Any reason to get M240 if you already have an M10?

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I know many people keep M240 after buying an M10 because you already have it.   Many people also keep an M9 with an M10 because of the CCD and CMOS.

BUT, I have never bought an M240, only M9 and M10.    Is the picture signature or image quality different enough from M10 to justifying buying one to play around since people are basically giving them away. (in Leica's relative currency)

I'm also referring to the M240 Titan which is lighter than the regular one, I'm getting an offer to buy body only of this model from a friend for quite cheap.

Thank you!

:rolleyes: ....in a way I bought the m10 first, then I bought the m240i.

Ordered m10 on 4 April 2017, got it early October 2017.

During the waiting period, sold my m240P, waited for m10 and could not resist an opportunity in June for a m240Ti set for 3 reasons:

1. Lighter (but thicker body).

2. Just love the color of the matching lens.

3. Was then unsure how long the wait for m10 will be.

But physically, I owned the m240P --- M240Ti --- M10.

I think I was very infected by GAS :unsure: 

Thanks be to God for His grace that I get to enjoy both cameras.

Benedict

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M240ti Thicker body means thicker than M10, not thicker than regular 240, right?

Do you find using the same lens give difference image signature ?

:rolleyes: ....in a way I bought the m10 first, then I bought the m240i.

Ordered m10 on 4 April 2017, got it early October 2017.

During the waiting period, sold my m240P, waited for m10 and could not resist an opportunity in June for a m240Ti set for 3 reasons:

1. Lighter (but thicker body).

2. Just love the color of the matching lens.

3. Was then unsure how long the wait for m10 will be.

But physically, I owned the m240P --- M240Ti --- M10.

I think I was very infected by GAS :unsure: 

Thanks be to God for His grace that I get to enjoy both cameras.

Benedict

I personally preferred the IQ on higher ISO (6400-8000) of m10.

Using same lens, the images have more contrast, and details do seem to be more 3D (to my old eyes).

Most important the M10 viewfinder is Much Much easier to focus (to my old eyes).

I fully agree the factors below are irrelevant to me.

Cheers.

ps.  If the m10 came earlier, I would not have bought the m240Ti.

- Video - if you want it.

- Estimated working aperture in EXIF - unless/until Leica fixes that for the M10

- electronic level

I don't need any of those - some like them, however.

Hard to find a reason to get the m240 nowadays

Except for the special edition, like titanium, not to mention less weights

Size wise bigger

Instagram @jakontil

Because it feels better to my hands, as it is thicker, has Video and will save you a not inconsiderable number of Shekels?

Because it feels better to my hands, as it is thicker, has Video and will save you a not inconsiderable number of Shekels?

True size wise is individual preferred indeed

Some still need the video which previously leica stated why to choose m240

Instagram @jakontil

- better battery capacity

- USB-option

- external flash-synchro option

- GPS option (but lacks some improvement)

- Video

- Estimated working aperture in EXIF

- electronic level

- better ISO setting behavior

- no overheating problems

Had planed to buy the M10, but when it was released I realized that the M 240 is the best digital M for me from Leica.
Only advantage of the M10 is the higher ISO possible. But I can live quite comfortable with what the M 240 offers me.
So I would rather buy a second M 240 than a M10.

my 2 ct.

Edited by fotomas
  • Like 2

You don't need ANY Leica... so really if you have the M10, no you don't need an M240 ;)

I don't need ANY, but after M10, opportunity made my "dream come true", M-D (typ 262).

I have kept M240/262 for fun/backup when bought M10.

For another experience in digital photography, M-D fills this and now my goto M.

Well I don't know about having TWO Leica M's but despite its thinness and much better noise performance, the M10 is lacking the spirit level which is a surprisingly useful tool for a landscape photographer like me.

Also, I don't like the fact the auto-ISO range includes the digital ISO 100 which clips highlights, despite the LFI magazine article claiming it "works well". Digital pull processing can't get around the fact that a digital sensor will clip highlights. It's physics.

• Like 1

I'm still shooting with the M-240 and have not gone with the M10.  For my shooting the M10 would be the better choice, but replacing the accessories I use with the M-240 for their  M10 versions really makes the cost too high for me at this point.  There is one advantage to the M240 platform besides the ones already mentioned.  As fotomas alluded to above, the M-240 multi-function grip can be configured to mount and sync with a flash. This frees up the camera hotshoe for the EVF,  Thumbs Up, or other accessory.

- Video - if you want it.

- Estimated working aperture in EXIF - unless/until Leica fixes that for the M10

- electronic level

I don't need any of those - some like them, however.

Add to these, cheap backup body,  superior battery life and the ability to shoot in continuous mode with the flick of a switch rather than having to fumble around in menus to enable and disable it.  Valuable if you're shooting in fluid situations, street. etc. IMO.  

I would easily choose the M10 if it had the spirit level. The less battery life is not a problem for me since I never go near 50% on my M 240.

But I don't have the money to buy an M10 and try to sell my M 240. That is far better spent on travel.

• Like 1