First post from iPhone

kdemas

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the battery is soldered to the circuit/logic board.. (?)

sorry for maybe beeing rude, but im afraid its yet another "downfall" from apples part going from pro marked to consumerism products that dont last as long as they should/could..

but congrats with new toy err phone =)

Guest Bernd Banken
And the battery is soldered to the circuit/logic board.. (?)

sorry for maybe beeing rude, but im afraid its yet another "downfall" from apples part going from pro marked to consumerism products that dont last as long as they should/could..

but congrats with new toy err phone =)

I remember the times when the Ipods had this "downfall" with their batteries. Today no one will remember these arguments against this player, just buy a new one from Sonnett.

I bet when the huge quantities are in the market very soon third party items or service will be established.

By the way, the Samsung portable of my son it's nice looking crap...

Bernd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congrats on the new iPhone. Are you "thumb-typing" yet or still using your index finger?

I've read that the Safari browser on the iPhone can't deal with Flash. Have you encountered any issues with website browsing?

I also hear that the EDGE service is sluggish but the WiFi is fast. Comments?

If I hadn't had knee surgery yesterday I'd have gone to Apple or AT&T to check it out.

You'd be doing me a huge favor is you can tell me if my (still in construction) website can be viewed all at on the iPhone as it would be a major reason for my partner and I getting them.

Thanks!

http://www.magnetimages.com

I think the build quality of Apple products is pretty dismal, especially their durability in everyday use. My iPod looks like it's been to hell and back. I don't think comparisons with Leica are valid at all.

It will be interesting to see how long it is before your iPhone is scratched and lost its new look. I'll give it 48 hours.

Guest guy_mancuso

Thinking the same thing Mark. i actually am pretty sick of my Sprint bill and thought about the Iphone and going with AT&T again. I have 3 phones and my daughter is killer on text messaging but my bills are through the roof every month and I tried everything to get them lower. i may just bite the bullet but i want to see how they hold up first. I would probably invest right away in screen protection on this unit for sure. Any more info would be interesting , i know not leica but fact is computers and stuff like this are our way of life and always good to keep a pulse on stuff.

I think the build quality of Apple products is pretty dismal, especially their durability in everyday use. My iPod looks like it's been to hell and back. I don't think comparisons with Leica are valid at all.

What does your mobile phone look like, Mark?

It's not an "Apple" thing, it's a "product I put in my pocket with my keys and small change and occasionally drop" thing. All MP3 players get scruffy.

Guest Bernd Banken

It will be interesting to see how long it is before your iPhone is scratched and lost its new look. I'll give it 48 hours.

Mark,

my 3rd gen. 20 GB pod looks pretty good. Everyday use in the carholder or the small shirt pocket doesn't produce too much scratches.

Simple white Colgate and a piece of cotton delivers a nice and smooth surface after a little polishing.

The 4th gen. ipod of my son looks like hell but works fine too.

Bernd

There are thousands of them for sale on ebay today, imagine that. I am tempted to bid $100 for one and see if it actually goes through. Surely they would cancel the auction if they were not going to recover the $599 + tax investment.

Guest Bernd Banken
Congrats on the new iPhone. Are you "thumb-typing" yet or still using your index finger?

I've read that the Safari browser on the iPhone can't deal with Flash. Have you encountered any issues with website browsing?

I also hear that the EDGE service is sluggish but the WiFi is fast. Comments?

If I hadn't had knee surgery yesterday I'd have gone to Apple or AT&T to check it out.

You'd be doing me a huge favor is you can tell me if my (still in construction) website can be viewed all at on the iPhone as it would be a major reason for my partner and I getting them.

Thanks!

http://www.magnetimages.com

please look here:

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

Bernd

Works great so far;

bought-activated-no problem here in New Jersey.

It plays the role of a mini laptop (and of a phone of course), since it runs full OSX.

Internet browsing works well;

displays photographs well.

The only downside - 8GB is not enough for music/video/photo.

Peter

The screen is glass, and it is a touch-screen. It is an interesting question whether it would work with a plastic film on it. David Pogue reported no scratches anywhere in his two-week test.

The Apple Store website already lists a plastic film screen protector for sale that it claims doesn't interfere with the touch screen and I can't see why it would.

Hi Mark

I think the build quality goes from one extreme to another. My current 8gb Nano has bashed around with car keys for 6 months and still looks fine (it's the metal one), as does my macbook pro - but I agree that the plastic ipods are dreadful. As far as I can tell though the iphone is metal with a glass screen - so it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm jealous anyway!

Thinking the same thing Mark. i actually am pretty sick of my Sprint bill and thought about the Iphone and going with AT&T again. I have 3 phones and my daughter is killer on text messaging but my bills are through the roof every month and I tried everything to get them lower. i may just bite the bullet but i want to see how they hold up first. I would probably invest right away in screen protection on this unit for sure. Any more info would be interesting , i know not leica but fact is computers and stuff like this are our way of life and always good to keep a pulse on stuff.

Hi Guy,

Before you bite the bullet, I would suggest the new Blackberry 8830 world phone from Verizon. It seems that you travel quite a bit and this is the phone to have. Cost is abot $299 with rebates and Verozon has the best service in the business.

When traveling, you can get all of your e-mail's and you keep your regular numbers. You can receive calls in some 60 different countries and comes with an SD slot. (who knows, you might be able to load in Phojo and work your images from the M8 on the Blackberry.

Being a traveling photo-journilst and wanting to keep with Verizon, I just switched my Blackberry 8703e to the New 8830 (and I will be trying phojo on the phone when it arrives.

The I-phone looks like a nice idea, but if you cannot get your calls (in or out, with AT&T service) than how much is it worth?

Just my $0.02 worth!

Best

Gary

Gary I. Rothstein, Photography