Sign in to follow this  
kdemas

First post from iPhone

apple = scabies

on my 4th ARCHOS Av500

makes all ipods look like childs gimmicks

big companies, big consumerism is bad news

funnily enough, archos is going the same way and their series 4 players are just plain wrong

same thing has happened to lotus cars, naim audio, linn hifi & so many other companies that used to be so great

for phone i use a nokia 6310 from 2001, one of the best phones ever made

and best of all, it actually works, makes calls, and does everything (like boot up and dial) instantaneously

I'd like to know how one can get images form a digital camera (Leica or other) into an iPhone.

I've been using an HP iPaq (PDA/phone) and it has an SD card slot. Thus it is easy to email photos I shot with my camera and of course this makes the memory capacity unlimitted. It seems to do more than the iPhone too, but doesn't have as slick an interface I suspect.

It also has interchangeable batteries for extended use.

I'd like to know how one can get images form a digital camera (Leica or other) into an iPhone.

Presumably you'd have to get the images onto your Mac first.

If it was made my Microsoft Appleites would be pointing out all the flaws in the design, but since it's sold by Apple (and manufactured by?) it'll be the best thing since the Newton

I've been using an HP iPaq (PDA/phone) and it has an SD card slot. Thus it is easy to email photos I shot with my camera and of course this makes the memory capacity unlimitted. It seems to do more than the iPhone too, but doesn't have as slick an interface I suspect.

It also has interchangeable batteries for extended use.

Yes, when you plug the iPhone into your computer via the included USB it sync's your data, so you can upload music, photos, contacts, etc. from your computer to the device.

best-John

Edit: My favorite feature is the unlimited web and email time, not affecting your call plan minutes or incuring an additional charge.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What does your mobile phone look like, Mark?

It's not an "Apple" thing, it's a "product I put in my pocket with my keys and small change and occasionally drop" thing. All MP3 players get scruffy.

Andy, actually, my mobile phone, which is a Sony Ericsson, is fine; the problem with the iPod is the soft materials used (chrome plating, acrylic) and the high-sheen surfaces which show up scratches very easily.

I almost bought an Apple MacBook Pro and then I remembered I got all excited about an Apple Newton and that was a piece of junk. Instead, I bought a Sony SZ which is perfect and I'm writing this from a hotel room in Verona with 3G broadband access.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well I got half way there today. i went to the AT&T store and looked at it and it really is nice but for the moment i need to get away from Sprint and the costs for me. So in preperation i switched to AT&T and bought a Blackberry Pearl for me until i get the IPhone. i also bought my wife and daughter the same phone there 99 dollars each with the 2 year plan so i saved about 600 dollars just signing up and getting 4 new phones , I got my son a smaller phone. So with four phones and internet data service my monthly bill is reduced about 150 dollars a month. So on that end i did well, now all I have to do is buy the IPhone and just replace my number from the Blackberry and give my son that one or as backup for a lost one. I wanted to wait about a month before I got the IPhone to see how well it does. I have to say though playing with around on it Apple has a clear winner on there hands , this thing is the best idea i have seen in a phone, i agree 8gb is limiting with Itunes and photos but the photos loked really good on the display and easily a handy dandy feature for a shooter

I Live in the sticks Hailey idaho and when I had a digital only phone my signal phone, my range was terrible. I am now on verizon and much happier. Also when I am away on weekends shooting pro football I never get charged extra for usng my phone as a modem. Though I do not have evdo service but the regular speed from verizon is usable. Have fun those of you that get it. David

If it was made my Microsoft Appleites would be pointing out all the flaws in the design, but since it's sold by Apple (and manufactured by?) it'll be the best thing since the Newton

Which is one of the biggest similarities with Leica.

I must admit I was not aware that anyone gave a damn about cell phones enough to generate the emotional reponses on this note....could just be the crowd on this forum.

I'll start another battle right now!: I use Charmin to wipe my rear....it's the best and anyone who says otherwise is a looser, moron and probably has a dirty bottom. The Charmin engineers have a really durable product that will be worth more later on when you go to sell it.

the photos loked really good on the display and easily a handy dandy feature for a shooter

This is one reason I am gonna go take a look. If I can carry a portfolio in my pocket, access my website, etc. AND HAVE IT LOOK GOOD have a Nano's worth of tunes and a smart phone in a single thing in my pocket, well that would make it worthwhile for me.

At this point I have a 2.5 year old TREO 650 plus one of 3 iPods (depending) and nothing that I'd like to see or show images on.

Since my knee is fantastically better 2 days after surgery I am going for a short walk to get brunch and visit the AT&T store and at least see this thing up close.

It really took a few years and a few generations for the iPod to really come into it's own and I can certainly see a new family of widescreen iPods coming out (just in time for Christmas) based on the iPhone's design and interface.

Well walking to the brunch place and back was probably more than I should have done even though it is but a few city blocks!

Did get to play with an iPhone -- but AT&T store was sold out.

First impressions:

The screen was FILLED with fingerprints, so I wiped it clean on my sleeve (not perfect but it worked). BTW fingerprints (my own) never seemed to mar the user experience -- you can only see them when the light hits at the wrong angle.

Things work pretty much as advertised -- scrolling and double tapping, re-orienting landscape to portrait and vice versa are all quite snappy and intuitive.

Web access over WiFi is very decent and miles ahead of my Treo over its network. No Flash (big bummer) and apparently no Java, but a website I created with iWeb works great unlike on my Treo where it doesn't work well at all.

Photos from iPhoto display quickly and look great and flip view in iTunes works a charm. It's obvious that there will be an iPod using this form factor and much upgraded interface sometime soon!

Guest guy_mancuso

Ah crap . i did the ungodly . I went to the Apple store to get my daughters Macbook fixed , logic board looks like it is shot and have to go back with a firewire drive to back it up . I can't see the screen at all . But anyway guess what the hell they had right there in front of me , you guessed it about 200 Iphones ready to be bagged and taken home. My wife was with me and i gave her those freaking puppy eyes, well that did not work but she went and bought me one anyway. Okay it cost me a Couch handbag. LOL Than went to Saks by herself , now that i am not even going to ask what was in the bag. Well i am syncing now and it activated in 3 minutes , i guess that nightmare crunch for activation is over. i am going back to AT&t store and see if i can return one Blackberry and get setup once agin. BTW the folks at AT&T at least were i have gone are really nice and very helpful. So far good but time will tell.

BTW the Apple store in question is at the Biltmore in Phoenix, if you want one call them up or get down there.

Looks like i will sell my Treo 700 palm now

Guy, you are your own worst enemy.....LOL I have been watching ebay for the past two days. There are over 6000 listings for iphone. They are ridiculously priced and by the way, they are not selling. The ones I have been watching where there is no reserve and starting bid of $1, usually have the auction ended and all bids cancelled it appears. I just bid on a couple of them for $100 to see what happens. If they sell them and get payed with Paypal, they need to get at least $700 in order to break even with the fees and sales tax they have already paid. Given what Guy indicates by his purchase, there are many Apple stores that have them in stock. Those that bought them first in order turn a quick buck are likely to eat them. Oh well, the free market system at work. If I could just get a couple of 55 UV/IR filters..........

The iPhone is shown to be surprisingly rugged:

PC World - iPhone Stress Tests

Wow, glad to know that.

I especially like where he tries to deliberately scratch the screen with a key and can't!

I have to admit that the biggest impression I came away with after my 10 minutes with it in the store is how unlike anything else it is. This thing makes all other digital handheld devices seem -- I don't know -- so last century!

Yeah, I'm gonna get one.

Ah crap . i did the ungodly . I went to the Apple store to get my daughters Macbook fixed , logic board looks like it is shot and have to go back with a firewire drive to back it up . I can't see the screen at all . But anyway guess what the hell they had right there in front of me , you guessed it about 200 Iphones ready to be bagged and taken home. My wife was with me and i gave her those freaking puppy eyes, well that did not work but she went and bought me one anyway. Okay it cost me a Couch handbag. LOL Than went to Saks by herself , now that i am not even going to ask what was in the bag. Well i am syncing now and it activated in 3 minutes , i guess that nightmare crunch for activation is over. i am going back to AT&t store and see if i can return one Blackberry and get setup once agin. BTW the folks at AT&T at least were i have gone are really nice and very helpful. So far good but time will tell.

BTW the Apple store in question is at the Biltmore in Phoenix, if you want one call them up or get down there.

Looks like i will sell my Treo 700 palm now

Guy, that's funny.You'll find that it surfs the web very quickly when using your home wi-fi connection. (altough it's been reported that he EDGE speed has been boosted, and I found it to be decent) It's just a bit tedious to enter the WEP or WPA security key on that virtual keyboard. Later, you might have to hit Wireless in the Settings menu to rejoin your wirelesss network, espescially if you have the SSID broadcast turned off, as you should. Also, you should be able to transfer your existing mobile # since you're with ATT anyhow.

I love the damned thing.

-best-John

PS /You might also encounter some email configuration problems with your ISP, they like to limit remote access to email accounts

Okay it cost me a Couch handbag. LOL Than went to Saks by herself , now that i am not even going to ask what was in the bag.

Whatever you do, don't move to Chevy Chase. If your wife takes a shining to the expensive stores we have in the Friendship Heights strip you could forget about buying any more cameras and toys for yourself. Here are some (and this doesn't include the high end furniture places like Roche Boboise and others.)

Barneys CO-OP

Brooks Brothers

Bvlgari

Cartier

Christian Dior

Gucci

Jimmy Choo

Lacoste

Lord & Taylor

Louis Vuitton

Max Mara

Neiman Marcus