First post from iPhone

kdemas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guy,

I knew you'd be among the first of the overseas people to rub our European noses in the fact that we are still an iPhoneless part of the world ;). But, i'm happy for you. I'd like to know how the internet part performs. Is it anywhere near as fast as you see in the Apple ads? Is the interface raelly as smooth moving or is it more iPod like with little freezes every now and then?

Have fun!

Hans

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to piss on the parade here and I also find that the iPhone looks like a nice piece of gadgetry, but what I can't grasp is:

Why would one buy an electronic device that's laid out for daily use (medium to heavy usage) with a BUILT-IN battery?

I, too, have an iPod (actually had 2 so far), but even I with my "not really daily" use of that thing notice the degrading battery and find it the weakest point of the iPod (along with the cable remote, which ALWAYS seems to break after 3 months - regardless which generation).

And now, there's another Apple product with a non removable battery pack?

I think I will pass this time. Maybe I won't after I know more details of the european version, like which carrier will be the exclusive one, what plans do they offer here (I expect nothing less than a revolutionary one of course) and what the final price in Euro will be.

Anyway, have fun with it and of course, I feel just a bit envious :)

As a self-contained wireless laptop replacement (for staying in touch via email, etc.) it sounds like it could be a useful thing to have but I'm not sure I care for the fact that Apple are only selling the iPhone locked to a single GSM provider. I'd rather pay more for something that does not require a subscription to a single provider's offerings. Presumably the European offering will be slightly different as there is an obligation in many countries (certainly in the UK) that a mobile phone can be unlocked at the owner's request (usually subject to a fee of around €20). I'd also expect the iPhone to be 3G here or it'll seem way out of date straight out of the box.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well first i did not know that my friends over the ocean could not use them there but I will still let you drool. LOL

Good points on the battery and single GSM provider. Removable battery would have been a better choice no doubt but one saving grace is you can power it through USB so laptop , desktop can actually charge it not to mention AC chargeing as well. So that does make it a little more useful. Also battery life is pretty good. i am also sure some car charger will be around too. One other helpful plus is it will take all the Ipod charging stuff and you can share that.

Single GSM question . What i heard was other providers did not want it because the plan that Apple wanted they won't make as much money or giving up too much . Not sure of this but what i heard. Plus the competition here is huge for cell service. I think another biggy was the phone could be purchased from Apple or ATT &T and that can lead to less sales for the GSM provider. For me i bought mine at the Apple store so Att&t makes no money on that sale just the service. The service is very reasonable also. 20 dollars extra for all the data is very cheap compared to the others like Sprint and such , my bill actually will go down a lot.

The biggest hook to this is the Data part. E-mail is awesome and surfing is very good and these are the big selling points. Honestly my laptop will sit a lot more because i can get e-mail very well and go online and check things. So this will be a real benefit to me. The next best thing with e-mail is the Blackberrys and there not exactly cheap either so for e-mail junkies the I phone certainly has the best interface.

Guest guy_mancuso

Hans they made a smart decision to use WiFi because it certainly is faster than the phone side . So yes the Wifi part is really good and would perform pretty close to any laptop on WIFi.

Why would one buy an electronic device that's laid out for daily use (medium to heavy usage) with a BUILT-IN battery?

My Treo 650 has an easily user replaceable battery but I've never had to use that feature in the 2.5 years I've had it. Never bought or needed a spare battery.

iPhone has much better battery life than the Treo, so I don't see it as a problem. Especially since the iPhone comes with a dock.

If you are breaking your remotes every three months then you are an exceptionally heavy user!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually, that's reality - you can use a Sandisk 1gb MiniSD with adapter in the M8 (slow but it works), pop the miniSD chip directly into a Windows pocket device like a Motorola Q and email away. You might even be able to FTP files, but I haven't gotten that far in my exploration.

I'm not sure how that would work with an iPhone, since it doesn't have a card slot.

Dante

Ya never know...the iphone may have a lot to do with the M8 in the near future--download your images from the m8 and load them to the iphone and press the send button to your editor, website, or loved one.

Well of course I COULD have had a 4GB one yesterday but today all those lovely green dots on Apple's retail store availability chart are quickly turning RED!

I read somewhere that initial sales are estimated at 700K. Maybe they only made 3/4 million for the first run.

OK, someone had to do it! I'm playing around on my iPhone while packing up my m8 for some shooting tomorrow. Very cool toy.

Elegant like a leica, cool like a mac :)

Kent

Hey Kent, enjoy it! It's a fun item and until someone uses it for themselves, they shouldn't put it down. It's one of those "toys" that can't really be explained... sort of like a $5K camera body ;)

(ok, don't go yelling at me for that comment, it was a JOKE...hehehe)

I stood on line Friday night to get one (even with a brother working at Apple there were no special favors! LOL)... I took pics with my other expensive "toy"...

Have fun!

Amy,

Thanks for the note. Your brother must be a happy puppy as I hear all the employees will be getting a freebie. They deserve it as they've been on a roll lately.

Take care.

Kent

Amy,

Thanks for the note. Your brother must be a happy puppy as I hear all the employees will be getting a freebie. They deserve it as they've been on a roll lately.

Take care.

Kent

Nope, he's a sad puppy because he hasn't been there over a year... the employees getting free iPhones are the ones who've been there a year or longer. :(

But he gets to "play" with them all day ;)

My Treo 650 has an easily user replaceable battery but I've never had to use that feature in the 2.5 years I've had it. Never bought or needed a spare battery.

Lucky you, I had a Treo 600 and the built-in battery had to be changed after half a year.

No biggy, just the usual turnaround time of 3 weeks instead of just flipping the battery.

iPhone has much better battery life than the Treo, so I don't see it as a problem. Especially since the iPhone comes with a dock.

Not sure where you got that information from, since the product is out for how many days now? Can we still count in days, cause we haven't reached a full week yet?

Joe, don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the iPhone and like the look and apparently the functionality (will be sure about that once I had it in my hands to fiddle) - but please don't believe everything Apple tells you, they are the loudest mouth on the market.

Battery life is something crucial and I like to take Apple's propaganda with a grain of salt:

Apple iPhone Cell Phone Review - Candy Bar - ATT - Carrier - Reviews - WirelessInfo.com - Cell Phone Reviews and Wireless Plan Ratings

If you are breaking your remotes every three months then you are an exceptionally heavy user!

No, not really. The cable breaks at either the plug to the ipod (older versions) or the remote itself (newer version with radio in it). The cables are not supported by much rubber on the outside, so they tend to hang in odd angles and wear off, especially if you are moving while listening to music, which for me is the basic principle on mobile music players :)

It seems that I am not the only one, since salespersons in two apple shops confirmed so far that remotes are their best selling accessory.

Guest sirvine

iPhone is missing one feature that could have made it great: seamless integration of VOIP over Wi-Fi. I think you will see a device like this from another maker, and it will immediate supercede the iPhone in everyone's mind.

seamless integration of VOIP over Wi-Fi. I think you will see a device like this from another maker, and it will immediate supercede the iPhone in everyone's mind.

You might be right but don't expect too many of the mobile network providers to rush to get involved.

Guest guy_mancuso

I am at a resort right now with my wife without any gear including a laptop reading the forum and able to see all threads and photos.I amreally amazed at this iPhone. Even checked my bank account . Neat thing is it spell checks as you type. What does as you type a word wrong it shows the correct word under it and if correct than just hit the space bar for the right word. Hell i need this on my main computer.LOL

I'm not on Wifi but still pretty fast. At least you can work. For some folks this S perfect

iPhone is missing one feature that could have made it great: seamless integration of VOIP over Wi-Fi. I think you will see a device like this from another maker, and it will immediate supercede the iPhone in everyone's mind.

Yeah, and it could have had an even better battery or more memory or an external memory slot or video capture or gps capability or on and on. But, in the end, it doesn't matter. Apple has created a device that is a paradigm shifter. The company is the first to package the most wanted elements of current technology (web, video, audio, phone, camera) in an easy-to-use mobile device. It's hard to argue with the company's uncanny ability to strip out extraneous features and provide elegant design and user interface.

Many will come along and supercede the iPhone in available functions. But will anyone package it better? To sell to the masses you have to provide a device that matters to the masses. And, after this launch, Apple has clearly cast themselves as the form and function leader in the cell phone market. That's a pretty audacious beginning.

Kurt

Apple has created a device that is a paradigm shifter. The company is the first to package the most wanted elements of current technology (web, video, audio, phone, camera) in an easy-to-use mobile device.

I'm sure the iPhone is great but it's hardly a paradigm shift. There have been numerous smartphones on the market for quite some time that do all those things. I dare say the iPhone is more elegant and easy to use (and if I get one when they come to Europe I'll probably appreciate the integration with my Macs) but it doesn't really do anything new.

Personally, I'll only be interested in one as a small wifi/GSM laptop replacement for email and occasional web use - I prefer to use a mobile phone for my telephone conversations.

I am really amazed by all that hype about the iphone. I suppose it's due to the Macmania of most of the posters on this forum. But, in fact, the iphone is just a pale copy of what is readily available from Nokia : N95 : 114 gr of real technology. 3G, Wifi, VOIP, 5 Mp photo (Zeiss lens), video, MP3, GPS, Bluetooth etc...Is the N95 not available in the States ?