF, is arguably easier to work with than on the M. What I would consider "the best" M lens for the T is, of course, circumstance-driven and entirely subjective, but if you are looking at wide angle modern lenses, the 21 SEM will not disappoint.  From the looks of your lens line-up, one of Leica's many terrific 50mm M lenses might also be a contender, but some (myself included) find it a less intuitive focus length on the T.

• Like 1

Thank you Rob.

Half a year ago, I would not consider an aps-c censor or leica T.

But after buying oneTL2 and used it for 2-3 months, I'm pretty much sold.

Taking my age into consideration, I love M optics.

I use the leica privately and for fun.

I have worked as a photo journalist for 30 years in Denmark and use the best quality.

Works with Nikon D5 on most work. But the Leica TL2 and the TL summilux 35mm is fantastisk.

But I also think that TL optics do not hold the price as my M optics.

And that M optics mean that I Can go to FF then that's the option there too.

But 60mm macro realy looks like a good optic. Do you think AF is slow as it is written - or is it ok?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Rob.

Half a year ago, I would not consider an aps-c censor or leica T.

But after buying oneTL2 and used it for 2-3 months, I'm pretty much sold.

Taking my age into consideration, I love M optics.

I use the leica privately and for fun.

I have worked as a photo journalist for 30 years in Denmark and use the best quality.

Works with Nikon D5 on most work. But the Leica TL2 and the TL summilux 35mm is fantastisk.

But I also think that TL optics do not hold the price as my M optics.

And that M optics mean that I Can go to FF then that's the option there too.

But 60mm macro realy looks like a good optic. Do you think AF is slow as it is written - or is it ok?

It is "slow-er" and can sometimes be frustrating, but, generally in good lighting it is fine. In low lighting it is more likely to struggle. The optics on it, however, are as good as the 35 1.4 TL's, and I do like the AF for macro (though MF is sometimes necessary). I think it is a lens that is very much "under the radar", perhaps because of the usage of 90mm,  but I am thrilled with it. Some examples of the 60 TL follow. (I have also used it with my SL601 and I think it focuses faster, but I may just be imagining this!)

I have used the TL lenses on the SL and I am quite content as well with the optics. Yes, 10.3 mp - which for me is sufficient as a hobbyist - but I'd suspect Leica will increase the MPs on future full frame SLs and so the TL optics will get another boost. 

You may be right as far as holding price - TL vs. M - but TL lenses are substantially less expensive to begin with.  (I usually will try to find the lenses on the pre-owned market so that any ultimate loss is minimized). Frankly, for me anyhow, until the EVF improves on the TL I prefer to use it in AF mode.  

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

60 TL 2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3