Clear/UV Filters on M lenses?

Dr. G

Has anyone mentioned Roger’s testing/experience at Lensrentals?

His big take away was protection for the front element. I use one on all of my leica lenses. At night under lights I will remove it to be sure. I also hardly ever use one with my noctilux .95.

I've used a clear/UV filter on all my lenses for the last 25 years, day or night. I've never experienced any unwanted flare, glare or reflections.

Of course, since I've never shot my lenses naked, I have no idea what difference the filters actually make to the final image. Still, I'm ok with that. It's a trade-off (if any) that I'm happy to make to keep my lenses protected and scratch free.

J :)

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I personally never use filters unless I'm around blowing water (especially salt water) and carry a few identical UV filters to change out in that circumstance when they are dirty/wet.  Have been doing this for 30+ years with no ill effects.

This was my practice, too. Not with multiple filters, though. I generally did not use filters, but instead, I relied on the lens hoods for protection. If around sand, surf, salt water, though, I'd mount Leica filters on my glass for extra protection. 

Nowadays, I have one on my primary lens (35 'cron ASPH) and I have one in the bag for my 90 'cron, but I don't leave it mounted. 

I've never noticed any degradation in my normal process, at all. 

• 4 years later...
On 11/9/2017 at 10:52 AM, Mute-on said:

I've used a clear/UV filter on all my lenses for the last 25 years, day or night. I've never experienced any unwanted flare, glare or reflections.

Of course, since I've never shot my lenses naked, I have no idea what difference the filters actually make to the final image. Still, I'm ok with that. It's a trade-off (if any) that I'm happy to make to keep my lenses protected and scratch free.

J

What lenses do you use? Wide, normal, tele? I use 50mm Summicron brand new with brand new Leica UV filter and I got from time to time white spot on the photo like on these below

14 minutes ago, George Stoichev said:

What lenses do you use? Wide, normal, tele? I use 50mm Summicron brand new with brand new Leica UV filter and I got from time to time white spot on the photo like on these below

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Summicron 50 (even the latest) is notorious for flare.  I have one and have seen what you see, with or without filter.

• Like 1

Flare is a part of photography folks. Great feature if you're interested in dreamy looks. Nice examples with a Summicron v3 here (link). Superb lens indeed, was my first Leica lens in the seventies but dreamy looks were not my cup of tea so i sold the v3 and got a v4 instead. Was an early model with "tiger paw" focus tab then with more contrast than v3 but also less flare indeed. The coating of the lens was blueish then and became brownish with a bit less flare lately. Been my second copy of the v4, a superb German made with concave focus tab i'm still using today. I got also a v5, with built-in hood, that has the same IQ. All this so say that all lenses have not the same character fortunately. If you want a lens with the least possible flare, better choose a Summilux 50, asph or pre-asph. Or a Zeiss lens, Sonnar 50/1.5 or Planar 50/2.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

Central veiling flare can indeed happen with many similar lenses when enough light enters the lens at an angle. I've also seen it on 90mm Elmar where the inside of the lens tube behind the optics was shiny - flare looked very similar. On the 90 was cured by adding a flat-black liner to the lens tube. But I've encountered similar central flare with M version 2. 3. & 5 Summicrons, and R 50 Summicrons as well. (A few times even on the "flare-resistant" 50 mm Summarit 2.5.) They are still some of my favorite lenses - just have to learn the lighting conditions that cause it and avoid them.

The worst flare I've had was with a 50mm Canon 1.4 SLR lens - before multicoating.

Edited by TomB_tx

5 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

This should be covered by the warranty? This means bad coating

No.   Lenses flare, some more than others.  The most flare resistant ones I have used are the new CV 40mm 2.8, and any of the Zeiss ZM lenses.  The Zeiss coatings are very good.  

You can lessen the strength of the flare by not using a filter, but in many circumstances it will still be there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lct said:

Flare is a part of photography folks. Great feature if you're interested in dreamy looks. Nice examples with a Summicron v3 here (link). Superb lens indeed, was my first Leica lens in the seventies but dreamy looks were not my cup of tea so i sold the v3 and got a v4 instead. Was an early model with "tiger paw" focus tab then with more contrast than v3 but also less flare indeed. The coating of the lens was blueish then and became brownish with a bit less flare lately. Been my second copy of the v4, a superb German made with concave focus tab i'm still using today. I got also a v5, with built-in hood, that has the same IQ. All this so say that all lenses have not the same character fortunately. If you want a lens with the least possible flare, better choose a Summilux 50, asph or pre-asph. Or a Zeiss lens, Sonnar 50/1.5 or Planar 50/2.

Having flare when the sun is in front of me or coming from side I can understand and avoid, but as it is seen from the images I have attached the sun was behind me and covered by clouds, despite of this I got white spot in the center which I can’t call it normal, it is unpredictable…

2 minutes ago, George Stoichev said:

Having flare when the sun is in front of me or coming from side I can understand and avoid, but as it is seen from the images I have attached the sun was behind me and covered by clouds, despite of this I got white spot in the center which I can’t call it normal, it is unpredictable…

A large, bright area just outside the frame (such as 'cloudy bright' sky) can produce this central, sort of 'veiling' flare sometimes, with some lenses, so yes, it can be unpredictable. Were you using a hood?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

Looking at the shades of the trees i can't seem to perceive how the sun could be behind you but i may be missing something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

Looking at the shades of the trees i can't seem to perceive how the sun could be behind you but i may be missing something. 

Looks like 'cloudy bright' with quite a high sun. So the sky will be effectively a large diffuse illuminator and could well cause veiling flare if a darkish subject (under the trees) is being taken. The 90/2.8 'thin' Tele-Elmarit I had used to flare in a similar way under such conditions and the lens is well known for doing so.

21 minutes ago, pgk said:

Looks like 'cloudy bright' with quite a high sun. So the sky will be effectively a large diffuse illuminator and could well cause veiling flare if a darkish subject (under the trees) is being taken. The 90/2.8 'thin' Tele-Elmarit I had used to flare in a similar way under such conditions and the lens is well known for doing so.

You're referring to CVS (central veiling flare) i guess. I can't seem to see this in the OP's pics above. At least not in the first one i can reproduce at will. Perhaps in the second one (priests) but i don't see it clearly. I can reproduce CVS as well but less easily.  In my modest experience CVS tends to appear at small apertures mainly so i would avoid smaller apertures than f/11 personally. BTW the Summicron 50/2 apo did suffer from CVS at its launch and Leica fixed the issue in 2015 or thereabout. Not to say that the 50/2 apo is flare free though. Lenses as i like them are not sort of sunshades protecting photogs against light reflections but when i need less flare i take a Summilux 50/1.4 asph or pre-asph or a Sonnar 50/1.5 preferably. FWIW.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

There are distinct shadows, and it does look like the sun is above/behind you.

Before you go any further - and pardon if this sounds like calling IT help where they say 'have you turned it off and on again?' - make sure your lens doesn't have a finger print on the back element (lens mount side) nor on the front on the lens or filter.

Also, it does not hurt your lens to not have a filter on it!  They only are necessary if you are in a dirty environment - windy/dusty/by the beach/raining etc.  So u could try w/o a filter.