Screw mount adapter for M9

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends, I have a recently cleaned screw mount 5cm 1:2 Summitar that I would like to use on my M9. I understand that there are adapters that can mate the two. I have read several threads and have reviewed various options.But it still remains a bit of a mystery which original or third party device would pair the two and preserve the frame lines.in the rangefinder. Appreciate the help, as well as any examples of images taken with the this combination.

David

Edited by Deliberate1

Even though it says no longer available this is what I recommend. They can be found if you dig a little or watch EBay. The quality is good.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/191966-REG/Voigtlander_45BD209A_M_Bayonet_Adapter_Ring_for.html

Fotodiox and Jinfinance are two other companies that make them. Jinfinance has adapters with 6 bit coding pits as well.

• Like 1

The answer is: buy an adapter made for 50mm (or 75mm) lenses. Those will bring up the correct framelines to be used with 50mm and 75mm lenses. I have yet to see an adapter which had not visibly and clearly written on it the focal length it was to be used with.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gentlemen, very helpful resources. Out of curiosity, is there a reverse of the above, that is M to ltm adapter which would permit the use of m mount on my iiic. Obliged.

David

No such thing. Sorry. To explain - the screw-to-m adapter adds 1mm to the lens mount. An m-mount has no reduction. (At one time some lenses could be had in either mount.)

Be sure to choose the Type 3 Rayqual adapter that fits your infinity lock, if it is still on the lens.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

No such thing. Sorry. To explain - the screw-to-m adapter adds 1mm to the lens mount. An m-mount has no reduction. (At one time some lenses could be had in either mount.)

Be sure to choose the Type 3 Rayqual adapter that fits your infinity lock, if it is still on the lens.

Cheers, mate. As you say, CamerQuest advises:

NEW Type III VERSION!

This new version adapter will take screw mount lenses WITH infinity locks as well as lenses without infinity locks!

(previous versions would not take infinity lock lenses).

Would you happen to know if the Voightlander adapter is compatible with the infinity lock, which my 50 Summitar has. I have a bead on one of those. Failing that I would go with the Rayqual. Shame that M to LTM is not possible, and I am obliged for the explanation. I would love to see how the 50 Lux would render on film. I suppose I could just get one of them new fangled M3's....

D

No reverse M to LTM. For LTM I use Leitz made or Fotodiox on Amazon. Leitz are most expensive to get, Fotodiox are three time less expensive and works as good as Leitz made, but not so fancy.

I have no idea what is the Cosina made problem is. Canon 50 1.8 with infinity lock was mounting fine on Fotodiox.... 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

Cheers, mate. As you say, CamerQuest advises:

NEW Type III VERSION!

This new version adapter will take screw mount lenses WITH infinity locks as well as lenses without infinity locks!

(previous versions would not take infinity lock lenses).

Would you happen to know if the Voightlander adapter is compatible with the infinity lock, which my 50 Summitar has. I have a bead on one of those. Failing that I would go with the Rayqual. Shame that M to LTM is not possible, and I am obliged for the explanation. I would love to see how the 50 Lux would render on film. I suppose I could just get one of them new fangled M3's....

D

Voigtlander has both compatible and non compatible with the infinity lock.

• Like 1

Here is one that I have ordered. I compared the configuration to the images of the Rayqual and it looks like their I and III versions. The II has three symmetrical cutouts at 2, 6 and 10, rather than one small and one large with the I and III. I can pull the plug if my assessment is wrong about the compatibility.

Perhaps it is too much to ask that an LTM can be coded?

D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOIGTLANDER-50-75-Leica-39mm-Screw-Mount-Lens-ADAPTER-to-Leica-M-Mount-Bodies/152738152788?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Thanks. Coding not really a big deal for me. I have a 35mm Zeiss and usually remember to go into the menu to manually change the designation.

Usually.

D

Good luck, Deliberate1!

There were a few versions of the Summitar. I waited years to find the one I finally bought - post war, round aperture, coated. If you can post some results it would be great.

Pico, I hoe that you are enjoying that little gem.My Summitar came attached  to a post war IIIc that my grandfather bought  for my beloved uncle in the late 40's-early 50's, I would guess. It came into my hands on his passing four years ago. Frankly, it sat on my shelf while I shot my M9 and S 006. But last month, I sent the III to Youxin Ye who did a wonderful job restoring it to perfect working order. And he cleaned and adjusted the Summitar as well. Last weekend, I took it for an inaugural shoot loaded with a roll of Ilford XP-2. In my back pack was an S 006 body, four primes and this beautiful little mechanical gem. Camera bookends, seventy years apart. On Sunday I went to an art talk and took the III. After taking incident readings with a Sekonic 408, I snapped away with nary a glance from the crowd. The "snick" from the shutter curtain was invisible to the ears.What a wonderful, stealthy camera. It will be a joy to use as will the Summitar on the M9. I certainly will post results....if I ever get the damn thing back from Wetzlar which is supposed to be replacing  the sensor. If I may ask, what are you shooting for a  35mm on your Barnack? 

Cheers

David