Elmar 50mm Supplementary close up lens ELPRO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the first years of the Leica camera, many other accessories were a requirement for the success  of the new format.  Film handling, enlargement, printing were no doubt a high priority.  In addition, it seems that there was public demand for other accessories that would expand the Leica capability.  These include, stereo, panorama views, exposures under 1/20th second and close up photography.  The Compur camera gave slower speeds, and the supplemental close up lenses expanded the near focus range.  The ELPRO was listed in the May 1927 catalog (my earliest finding), along with the ELPIK and ELPET. These 3 early lenses were numbered 1,2 and 3 to denote the range covered. Here is a photo of the ELPRO's only.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Again, the early boxes were "crocodile" paper covered. Note that one is marked Vorsatzlinsen 1  ELPRO and the others are marked Vorsatzlinsen 1   "*". This is a relevant difference.  Note the pink ATTENTION sheet that was included in early literature.  A transition occurred at camera 9500, and Close up lenses for cameras after that serial required the the lens marked 1*, 2* or 3*.  So, the Elmar close up lenses without the  star were very early.  As far as I know the change was solely the pitch of the screw-in thread.  The early thread was very fine, while the post 9500 thread was more coarse. I have tried to photograph it here, it is hard to see.  But the fine thread lens requires 4 revolutions to stop and the coarse thread lens requires only 2.5 turns.  They do not interchange, thus the warning notices.

The first photo also shows the May 1927 catalog (Green) that lists these lenses. Also shown is the VMCOO, an adapter for these lenses when used on the later Summar lens.  There are small variations in the lenses and the adapters.  To make things a little more confusing, I think Leitz dropped the star notation at a late date, perhaps after the war.  This photo is a late VMCOO with Gmbh (~1952+) notation and an unmarked adapter with modern knurling (Leitz?).

I will also add posts of the ELPIK and ELPET separately due to data limitations. As always, comments and corrections welcome.

PS:  The fine or coarse pitch thread on the inside of the Elmar 50 lens may be a good way to check if your under serial 9500 camera with a factory upgrade to an interchangeable lens camera still has the original,now also converted lens. It is my thought that even when a lens was upgraded to 7 O'clock and interchangeability that the lens cartridge with the unnumbered rim was not upgraded and thus would still have the fine pitch thread.  I have a couple of early cameras where this is the case.

• Like 7

Thanks Alan, particularly for the piece about the coarse pitch which I was trying to recall in another thread here recently. This is how you can use the close up lenses. Leica I Model C with BEVOR close up stand and Elpro, Elpik and Elpet (on camera lens) lenses.

William

Here are the ELPIK or number 2 close up lenses for the ELMAR. Again, the early fine thread lenses are for cameras under serial 9500 and those with the star for later lenses.  The "star" was on the early white paper boxes but not on the later  brown or red.  In the very center is what I believe to be the very latest ELPIK that came in a very small box.

And then the ELPET's or the number 3 close up lens for the ELMAR.

• Like 4

also my modest contribution

• Like 3