New Leica XY/CL

rosuna

Full frame or not is not a quality parameter for me. I would prefer a superior APS-C over a so-so full-frame. It is the result that counts. If the previous X cameras are anything to go by, sensor size will not be an issue.

• Like 1

Not that small a camera though. Same length as M bodies more or less (14cm).

Same length as a Barnack Leica: 13cm - and perhaps something, differing how you measure. That is also the length of the X.

When I first saw the leaked photo, my reaction was: they missed the design of the Leica II - a larger „hump“ on the top could have underlined the similarity. Though that would have been without any function as it would never have been big enough for the larger viewfinder.

What would be the difference between a TL3 with viewfinder and an XY with the same mount and same sensor? Makes little sense and I don’t see how come they could appeal to different market segments. Both pricing in the high $2000 or even more I guess.

I see good reasons for mirrorless cameras with built-in EVF but why such a large size for a mere APS-C body? 14 and 13cm are not the same length. All my M & R full frame Leicas are 14cm more or less. X1 & X2 are closer to 12cm and my Fuji X-E2 is 13cm. Desire to copy bulkier Fuji X-Pros? The latters have the excuse of an hybrid EVF at least...

• 2 weeks later...

if it has the same 4MP EVF as the SL then it should do very well and if it's priced aggressively it could upset the mirrorless market although historically I think that's unlikely.  Would one interest me?  Probably not because it would find difficulty getting out of the house ahead of the M10, the SL, and the C, which all have their particular purposes and would, I assume, cover what the XY has to offer.

I'm glad to see Leica continuing to develop and innovate.

Pete.

Actually, that people who like the TL dislike the XY and vica versa shows that Leica got it just right. They want to sell both lines and not have one eat into the other.

I'm not sure about that. The general impression I've had is that the T cameras didn't sell as well as hoped for, so maybe that's why Leica decided to adopt a more traditional look for the new camera.

I personally would have preferred a 'mini SL' design.

I'm not sure about that. The general impression I've had is that the T cameras didn't sell as well as hoped for, so maybe that's why Leica decided to adopt a more traditional look for the new camera.

I personally would have preferred a 'mini SL' design.

i ultimately chose the q over the t because the t was too d@mn heavy that solid brick of aluminum weighs a lot and carrying it around all day is tiring 

i ultimately chose the q over the t because the t was too d@mn heavy that solid brick of aluminum weighs a lot and carrying it around all day is tiring

Well, the CL is heavier than the TL2! Add on visoflex to the TL2, might be a tad heavier. Real question is how they compare in comfort on the grip.