Come on Leica give us a firmware !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was on vacation last month (Pacific Northwest) and because of the rain I ended up leaving the Q in my room. What good is a camera that you are afraid of using in the rain?

I always have a hotel provided shower cap with me. I’m careful in the rain, but I’ve never had a problem. I too wish the Q was more weather proof, but with modest caution it’s been usable for me as is.

I always have a hotel provided shower cap with me. I’m careful in the rain, but I’ve never had a problem. I too wish the Q was more weather proof, but with modest caution it’s been usable for me as is.

i am especially sensitive in that i had to send my C to Leica for sensor cleaning (condensation on the sensor because i went from an airconditioned room to a hot balcony in the tropics) and that took close to 5 months to get back

curiosity: how do you frame/focus/etc with a shower cap on the camera?  even if it an opaque cap you cannot see everything.  I ended up using my new iPhone ('best camera is the one you have with you') which *is* waterproof .

Edited by prk60091

i am especially sensitive in that i had to send my C to Leica for sensor cleaning (condensation on the sensor because i went from an airconditioned room to a hot balcony in the tropics) and that took close to 5 months to get back

curiosity: how do you frame/focus/etc with a shower cap on the camera?  even if it an opaque cap you cannot see everything.  I ended up using my new iPhone ('best camera is the one you have with you') which *is* waterproof .

I usually remove the shower cap or if it's actually raining at that moment slide it up so I can see the lcd. It's clearly not a perfect solution, but unless I'm in a downpour, it has worked for me. Taking along a small umbrella is another way to keep it pretty dry. I also have been frustrated with condensation going from cold to hot and humid. I usually keep the camera in a plastic bag until it adjusts to the new temperature. That has worked well for me. No doubt that better weather proofing would be highly desirable and frankly expected on such an expensive camera. 

I keep the microphone opening covered with gaffers tape.

Edited by Infiniumguy

Oh and another thing...this one is a little unforgivable and needs a firmware fix.

When one moves the focus point in live-view you can double tap on the screen to quickly bring the focus point back to center. Great. But when you're using the EVF, there is no quick way to bring the focus point quickly back to center! (If I'm wrong, please let me know!)

Surely one of the buttons could be configured to snap it back to center, perhaps the delete button or something, I don't find that I need the delete button default which is to change the focus reticle size on the fly, I could surely live without this as a quick function.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With Leica Q in silver I think we will not see any time soon Q2 and for that reason Leica should and must update the firmware of Q to make it a product worth considering to buy in 2017 as looking at other brands most of them offer a compact travel camera with more features and spec to Leica Q

The Q would face real competition if a quality maker sold a Full Frame with a 28mm that would rival the Summilux.  No one does.

But we do need a firmware update.  Or Leica needs to build a new CL with full frame.  Or a Q that takes M & R lenses...

• 2 weeks later...

The Q would face real competition if a quality maker sold a Full Frame with a 28mm that would rival the Summilux.  No one does.

But we do need a firmware update.  Or Leica needs to build a new CL with full frame.  Or a Q that takes M & R lenses...

Don't you think that a Q accepting M lenses is no more a Q but a M. Leica will not do such a foolish thing. 

Don't you think that a Q accepting M lenses is no more a Q but a M. Leica will not do such a foolish thing. 

There are two camps of Leica users: those who love rangefinders and those who love EVFs.

The M will always be the Rangefinder, the Q would be the EVF camera small like the M but with Q interface.

Imagine new demand for M lenses... those of us usually focussing manually while enjoying the real time focus and exposure verification.

Foolish like a fox?

Is the SL not the 'interchangeable Q'? 

Not exactly the same form factor, but it is a full-frame mirrorless with EVF. Do you think Leica has another full-frame interchangeable lens body in the works? 

From what I have read (on the internet, so it has to be true) is that Leica sees the M line and SL line as diverging designs, and no desire to overlap the two. There are also new SL lenses in the works. I don't expect an M or Q design with interchangeable lenses and an EVF. (I'd be happy to be wrong of course)

There are two camps of Leica users: those who love rangefinders and those who love EVFs.

The M will always be the Rangefinder, the Q would be the EVF camera small like the M but with Q interface.

Imagine new demand for M lenses... those of us usually focussing manually while enjoying the real time focus and exposure verification.

Foolish like a fox?