Summilux 35 vs Summicron 35

BJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some while ago, I created this little thread here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/273328-summilux-28-vs-summicron-28/page-1.

Because of this thread, or well, mainly because of all of you guys, I decided to go with the SL28, and I am still very happy with my decision. So, thanks for help!

28 and 50, this should be all you need, they said. Well, maybe that is true, but a lot of people are engaging me to try out a 35mm lens on my Leica. The argument I hear the most is that it is like THE lens for a Leica. Of course, there also exist those people, how see the nifty-fifty as the real mojo for the M series.

I know that it is not common sense to look forward to buy a 35mm lens, when you are already owning a 28mm and a 50mm. What I dislike the most is to use a digital viewfinder on my current Leica M10 or any additional attachable viewfinders. Mainly because I switched to Leica not only because of the red dot, but because of the handling, the manual focus, and the rangefinder principle / optical viewfinder. I also do not want to use a 75 or 90mm lens, right now. For me, 50mm and cropping is enough. So my current gear is like as final as it should be for Leica M. But, for whatever reason, I am currently thinking about acquiring a 35mm lens. 

Whether I am finally deciding to buy a 35mm lens in 2018 or not to, I need some help:

During my short research, I did not found a reliable comparison of the subject separation and rendering, wide-open, regarding both lenses. I mean, is it really a thing? Talking about low-light, I guess I won't need 1.4. I also read that the bokeh and overall rendering of the most recent Summicron 35 is wonderful.

Of course, I am mainly looking for such a subject separation example at nearly minimum focus distance.

I am very thankful for every comment on that post.

Cheers!

Ben.

• Like 1

I've owned every version of the 35mm Summicron M Leica has made. The bokeh of the current version wide open is the best IMO. But the only way you will know for sure is to do what I did: Test them on a subject you routinely shoot wide open.

Edited by a911s
  • Like 1

Rent, borrow or demo and decide after shooting and processing with your own workflow. Surveys never helped me make good pics or prints.

I started with a 35 Summicron thirty five years ago, adding a 50 and 28 Summicron later. Today I have the same focal lengths, except the 50 is now a Summilux. For me, the M is all about the RF.

But they wouldn't sell a bunch of other stuff if needs, tastes and preferences were alike.

Jeff

I would not use a Summilux 35 at f/1.4 for subject separation. Go f/2 or even f/2.8 and use distances (you - subject - background) to achieve subject separation. I find the main use for f/1.4 is when you want a portrait with a mysterious, enchanting or some such blur over most of the face.

Other aspects get entangled in your decision. You might find a good price on an older Summilux; it will render differently than an aspherical Summicron.

• Like 1

BJohn    I don't know if you seen the website Street Silhouettes.  But the author has written several good articles with comparisons for the 35 cron, 35 Lux, 28 Lux and several versions of the M 35mm lenses.  You might consider exploring his website to help decide what is best for your genre of photography.  Ultimately, only you can decide if the M lens draws the way you like and meets your needs.  Here is the link to one of several articles on the site with photographs that show differences of the various M 35 lenses.  Try:  www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2017/1/25/28mm-summilux-vs-35mm-summicron  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

Cheers for the info. Street Silhouettes really helped me, but I am still that undecided. I may visit Wetzlar in January/February 2018 and try out both lenses with a proper subject to clarify for myself which lens character I prefer. As I own two lenses which cover a bit of the viewfinder, I also would love to have one lens which does not cover the viewfinder at all.

I had both simultaneously and ultimately kept the Summicron...I rarely used a 35 wide open and the size of the Cron was just right for me - having spent many years with the 35 Summaron. I do understand the appeal to some of having a more prominent lens, which IMHO is more suitable for low-light shooting, but as I often use a monopod for such, was quite happy with my choice. I might mention, though, if you are uncertain about the 35mm focal length given your current 28 & 50, you might pick up a used CV Color Skopar and try it for a few weeks, easy to resell and get your money back if you decide to go forward with a Cron or Lux.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think that we should seriously look into the aspect of DoF. The Lux‘s DoF at f/2 at 3 or at 5m from the subject is MUCH narrower then the DoF with the Cron at the same distances from the subject and wide open. This is something that I just see now. I was just evaluating Cron or Lux (I have already 28 Cron and 50 Lux) and think that that DoF question might be the killer for one of the 2 lenses the Cron or the Lux. I always thought the in the long run the Lux might make more sense but this DoF question changed my mind.

PS: Sorry I think I have mixed up the figures. The DoF of the Lux is narrower than the one of the Cron but not as significantly as I thought when I looked into the Leica lens specs. I have mixed up the clumns. Sorry again

Edited by Alex U.

I own a current 50 cron, last version 28 cron asph and the current 35 mm summilux asph.  

I find that I use the 28 for landscapes, the 50 for portraits.  that said, the 35 lux lives on my m10 most of the time.

The low light capabilities are amazing.  That said, the 50 cron is crazy sharp.  Here's an exposure just took as an example at f2, 1/45, iso 620..heavily cropped 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by richardlipow
  • Like 5

here's the original uncropped

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I found this blog (mentionned in post #5) very usefull:

www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2017/1/25/28mm-summilux-vs-35mm-summicron

Here I read about the DoF of the Lux vs Cron in 35mm. This maybe is the only part that I would question now. Why does he say that?

• Like 1

35 Summicron is a terrific lens. As noted earlier, the 35 Summarit is also stellar, with even less potential fo flare or focus shift, although my Summicrons have suited for many years without problem. A friend prefers his Summilux (latest version) for low light pics of his daughter using the M10.

Bottom line, all are fully capable, for a range of budgets.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

If you don't want VF blockage or need the speed of the summilux then just get the summicron. The differences in character are not as big as their differences in size.

FWIW I don't agree with this comment at all and feel the latest version 35 cron has a more "sterile" rendering. The 35 Lux wide open creates a very distinct look that the cron doesn't exhibit (obvious but factual point). Even stopped down the lux better.

The only advantages of the cron over the lux is size/cost. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your input! I decided to go with the Summicron 35. Just feeling a bit scared, that this tiny little friend may suppress my other two lenses :)

Enjoy your new lens! Even though I prefer the Lux, the 35 cron is amazing, as are all of Leica's lenses really.