Current Sensor Replacement Times

Deliberate1

I dealt directly with Leica Germany.They sent UPS to collect from my home and the repair took exactly 3 months and was delivered back via UPS. I received regular emails and was offered a loan camera for the final 2 weeks of my wait (which I refused).

I did that also, but no offer for a loan camera..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I sent mine through the Leica dealer at the beginning of June.

It arrived in Madrid on Tuesday, November 28, and today I received it.
New sensor, rangefinder and all parts adjusted. No change in shutter count.

chema
  • Like 1

1st August taken to Leica Mayfair. 4.5 months, 2 calls, still waiting. 

They (Leica Mayfair) told me that the supply factory only makes smallish numbers of the now very obsolete sensor in batches when there are enough on back orders from Leica in Wetzlar.

Edited by Adrian Lord

Contacted the dealer in Vancouver (wrongly listed in the Leica site list of contacts) that sold me my M9 and he advised me to send the camera directly to Leica for sensor replacement. Thought I'd check with the main North America dealer just to ensure I have the corrosion problem, including a shot taken after multiple attempts at cleaning over a period of weeks, that show the blemishes on the sensor haven't moved. No response from them. If Leica's dealers elsewhere are anything like their North American ones in terms of customer service, they have a major problem.

I assume that to send the camera over to Germany it's just a case of downloading the repair pdf, which hopefully will show the service address, packaging it carefully and kissing it goodbye for half a year. Any advice from members would be much appreciated.

Contacted the dealer in Vancouver (wrongly listed in the Leica site list of contacts) that sold me my M9 and he advised me to send the camera directly to Leica for sensor replacement. 

Unimpressive service from your local Leica dealer. After all, there are many places to buy this gear. I opted for a dealer for most purchases as a conduit to the Leica mother ship in the event of problems. Leica Miami has been very attentive when my M9 needed to go back  - twice. And they took care of my S lens motor repair as well. About two weeks, door to door. And I did not even buy that particular lens from them. The sensor replacement for the M9 has been a more protracted experience. The camera went back about four months ago. But Leica Miami advised me that they are getting cameras back that were sent in July - my class as well.

You bought from a Leica dealer. They should have as much interest in your current issue as they did when they took your money. If non-responsive, perhaps a call to Leica Canada (if there is such a thing) would help. Failing that, I would respectfully press your dealer to act as a dealer.

Best of luck.

David

The Leica Store Manchester looked after my returns for the sensor upgrade.My M9 and my Monochrom where returns to me in August and the upgrade had taken approx 3 months. My second M9 was sent to Germany in early August and has just been returned today.Taking into consideration the number of cameras which where returned to Germany close to the cut of date for the free replacement sensor upgrade and Leica,s annual holiday, I have nothing to complain about.Leica,s solution to the sensor corrosion issue has been very good. I doubt if other manufacturers would have responded so well.One final point, a big thank you to Rick and Ben and the rest of the team at Leica in Manchester. I have always been looked after in an efficient and friendly manner over the past 35 years and I can honestly recommend them to any prospective customers both in the UK and overseas.Well done guys and thank you.

Unimpressive service from your local Leica dealer. After all, there are many places to buy this gear. I opted for a dealer for most purchases as a conduit to the Leica mother ship in the event of problems. Leica Miami has been very attentive when my M9 needed to go back  - twice. And they took care of my S lens motor repair as well. About two weeks, door to door. And I did not even buy that particular lens from them. The sensor replacement for the M9 has been a more protracted experience. The camera went back about four months ago. But Leica Miami advised me that they are getting cameras back that were sent in July - my class as well.

You bought from a Leica dealer. They should have as much interest in your current issue as they did when they took your money. If non-responsive, perhaps a call to Leica Canada (if there is such a thing) would help. Failing that, I would respectfully press your dealer to act as a dealer.

Best of luck.

David

Thanks for the thoughts, David. Leica Canada has long gone. I guess I'd best wait until the Christmas rush is over and then mail it off to Germany.

I've owned 7 Leica's since the late '60s, starting with a used IIIf. Lenses galore, a projector and all sorts of Leitz odds and end. In terms of quality of output, their gear has been mostly very good. Customer service and technical assistance have been a whole other experience. Whenever anything has gone wrong with their gear I've had to go through hoops and put up with attitude to get it fixed.

And I don't agree with those who praise Leica's response to this sensor problem. We're not talking a $500 camera here, and to have the most expensive camera body I've ever owned become near-useless in the space of 7 years is just not acceptable. The Pentax K5 I bought at the same time as my M9 has seen far rougher treatment and continues to function faultlessly. Why do I keep coming back to Leica? Mega-bucks invested in lenses for one thing, and when all's said and done I prefer the pictures I get out of my M9 to those of any other camera I've ever owned. 

If ever somebody produces a body at a reasonable price that performs as well with Leica glass as their own bodies, having that little 'Leica' emblem on the front of your camera will be the only reason to stick with them, and that won't be enough for me.

• Like 2