Jump to new generation sl

Kamyar

Does leica work on the new sl model?

Leica tend to work on a 3yr+ product cycle so a new version before the end of next year is unlikely.

They do tend to modify models in the year before ...... with 'pro' or special models having something slightly different to keep sales going. It is unlikely this would involve a new sensor, processor or different firmware though. 

The SL is a mature product ..... the only thing it really needs is a much higher resolution/more sensitive sensor with the processing power to run it and possibly in camera stabilisation, otherwise it's just the lack of dedicated lenses that is missing ....  :rolleyes:  

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

I'm satisfied with the Leica SL just as it is. No need for anything, for my uses. I'm sure Leica is working on the next model, and the lenses for it, but I'm not in any need so not in any rush.

I feel the same way and hope that both the SL and the Q will be long-term keepers for me. So I must be prepared for the GAS that inevitably sets in when new models are rolled out, and everyone is chattering and drooling over them.  :) 

Actually, what would please me most would be a TechArt Pro AF adapter for the SL, but it would have to be more user-friendly than the Sony version.

Edited by robgo2

Before the release of a higher resolution sensor S, I seriously doubt Leica will release a higher resolution sensored SL. AF tracking capability wise there are room for improvement to bring the SL closer to the best DSLR AF capability in the market. Plus a successful AF capability on GH5 means a promising next generation SL with AF capability improvement as Leica must be borrowing AF capability enhancement from Panasonic, it’s business partner.

• Like 1

The SL is a mature product ..... the only thing it really needs is a much higher resolution/more sensitive sensor with the processing power to run it and possibly in camera stabilisation, otherwise it's just the lack of dedicated lenses that is missing ....   :rolleyes:

+1.

Edited by helged

I'm satisfied with the Leica SL just as it is. No need for anything, for my uses. I'm sure Leica is working on the next model, and the lenses for it, but I'm not in any need so not in any rush.

I am quite certain all SL buyers/users feel the same, else they would have bought the other camera which offers what they want.

..... the only thing it really needs is a much higher resolution/more sensitive sensor with the processing power to run it and possibly in camera stabilisation, otherwise it's just the lack of dedicated lenses that is missing ....  :rolleyes:  

However, higher resolution and in-camera stabilisation are always welcome....

+1 for in-camera stabilisation....

They got enough things right on the SL that I would expect another 2 years to go by before seeing a serious upgrade.  Maybe they will try out various enhancements at the APS-C scale, like the rumored CL.  After all, the T and the Q worked out some of the kinks before the SL was first shipped.

• Like 1

They got enough things right on the SL that I would expect another 2 years to go by before seeing a serious upgrade.  Maybe they will try out various enhancements at the APS-C scale, like the rumored CL.  After all, the T and the Q worked out some of the kinks before the SL was first shipped.

yup ...... Leica has a habit of testing out and migrating technology from one product to the next rather than dramatic leaps in innovation ........ 

Normally the impressive stuff appears in the S and then trickles down ....... but with the SL I can't really see why Leica would persist with the S as an SLR camera ........ mirrors are an unnecessary mechanical complication and are beginning to look like dinosaurs at the end of an era. Hasselblad and Fuji have near MF(ish) size sensors in bodies the same size as the SL. Quite what Leica are going to do to differentiate the SL and S line in the next iteration and keep them both as credible products is hard to fathom. 

Quite what Leica are going to do to differentiate the SL and S line in the next iteration and keep them both as credible products is hard to fathom. 

Yes, if the S008 has a top-end EVF and no OVF, we are basically left with a relatively modest difference in the sensor size (a factor 1.25). That being said, in many circumstances I find the S-files more workable than the SL-files (at lowish ISO). So some differences can be expected from a 45x30mm vs 36x24mm sensor, other features being more or less equal. But with improved sensor technology, I would think that the effect of the 1.25 factor will diminish over time.

But perhaps the S008 will be equipped with a ~100 mp sensor? And perhaps the SL will be available in two versions, one with a 20-ish mp sensor for very quick shooting and video, another with ~50 mp for more resolution but slower frame rate?

If the S008 comes with an OVF, it will certainly be different from the SL. But how many photographers prefer a state-of-the-art OVF relative to a state-of-the-art EVF?

If there is another S, one continuing distinction could be the form factor. When the SL was released, Leica execs mentioned that they contemplated a smaller S-type body, but decided otherwise. Perhaps in part to distinguish lines over time. And I agree that sensor size and MP could well be other anchor differentiations.

Another issue between the SL and any potential new S would be the lens line. New S lens introductions ceased some time ago, and the SL lens extended roadmap is unknown. S lenses can be adapted to the SL, but not vice versa. The future?

Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, if the S008 has a top-end EVF and no OVF, we are basically left with a relatively modest difference in the sensor size (a factor 1.25). That being said, in many circumstances I find the S-files more workable than the SL-files (at lowish ISO). So some differences can be expected from a 45x30mm vs 36x24mm sensor, other features being more or less equal. But with improved sensor technology, I would think that the effect of the 1.25 factor will diminish over time.

But perhaps the S008 will be equipped with a ~100 mp sensor? And perhaps the SL will be available in two versions, one with a 20-ish mp sensor for very quick shooting and video, another with ~50 mp for more resolution but slower frame rate?

If the S008 comes with an OVF, it will certainly be different from the SL. But how many photographers prefer a state-of-the-art OVF relative to a state-of-the-art EVF?

To handle 70-100mpx on a new S Leica will need a Maestro III processor for it to function at a reasonable speed. The main advantage of the larger sensors is wider dynamic range ... so unless the sensor increase in resolution is matched with that it is pointless.

It would be hard not to use the same processor in an SL ...... in which case there would be enough processing power to keep it very fast and hopefully with enhanced AF ..... even at 40-50mpx. Sensor Dynamic Range continues to improve and even if a new S is better than the current 15 stops the SL will probably only be a couple behind (if the current 13 v 15 differential persists) which would still be remarkable. 

Of course, all this depends on whether Leica consider bumping up sensor resolution substantially is part of their 'philosophy of photography'. 

• Like 1

However, higher resolution and in-camera stabilisation are always welcome....

+1 for in-camera stabilisation....

In my opinion an higher resolution SL will need in-camera stabilisation to be usable hand held with non IS lenses.

Edited by Leicaiste