uv filter for protection

kb7001

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Big +3 or whatever we’re up to now for the B+W Clear Nano. It makes wiping off rain, etc. super easy. I can use my t-shirt to clean the surface and not worry that I may be grinding grit across my lens. Between the filter and the lens hood, the cap can stay off - find a nice, dark place in your camera bag or drawer at home and leave it there forever.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Big +3 or whatever we’re up to now for the B+W Clear Nano. It makes wiping off rain, etc. super easy. I can use my t-shirt to clean the surface and not worry that I may be grinding grit across my lens. Between the filter and the lens hood, the cap can stay off - find a nice, dark place in your camera bag or drawer at home and leave it there forever.

My hood is warm, cozy, comfortable, safe, new and dry in the original Q box. It thanks me for being so considerate and not exposing it to all manner of stress in the outside elements. It dreams of being displayed at the Louvre since it’s so pristine. :-)

My apologies. I meant lens cap. Not hood.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 2

I added the B+W Clear Nano out of general principals, and likewise for the lens hood, though when fully tightened its rectangle is "off" the camera's rectangle by about 30 degrees, with or without the filter attached.

• Thanks 1

I added the B+W Clear Nano out of general principals, and likewise for the lens hood, though when fully tightened its rectangle is "off" the camera's rectangle by about 30 degrees, with or without the filter attached.

The filter should not make any difference to the seating of the lens hood. When you say 'when fully tightened' do you mean it is showing resistance or with quite a bit of effort comes up to a firm and positive 'stop'. A lot of people when new to the Q are reluctant to force the hood to its correct position. You cannot over tighten it and it should not be off anything like a 30 degree angle - in fact it only goes on one way and that way ends up being correctly aligned. The tried and tested approach by a number of people is to apply a little nose grease to the thread!

• Like 1

The filter should not make any difference to the seating of the lens hood. When you say 'when fully tightened' do you mean it is showing resistance or with quite a bit of effort comes up to a firm and positive 'stop'. A lot of people when new to the Q are reluctant to force the hood to its correct position. You cannot over tighten it and it should not be off anything like a 30 degree angle - in fact it only goes on one way and that way ends up being correctly aligned. The tried and tested approach by a number of people is to apply a little nose grease to the thread!

+1. Perfect advice.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 3:20 PM, hebsan said:

Just got on Amazon and bought the B+W 49mm XS-Pro Clear with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (007M).  Will be taking our new Q to Spain, Portugal and Morocco in a couple of months and don't want to get the lens scratched up.

Does this just screw on directly onto the Q2 lens?

I bought B+W 49mm XS-PRO MRC Nano 010 UV Haze. It's very good filter, very thin, but doesn't look good on Q2 lens (gold inscriptions - does not fit to camera and B+W filter covers original inscriptions on Q2 lens). Then I bought original Leica E49 VAa II Filter and now I'm satisfied. It's very good filter and looks very good on the lens. And I always use a hood.

I know, maybe I'm a bit strange ;) 

I've UV B+W filters on all my Nikon lenses except 14-24 and 300/2.8.

Regards,

I accidentally bought a Leica E 49mm UV/IR-filter 13412 and found out that it is good för M8 (something with the IR part I think).

Can I use that filter as a UV-filter on my Q2 or is there some disadvantages?

Best regards, Hasse in Sweden

54 minutes ago, zorky said:

"Leica lenses are coated,

they don't need a protection filter.."

That was the statement of our tour guide in the Leica factory

But I need additional protection against impact. UV filter save my lenses two times.

• Like 4

So I am using a Leica UV filter for protection of the glass.  I shoot in extreme weather and it just helps me keep the prime lens pristine.  I am OK replacing a $100 filter if needed.  ON the Q no lens options.  I have not seen any degradation due to the filter in image quality. 

• Like 4

On 5/9/2019 at 1:05 AM, jaapv said:

Still advocating the 007 protective filters.

UV filters are not designed as protective filters, but to filter UV, which is not needed in 99% of the cases.

I agree with you, but I had a very good offer for the Leica UV II filter.