SL Update.

mr_aznar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought I'd share some updates with you all. 

Was currently at a camera expo here in Toronto. While speaking to a Leica rep here about specific settings for my SL (because I was still adjusting to it), he invited me to this expo and stated that there's rep from US that will teach me exactly how to use it for specific usage.  Surely enough, this rep named John was able to teach me how to maximize the SL using 50mm lux, and man..this tool is snappy! I am so happy about it.

Anyways, another update is that he stated that there will be no SL 2 being made and doesnt see it happening for the next 2 yrs.  Another good news is that they are building another update for the body and the 50mm lux and will see it between now and spring 18!  Looking forward to this update!

• Like 1

I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

What speeds up use of the SL and 50 lux? I’m assuming you’re referring to an M lens and not the 50SL but I’m curious either way.

“There will be no SL 2” and “doesn’t see it happening for the next 2 years” are not the same.

What do you mean by “update for the body and the 50mm lux”? Are you referring to a firmware update?

I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

What speeds up use of the SL and 50 lux? I’m assuming you’re referring to an M lens and not the 50SL but I’m curious either way.

“There will be no SL 2” and “doesn’t see it happening for the next 2 years” are not the same.

What do you mean by “update for the body and the 50mm lux”? Are you referring to a firmware update?

i was adjusting to the use of 50mm 1.4 sl lux and the sl body..meaning that i didnt find it snappy to begin with, but with the right settings i was able to use it to the way im used to using it.

"there will be no sl 2 and doesnt see it happening for next 2 yrs are not the same--are you critiquing how it was written or you really dont get what Im trying to say??  what i was saying here is that many people are expecting for an sl 2 body to come out, but the leica rep says it wont happen until 2 yrs from now. does that make sense? i find most people here are just to critique and not really asking questions( which i hate about this forum), so apologies if i have misguided you.

what i mean by update is the firmware update on the body and the lens (50mm lux). what other updates are there if im referring to updates? if i do have to be specific like  im in school, then let me know!

• Like 1

i was adjusting to the use of 50mm 1.4 sl lux and the sl body..meaning that i didnt find it snappy to begin with, but with the right settings i was able to use it to the way im used to using it.

"there will be no sl 2 and doesnt see it happening for next 2 yrs are not the same--are you critiquing how it was written or you really dont get what Im trying to say??  what i was saying here is that many people are expecting for an sl 2 body to come out, but the leica rep says it wont happen until 2 yrs from now. does that make sense? i find most people here are just to critique and not really asking questions( which i hate about this forum), so apologies if i have misguided you.

what i mean by update is the firmware update on the body and the lens (50mm lux). what other updates are there if im referring to updates? if i do have to be specific like  im in school, then let me know!

Firmware updates are uncommon such a long time after a camera's release, but if the product cycle has another two years to run, then it makes sense and will be most welcome. I wonder what Leica have in mind.

"there will be no sl 2 and doesnt see it happening for next 2 yrs are not the same--are you critiquing how it was written or you really dont get what Im trying to say?? what i was saying here is that many people are expecting for an sl 2 body to come out, but the leica rep says it wont happen until 2 yrs from now. does that make sense? i find most people here are just to critique and not really asking questions( which i hate about this forum), so apologies if i have misguided you.

what i mean by update is the firmware update on the body and the lens (50mm lux). what other updates are there if im referring to updates? if i do have to be specific like im in school, then let me know!

The words were contradictory (no update would be end of life, 2 years would be pretty standard product cycle). I’m not critiquing you, simply asking for clarification, which you’ve now provided.

An update could mean a physical update to the lens. Many are asking for the 50SL to be sped up somehow and a firmware update likely won’t do much as the lens elements are large and heavy and DOF can be very small, requiring higher levels of precision and accuracy. You’ve now explained they were referring to a firmware update.

What information did the Leica rep provide that sped up use of the 50SL? I’ve found it slower than the zooms but don’t have any issue with it so far for my use.

• Like 1

The words were contradictory (no update would be end of life, 2 years would be pretty standard product cycle). I’m not critiquing you, simply asking for clarification, which you’ve now provided.

An update could mean a physical update to the lens. Many are asking for the 50SL to be sped up somehow and a firmware update likely won’t do much as the lens elements are large and heavy and DOF can be very small, requiring higher levels of precision and accuracy. You’ve now explained they were referring to a firmware update.

What information did the Leica rep provide that sped up use of the 50SL? I’ve found it slower than the zooms but don’t have any issue with it so far for my use.

Ya I was a bit confusing wasn't I. Sorry about this, and for misinterpreting you!

I thought the same, being that an update could mean physical update, as a firmware will not change this. However, he did mention that they have firmware update for the lens and body in the near future.  Could be bustin my balls, but updates are almost always welcomed!

I've previously posted on here that I was having a hard time catching a person walking by (for ex. I shoot campaign shots for clothing brand/store, and I always like to capture a person moving from side to side or coming at me), but when I got the SL, it was hard for me to catch, and so the gesture/story is gone in seconds.  This was bothering me, and noted that the 24-90mm was apparently ideal for this.  Now given that I have the 50mm lux (which I absolutely love), it wasn't easy to shoot this way, as it was really not meant for fast moving objects.  Ive come from sony a7rii so anything comes at me, I catch-but it just makes you a shitty photographer.

John Kreidler (Manager of Professional Imaging at Leica-and teaches to use Leica SL) suggested the following settings:

Focus Mode: Manual

AE/AF Lock Button:  Here, under Manual Mode: set it to AFc + AE L

AF Mode: Dynamic Tracking

Drive Mode: Continous low or medium speed.

So since I've set it this way, I can't miss even on wide open at 1.4. 

Let me know your thoughts, unless you've already been familiar with these settings.

• Like 3

I’m really interested in the specific settings you are referring to that improve usage of the SL 50. Care to share?

John Kreidler (Manager of Professional Imaging at Leica-and teaches to use Leica SL) suggested the following settings:

Focus Mode: Manual

AE/AF Lock Button:  Here, under Manual Mode: set it to AFc + AE L

AF Mode: Dynamic Tracking

Drive Mode: Continous low or medium speed.

Hope this helps!

Thought I'd share some updates with you all. 

Was currently at a camera expo here in Toronto. While speaking to a Leica rep here about specific settings for my SL (because I was still adjusting to it), he invited me to this expo and stated that there's rep from US that will teach me exactly how to use it for specific usage.  Surely enough, this rep named John was able to teach me how to maximize the SL using 50mm lux, and man..this tool is snappy! I am so happy about it.

Anyways, another update is that he stated that there will be no SL 2 being made and doesnt see it happening for the next 2 yrs.  Another good news is that they are building another update for the body and the 50mm lux and will see it between now and spring 18!  Looking forward to this update!

In this electronic age, it is a virtual impossibility to assume there will be no SL 2. I would guess even 2 years is a stretch. Besides, how does this "John" know any more than the rest of the public? I doubt working for Leica in a retail store entitles them to receive confidential data regarding product development. I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt.

In this electronic age, it is a virtual impossibility to assume there will be no SL 2. I would guess even 2 years is a stretch. Besides, how does this "John" know any more than the rest of the public? I doubt working for Leica in a retail store entitles them to receive confidential data regarding product development. I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt.

There will certainly be SL2, and more replacements to come in time. Else Leica will close shop. However Leica being Leica, 4 yrs for a replacement model is normal. It is the time frame between the M240 to M10 replacement.

• Like 1

what i was saying here is that many people are expecting for an sl 2 body to come out, but the leica rep says it wont happen until 2 yrs from now. does that make sense? 

Makes all the sense in the world to me although there is a valid case to be made for a second higher resolution version of the SL.  

That being said, from a commercial point of view it makes little sense IMO to launch the SL2 as long as a more complete lens line-up is not in place. 

• Like 3

Makes all the sense in the world to me although there is a valid case to be made for a second higher resolution version of the SL.  

That being said, from a commercial point of view it makes little sense IMO to launch the SL2 as long as a more complete lens line-up is not in place. 

Agreed. Also Leica's release schedule has been pretty high. M10, TL2 and Clooney all in 2017. SL lenses early next year. Possibly a new S to come as well.

Gordon

• Like 1

I take everything with a pinch of salt.  I dont think I think I said that there will be no SL2.  I dont think 2 yrs is a stretch. 4yrs is about the avg timeframe between versions for Leica. I was just simply sharing what was told, as I would want to know these things.  If you weren't interested in the info provided, sometimes it's also good to just not say anything.  Unless your personality speaks in a sense that it just want to say something for the sake of saying something..dont you think? thx for your comment though.

There will certainly be SL2, and more replacements to come in time. Else Leica will close shop. However Leica being Leica, 4 yrs for a replacement model is normal. It is the time frame between the M240 to M10 replacement.

i also think there will be an sl2.  though i didnt say there wouldnt be. 4yrs for a replacement is indeed normal...so yea about 2yrs from now. doubt leica could ever close down. theyre pioneers.