Cleaning the sensor

jimleicam3

I read somewhere that the SL had a cleaning function (i.e. it shakes the sensor) but I'm not sure if this is true. I do know that the SL is no more immune to dust as my M, possibly because it's sensor is less often covered by the shutter. When the M240 needs a clean, I usually do the SL as well.

From the user manual.

“CLEANING THE SENSOR

The camera is equipped with an automatic sensor cleaning function.

Every time the camera is switched on, the sensor unit is subjected to ultrasonic vibrations which removes most of the dust or dirt particles adhering to the sensor cover glass.

If any particles remain in spite of this (depending on their size, they can be identified by dark spots or marks on the recordings) the camera can be sent to Leica Camera AG’s Customer Care department (address: see p. 288) for the sensor to be cleaned at

a cost, i.e. this cleaning is not included in the guarantee.

You can also perform the cleaning yourself, as the shutter is normally open, i.e. exposing the sensor.“

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first thing to do when trying to remove sensor dust is to blow it vigorously with a hand bulb, such as a Giotto Rocket Blower. That will often solve the problem. If it does not, then there are a number of cleaning methods, some dry and some wet. The latter will almost always get even the most stubborn particles.

This is the one real downside of IBIS. Such cameras usually shake the sensor so gently that the dust feels only a pleasurable massage and is not tempted to relocate. On a fixed sensor, the vibration is ultrasonic and actually works effectively to dislodge dust.

M

Edited by mgrayson3

How, by the dust fairies?

excerpt from the SL manual:

The camera is equipped with an automatic sensor cleaning
function.
Every time the camera is switched on, the sensor unit is subjected
to ultrasonic vibrations which removes most of the dust or dirt
particles adhering to the sensor cover glass.

1. Rocket Blower

2. Rocket Blower

3. Arctic Butterfly.

4. Rocket Blower.

5. Gel stick.

6 Rocket Blower.

7. Wet Clean (Visible Dust etc..)

8. Repeat 1 thru 7.

9. Camera holiday to Leica.

Work down the list until the spots are gone and then stop.

Gordon

I will NEVER EVER use a rocket blower on my sensor. I repeat: never.

I happen to live near the bush area in suberbian Sydney. There is a lot of dust in my home floating in the air.

I tried blowing air with the Rocket blower into my SL sensor and it ended up with a total disaster. I pumped a lot of dust into my sensor rather than blowing it out. So much so I had to go to 7. in Gordon’s list as the result. Wet cleaning was the only option after the blowing treatment. So be warned and be careful.

Regarding Arctic Butterfly: I once tried it on the M9. Never again. Some of the fibres ended outside the sensor area, resulting in a 'gentle' smearing of some sort of grease residue over the sensor. It took me many, many wet cleanings to get rid of the residue.

Otherwise I follow the procedure outlined by many: Blowing first (with body facing down), inspection with a sensor loupe, more blowing, and eventually a wet cleaning.

After 2 years of rather active use of the SL (I got the SL in Nov 2015), I think I have wet cleaned the sensor twice. This in contrast to the M9-family of bodies that needed regular wet cleanings.

I happen to live near the bush area in suberbian Sydney. There is a lot of dust in my home floating in the air.

I tried blowing air with the Rocket blower into my SL sensor and it ended up with a total disaster. I pumped a lot of dust into my sensor rather than blowing it out. So much so I had to go to 7. in Gordon’s list as the result. Wet cleaning was the only option after the blowing treatment. So be warned and be careful.

Hence the tip to clean the camera in the bathroom, after running the shower, in dusty circumstances in the FAQ at the top of the M forums. That will take care of most if not all of the dust that is floating around.

Somebody should start a FAQ thread for the SL here.

• Like 1

Well, I live in dusty New Mexico, and I have never had that experience. Perhaps you should store your Rocket Blower in a dust-free plastic bag. That way you will know that any new dust appearing on the sensor did not come from the blower itself, which is widely recommended all over the world as the first step in removing sensor dust.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 2

Well, I live in dusty New Mexico, and I have never had that experience. Perhaps you should store your Rocket Blower in a dust-free plastic bag. That way you will know that any new dust appearing on the sensor did not come from the blower itself, which is widely recommended all over the world as the first step in removing sensor dust.

To blow, the air out you squeeze the blower and it sucks the ambient air first in ... isn’t it how it works? Or have I missed something :-)