Misaligned images on II(D) negatives

Mathias,

sorry to write, but I am pretty sure that the camera will produce black stripes on negatives, see thin "hairs". Not very typical, but I have seen already on few cameras.

Stripes will be visible on fast speeds only (1/500, 1/1000) and with bright background. Looking carefully at the negatives which you posted I could not see anything, but I do not know what was exposure time.

Immediate remedation would be to cut the hairs on the edges, very carefully, with sharp knife, however I would go for replacing curtains, the process of fabric dissolving will continue. >Both curtains show the same effect, on this one it is more visible

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Unfortunately, it seems you are right (not that I doubted your expertise, I was just in a wishful thinking mode...).

The image below is a crop from a test shot on the very first roll of film that I have put through this camera. When you know what you are looking for, the dark lines are obvious, and I should have stumbled upon them on my own. However, with the drab autumn weather, most of my recent photographs are not 1/1000 sec ;) I have scrutinized the negative with my wife's surgical microscope and the emulsion side is physically pristine.

I do hope that LeicaShop will remedy the problem in kind!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by schattenundlicht

this is exactely the effect, although I expected even more dark lines. At 1/500 slid width is 2,4mm, I had impression that some of the hairs are longer. At lower speed slid width is bigger and some of the light from the object can reach the negative

My photos documenting the film orientation pre/post shimming show the silhouette of the shutter cloth as it is rolled upon the drum. They propably do not show the true leading/trailing edge of the curtain. Are the shutter cloth edges specifically rubberized? This could explain why they might be a little less frayed than what we see rolled up on the drum?

I will not do further experiments, as the crop posted above is enough to document that image artifacts will occur if conditions are 'right'. Now it is up to the good people in Vienna to stand up to their reputation, which I would expect them to do from my previous dealings with them.

Does anyone know if Leica updated the cassette chamber size on the 0 Series replica or left it as original dimensions? 

Wilson

Leica "0" Replica film.

- in the "making of 0 Replica" brochure, it was "adapted to modern film"

- in the "0-Serie" manual (in french page 5), "Votre Leica 0-Serie se charge avec des films de petit format d'usage dans le commerce - unique différence

par rapport au modèle original ...

La languette du film doit ensuite avoir une longueur de 10 à 12cm."

so the film chamber is adapted to modern film canister dimensions (only difference with Original),

and longer "slimming of 10-12cm" is necessary (ABLON ? no need an carboard "modern ablon" is in the package !)

• Like 1

Leica "0" Replica film.

- in the "making of 0 Replica" brochure, it was "adapted to modern film"

- in the "0-Serie" manual (in french page 5), "Votre Leica 0-Serie se charge avec des films de petit format d'usage dans le commerce - unique différence

par rapport au modèle original ...

La languette du film doit ensuite avoir une longueur de 10 à 12cm."

so the film chamber is adapted to modern film canister dimensions (only difference with Original),

and longer "slimming of 10-12cm" is necessary (ABLON ? no need an carboard "modern ablon" is in the package !)

I still trim with an ABLON for my 0 Series replica and would be surprised if it was not necessary, unless there are no teeth on the bottom (camera held upside down) of the sprocket nearest the cassette. The film slot is very narrow so it would not be possible to use the alternative visiting/membership card method of film loading. 

Wilson

• 4 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry Wilson.

Many years late answer.

Modern Ablon (cardboard made) is in the package as I wrote, so trimming is mandatory on film to use with Zero Replica.

...yellow at center with red cross

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.noctilux

Arnaud,

Is your O series from the second batch with the Galilean rather than wire frame finder? There was no cardboard ABLON supplied with my first batch O series. It does not worry me as I have an original ABLON still in its Morocco leather case (and an ABCOO knife to use with my 250FF). I picked them up at a Brighton camera fair from someone who did not know what they were and from memory I paid £10 for the ABLON and £5 for the ABCOO. I keep going back hoping to find an ANZOO template for my 250FF but no luck. The last one of these sold fetched over €3000. As more 250's were sold to non-government bodies in the UK than anywhere else, to the people running the seaside walking photographer business, there must have been plenty ANZOO's sitting around. I guess they have mostly been thrown away. My 250FF was one of at least 16 250's owned by Brighams of Bridlington, as it has No.16 engraved into its top cover. My son has 3D printed a plastic ANZOO for me. My father and I used to share an ABLON back in the early 1960's, him for his IIIa and me for my Reid and Sigrist Model 2. We left it by mistake on a bench at the top cable car station on Mount Titlis in Switzerland, when the weather alarm siren sounded and we had to rush back to the station to get a cable car down before the weather closed in. I still have the very small Swiss army knife, with a scimitar shaped blade, that my father used to use to trim the film with the ABLON and I use that with my ABLON. Because it has a concave blade, I had to buy a special Victorinox sharpening tool to keep it razor sharp, like it needs to be for cutting film. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

Arnaud

Is your O series from the second batch with the Galilean rather than wire frame finder? There was no cardboard ABLON supplied with my first batch O series. It does not worry me as I have an original ABLON still in its Morocco leather case (and an ABCOO knife to use with my 250FF). I picked them up at a Brighton camera fair from someone who did not know what they were and from memory I paid £10 for the ABLON and £5 for the ABCOO. I keep going back hoping to find an ANZOO template for my 250FF but no luck. The last one of these sold fetched over €3000. As more 250's were sold to non-government bodies in the UK than anywhere else, to the people running the seaside walking photographer business, there must have been plenty ANZOO's sitting around. I guess they have mostly been thrown away. My 250FF was one of at least 16 250's owned by Brighams of Bridlington, as it has No.16 engraved into its top cover. My son has 3D printed a plastic ANZOO for me. My father and I used to share an ABLON back in the early 1960's, him for his IIIa and me for my Reid and Sigrist Model 2. We left it by mistake on a bench at the top cable car station on Mount Titlis in Switzerland, when the weather alarm siren sounded and we had to rush back to the station to get a cable car down before the weather closed in. I still have the very small Swiss army knife, with a scimitar shaped blade, that my father used to use to trim the film with the ABLON and I use that with my ABLON. Because it has a concave blade, I had to buy a special Victorinox sharpening tool to keep it razor sharp, like it needs to be for cutting film. 

Wilson

I have an ANZOO which I paid £29 for back in 2008 from MW Classic Cameras. It would seem that was a better investment than Gold Bullion.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Matlock said:

I have an ANZOO which I paid £29 for back in 2008 from MW Classic Cameras. It would seem that was a better investment than Gold Bullion.

I bought a couple of KOOBF cassettes from MW around 2014. By an amazing coincidence, they were engraved Brighams, Bridlington, the original owners of my 250FF. 

Wilson

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Arnaud,

Wilson

My O Serie Oskar Barnack Prototype 2 replica came with the cardboard template.