Leica SL Tether Failure

jheroun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been unable to shoot tethered with my SL. Has anyone experienced this problem? 

I connect to Leica Image Shuttle 3, and set Lightroom to watch a folder for captures designated by LIS. All software and plugins are up to date, but the camera freezes after a single shutter activation. It won't even shut off without first ejecting the battery, a condition that never occurs other than when tethered. It's completely inoperable, unlike tethering with my older S camera, which works flawlessly.

Researching online, I've not been able to find any mention of this problem from anyone else. 

I appreciate any insights other SL shooters may have.

J Heroun

That's a good point, and I will try that. I used to tether directly to LR with my S2. Image Shuttle 3 promised a better interface, with the ability to control camera functions via computer. Since Leica designed the software specifically to function with the SL it's not too much to expect it to work as advertised. I was curious whether it was limited to my camera or a wider problem. Seeing that Brembeck43 cites the same issue, it may indicate a systemic problem.

It's especially unnerving since Leica positions the SL as a pro-level camera, which means it must be reliable under all conditions. Tethering is essential to that mission and a baseline of functionality. Likewise, the SL's WLAN wireless tethering too is flawed. Nifty and brilliant when it works, but frustrating as hell when it drops out, which is frequent. But that's another thread.

For me, tethering any camera with Lightroom never been reliable. About a year ago I switched from Lightroom to Capture One. Along the way I discovered the combination of Leica Image Shuttle and Capture One. For me, LIS, C1 and the SL are highly reliable.

Tom

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me, tethering any camera with Lightroom never been reliable. About a year ago I switched from Lightroom to Capture One. Along the way I discovered the combination of Leica Image Shuttle and Capture One. For me, LIS, C1 and the SL are highly reliable.

Tom

Dear Tom,

Can you explain me how you were able to use Capture One with the Sl?

I tried but could not.

If I guess correctly you are using Leica Software for the tethering and while saving it to a folder, C1 listens to it.

Am I right?

Thanks!

Daniel

Dear Tom,

Can you explain me how you were able to use Capture One with the Sl?

I tried but could not.

If I guess correctly you are using Leica Software for the tethering and while saving it to a folder, C1 listens to it.

Am I right?

Thanks!

Daniel

That's exactly the way it works. 

Yes, I use the proprietary cable. Remember, the problem involved more than SL to LR, it's the triangle of the camera, Image Shuttle, and LR working in conjunction. Which it does seamlessly with my S2. In any case, I tried Tom's suggestion of using Cap One, which I've been wanting to try anyway. Not only does that solve the tethering problem, but I'm blown away by the software, which is a quantum leap over Lightroom. Everything I've read about it appears to be true: C1's raw processor is superior to LR, with much better dimension, color, and smoother dynamic range. (I say smoother rather than greater because dynamic range is determined by the sensor; C1 just distributes the tonality more accurately, resulting in smoother transitions.) Plus the degree of control is beyond compare. Though where C1 lags behind LR—according to my research—is in cataloging. Though I'm not that far into it, I've just been experimenting with the trial version. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse my beginner’s questions: 1. Are you using a Tether tools cable or some other set up? 2. Is the SL handheld or tripod mounted? 3. Are you connecting to a Mac Book Pro , I Mac or Mac Pro? 4. How is the communication between the camera and computer for multiple shots in rapid succession? Any data buffering or truncation? 5. Are you using this in conjunction with mono light flash? If so what type?

I too would like to use my SL in the studio tethered by cable to my Macbbok Pro/Versa powered laptop. Subjects would be either product or static fashion portraits. I’d use a tripod with sl trigger for product and hand hold for fashion. Lighting would be from Broncolor Monologhts with Rfs control via an IPad and hot shoe transceiver.

So before I expend untold amounts of studio time trying to make this all work, I believe the key is the tethering. All of my colleagues using other systems (Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad)all use hard wired Tether tools set ups. A lot are going to Capture one too. Profoto or Broncolor seems to be the monolight or power pack light set ups of choice. Is this yorexperience too?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: below is a recent reply I authored on another forum thread earlier today; might benefit some of the readers on this thread, and I have a question regarding High-Sierra compatibility.

I Migrated away from LR early in 2017.  I found C1Pro to be MUCH more stable when tethering my Leica M (or SL) using Leica Image Shuttle 3 as my conduit, and setting up a watched folder in C1.

My opinions as to the main benefits of C1...

-Images seem to have more acutance without seeming over sharpened.

-The highlight-shadow HDR settings in C1 seem to be way superior than LR

-More defined color manipulation options in C1, although I'm still learning that module.

-Using the "migration" workspace in C1 helped tremendously in my transition from LR.

-I find C1 to be much faster importing/rendering previews, image culling and eventual processing.

I AM using a Tether Tools USB-3 cable; nothing unique about the Leica-branded cable that came with the SL IMO.

Just upgraded to C1Pro-11, so have lots more to get familiar with.

Have yet to upgrade to High-Sierra.  Would like to know if Leica Image Shuttle 3 and C1Pro-11 are compatible with Apple's new OS. Have not read definitive responses on these important questions.

Edited by ski542002

Have yet to upgrade to High-Sierra.  Would like to know if Leica Image Shuttle 3 and C1Pro-11 are compatible with Apple's new OS. Have not read definitive responses on these important questions.

Capture One 10 or 11 and Leica Image Shuttle 3 works fine with High-Sierra. 

Please excuse my beginner’s questions: 1. Are you using a Tether tools cable or some other set up? 2. Is the SL handheld or tripod mounted? 3. Are you connecting to a Mac Book Pro , I Mac or Mac Pro? 4. How is the communication between the camera and computer for multiple shots in rapid succession? Any data buffering or truncation? 5. Are you using this in conjunction with mono light flash? If so what type?

I too would like to use my SL in the studio tethered by cable to my Macbbok Pro/Versa powered laptop. Subjects would be either product or static fashion portraits. I’d use a tripod with sl trigger for product and hand hold for fashion. Lighting would be from Broncolor Monologhts with Rfs control via an IPad and hot shoe transceiver.

So before I expend untold amounts of studio time trying to make this all work, I believe the key is the tethering. All of my colleagues using other systems (Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad)all use hard wired Tether tools set ups. A lot are going to Capture one too. Profoto or Broncolor seems to be the monolight or power pack light set ups of choice. Is this yorexperience too?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I use Leica's proprietary USB, either handheld or on a tripod, connected to a year-old MacBook Pro running OS Sierra 10.12.6. The camera would freeze after shooting a single frame and wouldn't shut off until the battery was ejected and reinstalled. Ridiculous (and alarming!). Though I've since tested with Capture One using a watched file (C1 doesn't support Leica tethered) and that seems to work with no problems. So it appears Lightroom was the faulty link, despite the fact that the camera was not directly tethered to LR but rather to Image Shuttle. I haven't shot the SL tethered for an assignment since resolving that question, but I assume that, like any camera, buffering causes slow data flow after a series of bursts. It's the inherent limitation of any USB connection.

Not sure I understand your question about lights, any strobe system will work with the SL, it's merely a personal preference. But in terms of Capture One, since my post I've discovered how its raw conversion is noticeably better than Lightroom, with superior color and dynamic range that draws the most out of the DNG files. I highly recommend it.

Hello: I need my images to transfer to a real computer. Love my iPad, but as a production tool for anything pertinent, it's useless!

Oh ok. I have a two stage process, but see why you would tether and cut out the iToy. One when taking photos, especially landscapes for which the iToy works well. Second for working on images, for which i put SD card into slot and copy images.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my experience the LAN to iPad is unreliable, often cutting out. Plus, it's intended for shooting jpegs so they can be sent immediately from your device. When tethered, I'm shooting raw and capturing full-res files on two separate drives. I also need the larger screen for previewing lighting, etc.