First post from iPhone

kdemas

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Keep me away from there Alan , or keep my wife away. LOL

So far pretty good on the Iphone, usually devices like this the phone part sucks. but surprise it is pretty good. Screen just another oversize M8 LCD , now i carry the Leica cloth ALL the time. LOL My only issue is e-mail , not recieving it yet but may have a setting off. i think it has to port in and out and that is not set. Photos look great and that is a good sign, Ipod part also. Web is interesting , first i need to make the fonts bigger but i was able to see this site pretty good , just need to log in and such and hard to hit page two of a thread. need to make the fonts bigger for starters. my other issue in Entourage , not seeing my calender and contacts. i may go visit the genious bar tomorrow since i need to go there for the Macbook. BTW At&t took my Blackberry back with a refund , been very nice so with them. i could spit at Sprint lately, nice to gone from them and yes able to keep my old number , that was number one for me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guy_mancuso

That is next to figure out. Got mail working, Entourage i set to sync with Ical and addresses and now syncing all that , moving on to web page but can't find a way to bigger fonts

Guest guy_mancuso

Looks like a double tab zooms in on the web. Also if you hold button it magnifies. pretty slick too. WiFi is also working and it is pretty darn fast. Shit this thing maybe pretty damn good after all. Still working on the page turn , this one could bit tough to get to second page in thread

Guest guy_mancuso

Able to get fingers in there but if Andreas could put a button for next page and previuos page , just like next thread it would help a lot. Than surfing the LUF would be pretty darn easy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guy,

You may know that already but you can enlarge a part of a page (or whatever is displayed) by putting your thumb and your index on the display spreading them. I found that this allows me to make links and page numbers big enough to hit them. Most of the time.

Jacques

When browsing a web page, how do you click on a link or other specific point without using a stylus?

You just tap on the link with your finger. In fact a stylus or other pointing device doesn't work with this touch screen.If the page opens in another window, there is an icon in the lower right corrner which brings up the tabbed browsing... just swipe your finger to flow through the multiple web pages (Cover Flow). Using two fingers in a "pinching" motion either zooms in or out on the page, a single touch slides the page around. I figured out how to get it to work with my ISP over the cellular network - you still use your own account settings for your POP account, but for the SMTP (send) you use ATT's wireless server (at least in my case). Isn't there a firmware update yet?

I have the advantage of using PDA before they were such. I bought almost every model out for around a two year period by Sharp, Psion, and Casio. They were called Digital Organizers. PSION had the most features from a programmer standpoint. Sharp the most refined. But Casio by far had the most useful overall for me. The major thing that casio had that no other organizer or pda has ever had since then was a symbol they called "combined search" I gave every entry in my phone book a code that stood for gender, where i met them, and a few others. You could hit search on the CASIO BOSS platform and then type for instance nyc©m Suddenly a list of every male in New york would list on the screen. Essentially it was a global search with an AND ability.

The relevance of this is, for years I chased "more features" and search for what the CASIO missed. But in the really I kept going back to the original model I had the CASIO BOSS 6500. It had a membrane keyboard. WHich was difficult to enter a lot of data in fast, but unlike the Sharp and PSION with a better keyboard, it was thin and light enough to carry in your pocket "or sport coat" without bulging out. And it had incredible battery life. At this time it was a difficult to really back up your data easily. For the post part you had a serial cable that transferred a text file of your data to your computer.

I paid little attention to backing up as it was quirky. Went on a trip to Europe, And lo and behold a pick pocket steals the organizer. WIth every single number of everyone i was going to call and visit. Talk about lessoned learned when it comes to backing up.

Note: One "failure" of all these early devices was under heavy use, the hinges would eventually break as the plastic weakened due to a spring loaded closed lid.

Now when I travel anywhere. I have a printed copy of my Drivers license, my Passport, Debit Cards (front and back) and printed list of all my contact. This copy stays in the hotel safe.

Fast forward a number of years to Palm Pilot. Palm Pilot was a little smaller, and had the a siple plastic cover that kept the screen from getting damaged when in your pocket.

Having owed almost every Palm Pilot model as well. The other thing that really made it useful is easy quick backup. This was before cellphone could hold many numbers.

It drove me crazy to never be able to simple have the cellphone read a text file in of a name and phone number. It took how many crazy years for this to actually come about? WAY TO LONG in my opinion.

The Treo starting with the 600 I feel was the first phone that combined a phone that you could keep in a pants or jacket pocket with out to much agitation. But then Treos speakers and Antennas usually act up after about 6 months of heavy use. But I still kept using it over all the windows ce based products because it works equally as well for the most part with Macintosh and Windows. And the interface of the Treo isnt so bloated as to take over the true primary function of the device which is PHONE. and for me everything else second. Then followed by calendar, email, and text messaging.

WIth those three functions i can pretty much handle my tech support business when a laptop is not with me.

Having my clients have many phones and many devices, I can say that overall most have had the best usability with the Treo 600, 650 and 700 variations. Most never had a need for a second battery.

My clients with windows based devices seemed to not be able to all day and most of the evening with out charging. So much like the Star-Tac phone which i used to see people flaunt as so small (I had one of those by the way) they and I had to carry a pocket with 2 extra batteries to go all day with a useable phone. So eventually after figuring out those phones were not durable and had bad battery life. I got a bigger phone that lasted longer, and worked as a phone first, rather than focusing on it being a "Fashion Accessory" or a "Technical Accessory".

Fast forward to last the last few year of phones. "Technical Accessories" that don't work as a great phone first. Usually putting the phone experience way last.

I try to have my clients use a computer, camera, or device, that first "Solves the problem at hand" and then add features to it for their individual needs. The ones that do that usual enjoy and get more productivity out of the money spent.

We see this in photography every day. One person sucks and has the most powerful equipment, another is a great photographer with average equipment. Some people are always chasing the elusive "BEST EQUIPMENT" but lack any skill, education, or understanding that no one "TOOL" can fix every "PROBLEM".

You'll notice this in some people who have chronic "Buyers Remorse" and the need to exploit "Return Policies".

While waiting in line all day for the chance to buy an Iphone, I watched 15 approx. walk up to the locked door at ATT, pull the door 3-5 times "Not one read the sign that said closed till 6pm" then turn to the crowd "us" and ask "why cant i go inside"

Obviously they didnt feel the need to take any personal responsibility for their situation. Such as actually reading a sign on the door, or asking first "hey how come there are 80 people in line up to the door". Most were complaining about "How am I supposed to pay my bill" Which in my opinion with the high price of gasoline, why would they drive at the last minute in 5 o'clock traffic on a friday to pay their bill at the store? Why note send it with a check and a stamp in the mail, or pay online, or pay with a credit or debit car over their phone? And why did they find the need to cut in front of an obvious line and only "ask for our help" after not reading and jerking on the door.

Also all these people were pretty rude when the employees of the store unlocked it to try and explain what happened. And most of us at the front spent the time to gracefully and with a pleasant demeanor explain of the a nearby affiliate store where they could go and pay the bill.

One man walked up and without pulling on the door, read the sign. He turned to us and smiled and said "I guess wait with all you guys out here till they open up" We noticed he had a cellphone box in his hand. ANd got to talking to him. THe 70 year old man with cane turned out to be a 91 !!! year old man. His phone quit working and he didnt know why. But he was willing to wait. Naturally not one person in line was angry or told him to get in the back of the line. One guy let him sit in his chair. After about an hour we figured out he had been plugging in the wrong charger to his phone, and it just ran out of power. So the guy who gave him his seat, happened to have a Nokia battery in his phone that fir the guys phone. So that guys gives the 91 year old man his battery, so he didn't have to wait another hour.

Moral of the story the man who lived a long full life, an was pleasant saw his "problem" of his phone not working as an opportunity to sit down and talk to and get to know people. And eventually all of us Technophiles figured out a simple solution of giving him a battery.

Out anyone there, I would bet he values his time as much as any of us. Especially since we found out he had a torn rotator cup in his should and bad knees. Oh, and he walked from across the parking lot, he didn't park at the front door in a handicap spot either.

This long diatribe tough me lesson friday. I made some new friends, it took a long time to get my phone number switched over, and I waited in line all day in the sun, but I had fun. And learned once again that thinks don't always work perfectly, and most of the time if we "create solutions" rather than "search for problems" we all will have a collective experience in everything we do.

As for the iPhone. It it a stunning piece of engineering. Does it do everything my laptop does. No. But it fits in my pocket.

As for my M8. It it a stunning piece of engineering. Does it have auto focus like my former Canon 5d, 1DMKII, 10D, 20D, or 300D? No. But it carries nicely on my shoulder and people never are intimidated by it.

My grainy, noise, pocket samsung digital camera, does it take great pictures, no not a all. But its so small it "lives" in he center console of my car and s used to take photos of checks and deposit slips as i drive around. A sort of james bond document scanner if you will.

Again the right tool for the right job.

Now for the humor:

1. I often wish that all my devices are waterproof.

2. I often wish that all my devices are impervious to fire.

3. I often wish that all my devices cost one dollar each.

4. I often wish that I could peddle my feet in thin air and fly.

Since necessity is the mother of invention, I suppose at some point we create this "GIANT NEEDS" so our creative minds can build a solution to todays problem.

And sometimes we lose track of being able to enjoy what we have just created.

My new iphone didn't work until today. it took about 20 hours for the ported number transfer. Strangely enough I didn't lose any clients, the sun didn't supernova, and last night when I went out to meet some friends, I actually talked to people rather than talking on the cellphone and texting everyone else doing the same. Oh, and I even got to take some pictures with M8.

Hopefully in a few days Ill take the time to enjoy using some of my many things for what they where designed to do, rather than hammering a picture frame nail with the heal of my shoe, because I cant seem to find "The Best Designer Hammer In The World" yet.

Mario.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well got everything working pretty well except Entourage and i think you just have to set up Entourage to sync with Ical and address book and work that way but will ask today at the genius bar for straight sync with Entourage. Have to say this thing works very nicely once you get it going correctly. Images look great. i am going to process all of my Germany trip and load jpegs on it to show my family and friends. LOL just had deja vue with slide projectors. ROTFLMAO

So to answer the question, does this have anything to do with Leica and the M8 , answer yes it does because it is another form of using your images. Now if it had 60gb and took SD cards than we really would have something to talk about but having a laptop all the time with you maybe a thing of the past . Just get a Epson and a Iphone. Than you have backup , web,mail and phone plus other goodies. Hmmm

One man walked up and without pulling on the door, read the sign. He turned to us and smiled and said "I guess wait with all you guys out here till they open up" We noticed he had a cellphone box in his hand. ANd got to talking to him. THe 70 year old man with cane turned out to be a 91 !!! year old man. His phone quit working and he didnt know why. But he was willing to wait. Naturally not one person in line was angry or told him to get in the back of the line. One guy let him sit in his chair. After about an hour we figured out he had been plugging in the wrong charger to his phone, and it just ran out of power. So the guy who gave him his seat, happened to have a Nokia battery in his phone that fir the guys phone. So that guys gives the 91 year old man his battery, so he didn't have to wait another hour.

Moral of the story the man who lived a long full life, an was pleasant saw his "problem" of his phone not working as an opportunity to sit down and talk to and get to know people. And eventually all of us Technophiles figured out a simple solution of giving him a battery.

Now for the humor:

4. I often wish that I could peddle my feet in thin air and fly.

Great story! And I love number 4.

FIrst time i backuped up all my photos a few years ago, I didnt have have that many and filled up a small hard drive. I then went to burn them on a dvd. Afterwards i formatted my hard drive and went to sleep. it was pretty late. Next morning i realized i never burned the dvd backup. BOOM a years worth of photos gone.

Next time i decided i would dedicate a harddrive just for backup. A workman knocked the harddrive a few weeks later onto a tile floor. BOOM hard drive crash. and photos gone.

5 years later.... I now have my photos with me at all times on a a portable hard drive since i take way to many of the same thing and fill up my laptop.

And I have a nice big desktop external drive I backup all those photos to. And my second backup I do every week onto DVDs. The key word being SECOND backup. In the techworld we have a paradigm that states electronic backups don't really exist until they exist twice.

Because if you only backup to dvds you can bet when you need one itll be scratched. and if you backup only to a harddrive, you can bet it'll get knocked on the ground.

So I agree with Guy, get an Epson for the road to backup your cards to immediately. And as soon as you can burn those to a dvd as well. If you routinely carry the epson with you, then i suggest a backup on a large external drive at your home or office as well.

Also, bt of advice, a buddies neighborhood a rash of breakins last summer. Not only was his computer stolen, but all his hard drives right next to it, and the CD/DVD cases with all his years of backups of his graphic design and photography work.

In one fell swoop he lost everything. Moral of this story, you can take you DVD backups and put them offsite.

Now when I travel. If I think ill want all my photos with me, for instance going to see a client or something out of state. If flying I bring my small DVD case with the 30 or so backup DVDs in them, and leave my portable hard drive at home. This way if the luggage gets bounced around, or the airplane hits turbulence, etc..... I have a medium that is immune to vibration and magnetic fields.

Mario

Well, I am glad I touched off a fun little thread here. I know it was off topic by the way, but I thought I'd do one of these in my years as a member of Leica forums :)

Some thoughts now that I've had it for a weekend, and why I compared it to a Leica (this is my thin attempt at making the posting relevant). The screen is terrific, the user interface first class, the phone nice but not spectacular and the WiFi capability absolutely fantastic. Did I mention the little built-in speakers that let you listen to your iPod part of the phone when sitting at your desk? Nice touch Apple.

The keyboard is strange and will take some getting used to. I have a Blackjack as well with traditional keyboard and it's much faster for me at the moment.

How about the camera... a nice little 2MP camera, no custom settings available. Very good for a cell phone, not as good as the camera in the Blackjack which allows for white balance and custom settings like Sepia and B&W.

OK, so why did I compare it to my Leicas? It is elegant, very different and, to the average person, something that is hard for them to understand shelling out the money for. I actually had a serious bout of buyers remorse the next day as I needed the camera like a hole in the head but that soon passed as I spent the day cruising the day at WiFi speeds while watching a little tv. Great execution on this product, now all they do is to set up true exchange compliance (not imap) and those of us in corporations will be happy campers.

OK, I'm off to decide what Leica gear will be coming with me to Miami and Paris the next two weeks. Enough of this phone stuff, back to the M8 and some street shooting :)

Kent

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks Kent nice to talk about for a moment with members and i agree on all counts . Great device , glad i went for it and i love e-mail on this and what i needed most. So in the end i am happy , thanks for sharing the moment on it.

Guest guy_mancuso

Jono just to make you drool a little more. i just loaded 450 images from my Germany trip on it and it does slide shows . So now i can hand it to my wife and kids and they can just watch. NOW that is pretty cool. :D

Nice thing is Apples optimization of the files is really good

Jono just to make you drool a little more. i just loaded 450 images from my Germany trip on it and it does slide shows . So now i can hand it to my wife and kids and they can just watch. NOW that is pretty cool. :D

What was that you said? I couldn't quite hear? please could you say it again?

No - sorry - you aren't getting through.

:(

Guy, did you get the 4GB or the 8GB?

Went to the 5th Ave store today but they only had 4GB iPhones so I decided to wait for the 8!

Guest guy_mancuso

I went for the 8gb, my store here in Phoenix ran out of everything while I was there this morning bringing in my daughters laptop. You know what one can do is get the 4gb and just put like a 1gb or 2gb of music on than just replace it once a week or so. i put 4gb of music and the rest saving for images which really don't take up a lot of space

Please don't feel lonely, Jono!

I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Then again, I'll cheat al little, as I'm going to San Francisco in August. Héhé.

There's no point buying one, as it would be useless in Europe right now, but a small "accidental" visit of the Apple store with the wife will allow me to handle one and prepare my dearest mentally for a future purchase. ;)

Shouldn't be too hard, we've already had several macs and she loves it.