Current Sensor Replacement Times

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dave,

I did send the camera directly to Germany, hence the smart turnaround and excellent communication. As I said elsewhere in this forum, previous contact with NJ on my sensor problems went unanswered, and a phone call to the Vancouver dealer where I bought the camera seven years ago was a waste of time. I know from my own business experience that finding responsible, committed and customer-oriented agents for your products and services is a steep climb, but Leica really need to look at their representatives in North America. They're doing them no favours.

I have to say that apart from the niggles mentioned above and the fact that I had to pay for replacement, I'm very pleased with the performance of the returned camera. Falling in love all over again, in fact. Perhaps their updating to the latest firmware responsible for some of the enhancement, perhaps it's all in my imagination, but the fact that the M9 now recognizes my 135 Tele Elmar on auto is a good start, and it seems the higher ISO performance has improved. Previously I wouldn't dream of using higher than 640. Two evenings ago I took a shot at 1250 that came out very acceptably. 

So now I'm back to considering a Leica body to use my R lenses. If I do take the plunge, I won't be going back to the shop where I bought my M9.

• 3 weeks later...

I received yesterday an email from Leica with an "invoice" for repairing the M9. The invoice is for $0, but maybe the receiving of the invoice signals the return of my M9 after having it sent to NJ for sensor inspection and replacement in September 2017. A former email from a manager at Leica on February 24 in which I was informed that my M9 had been repaired  may have been sent to me too early. I feel good about getting back my M9 even though this also means that I send back the M240. I have to prepare myself for the M9 "challenges" again. 

Raid, recently, I too received the same kind of invoice as you did from Leica N.J. and a few days after that I received an email from them containing a UPS tracking # indicating the camera was shipped. So Hopefully your M9 will be on its way back to you shortly.

Dave

• Like 1

Mine went in before the deadline and is still not back (April 4). It would seem that Leica might consider an alternative approach to remedying the problem. When one looks at the numerous M8 fiascos compounded by the M9 sensor problems it becomes a point of confusion as to why I keep buying Leica. Regards, Ron

Mine went in before the deadline and is still not back (April 4). It would seem that Leica might consider an alternative approach to remedying the problem. When one looks at the numerous M8 fiascos compounded by the M9 sensor problems it becomes a point of confusion as to why I keep buying Leica. Regards, Ron

Because you’re hooked.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did you get a notification from Leica that your M9 has been repaired or did you get an invoice ?

Did you get a notification from Leica that your M9 has been repaired or did you get an invoice ?

Initially, I received confirmation of the sensor problem and around the first of the year was told, after endless NJ waiting for sensor shipments from Leica, that it was sent to Germany for repair. It seems that except for cash repair, the principal problem is sensor availability. regards, Ron

After 9 mo of gestation I contacted leica and asked for the rep to read the ultrasound and tell me of my m9 was a girl or boy! She laughed and said my m9 was on the way. Got it yesterday have not tried it out... I guess leica users need to have a backup camera. mine is a m8. I forgot how nice the b/w is without the ir filter.

Raid, That is strange. Recently this is the order of what I received from Leica N.J. regarding my M9's for sensor replacement. 1. Sent them in in mid Aug 2017. 2. A very shortlater I received an email with notice they were received. In an email about a month later, they confirmed sensor coorosion assessment with sort of an invoice with no charge. 3.Then approx 6-7 months later I received an email essentually with the same invoice as previously sent indicating work performed. 4. About 7-10 days after this latest invoice I received an email with the UPS tracking # and a few days after this the cameras were received. 5. After cameras were received, I then was emailed service service survey. Hope this helps a bit and might be prudent to get in touch with them.

Dave

Edited by DandA
  • Like 1

Raid (and others)..sorry for all the ridiculous spelling mistakes in my previous post.  Was typing fast on a small cell phone. Raid, I received an invoice twice...one about a month after I sent in the cameras and again (I presume after the work was about completed)  just before I receiving a UPS tracking #.  Did you also receive two near identical invoices?  Reason I ask is its hard to believe the invoice you just received is indicative the work is just commencing.  I would definitely try and get in touch with them to see where things are at.  I know from what you mentioned, they recently asked for the M240 back which seemed to indicate they were near completion of the work on your M9.  Regardless, I would try calling/reaching them.

Dave

Dave: I received an email after I mailed my M9 to NJ and then again 14 days ago or so. Maybe I will get soon the UPS tracking number.

Leica NJ emailed me separately on FEB 24 that my M9 has been repaired. 

I just sent Leica NJ an email about my M9.

Maybe they will soon let me know when/where/what is known about my M9.

Raid

Edited by Raid Amin

Raid something is amiss. Why after telling you back in Feb that your camera was repaired would they then hold up or delay shipping till the present? Doesn't make sense unless the tech noticed something at the last min and held it back. Only they can clear up the confusion. Hope you find out soon.

Dave

Raid something is amiss. Why after telling you back in Feb that your camera was repaired would they then hold up or delay shipping till the present? Doesn't make sense unless the tech noticed something at the last min and held it back. Only they can clear up the confusion. Hope you find out soon.

Dave

I had such a thought before, Dave. It most likely is what you have described. My M9 suddenly had other issues, and it is being (hopefully) worked on now. I emailed Leica today, but they have not replied yet.

It's impossible to really know what is happening with your M9. I would alternate both calling and email frequently throughout the week until you reach someone who can  definitively give you an answer.  I too don't like bothering those who are overwhelmed and doing the best they can, but your circumstance does warrant some answers.

Dave